Todsters Engine Rebuild

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thought I'd share with you some photos of my engine rebuild. I did a compression test last week, and no 1 and no 4 were seriously down on compression, on stripping the engine, I found cracks (in the usual place) between the spark plug and the inlet valve on both these pots. I have also been collecting goodies over the last few months for this rebuild, so as a starter for this week, this is what the engine looks like at the moment. I have already degreased the case and got the worst off, but I am going to have another go before I start the rebuild

On its stand
IMG_00011.jpg

Stripped down
IMG_00031.jpg

I took the oil pump out yesterday, what a pain that was - even with the correct tool, it did not want to budge, I ended up welding another piece onto the back of the tool to stop the bar bending, it was that tight.

I will post more pics as it comes together, on a tight schedule, as we are on holiday in 3 weeks, going to Croyde surfing!!

Cheers
Mark

Get on it chap! ;) nice work :mrgreen:

Easy....
I'm on it.. only got work stopping me.

Anyway, the last two days exploits as follows:

Managed to start the rebuild with a new heavy duty oil pump

IphonePictures022.jpg

New heads and Jaycee pushrod tubes 8) 8)
IphonePictures007.jpg

IphonePictures010.jpg

IphonePictures013.jpg

BMD Pulley and serpentine system and 75A Chrome Alternator
IphonePictures020.jpg

IphonePictures009.jpg

Also top coated the fan housing after days of primer, 1200 wet and dry, primer, 1200 wet and dry - not perfect, but its nearly 40 years old!!!!
IphonePictures019.jpg

Anyway, working away tomorrow and friday, so no work will get done on the bus :x :(

Cheers
Mark

Did you check the end float and split the case to check the bearings & saddles ?

Sounds lke the engine has been well used so it might be wise.

Hi Loxy,
Checked the end float and cant feel any, not split the case due to time pressure and the other half has been thinking of getting me a new engine kit for Chrismas. This looks like it will be put on hold due to us looking at extending the house (large double garage 8) as she is fed up with me working on the bus down at work - I've got a massive garage / storage area at work. I have never split a case, but would like to, just not worked up the courage yet.
We are going to Devon in 2 weeks time and then the bus is going to get some tlc over winter, needs front arches, bottom front panel, around windscreen panels, inside and out - all the usual places.

Cheers
Mark

Make sure you use thread lock on the alternator pulley bolt - you dont want it coming undone & causing wear in the pulley.....

Ask me how I know :oops:

Hi Mate,
Thanks for that gem, I'd not heard of that one. Can't wait to get back to it at the weekend, I'm hoping to have it rebuild and back in the bus this weekend, then going to Skeg or Norfolk next weekend on a test drive.

Cheers
Mark

Got a bit more done tonight, found this from last week, tinware after rust killer, and numerous coats of primer, 1200, primer, 1200 etc
IphonePictures028.jpg

CSP Rocker Covers 8)
IphonePictures012.jpg

Tinware finished and back on
IphonePictures016.jpg

IphonePictures025.jpg

Thats it for tonight, Hoping to get some more done after work tomorrow, but I'm not looking forward to taking the grinder to the alternator, to get it to fit!!! :shock: :shock:

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mate,
I've already removed the tab behind the top pulley, but on the bottom of the alternator there is a tab that stops the alternator from sitting on its stand properly, did you have the same problem?

Cheers
Mark

Todster said:
Hi Mate,
I've already removed the tab behind the top pulley, but on the bottom of the alternator there is a tab that stops the alternator from sitting on its stand properly, did you have the same problem?

Cheers
Mark

Are you using an old alternator stand/old generator one or a new dual purpose one?
I used an original german one & it went on fine.

Hi Loxy,
Originally, I was just going to put on a 75A alternator, and bought a kit from a supplier, various parts of the kit arrived, but no alternator. A month later, I was still waiting for the alternator that was on back order, and ended up having a chrome one that they had in stock, I'm now wondering if there are different stands for the 75A or if they are the same and there is a need to shave the two tabs on the bottom of the alternator off. If I put the alternator on the stand and push it back until these two tabs are touching the stand, the pulley is about 15mm out of line with the bottom pulley. If I rotate the alternator to where these tabs miss the stand, the alternator will go back far enough for the pulleys to line up, I just wondered if this was what you found?

Cheers
Mark

Todster said:
Hi Loxy,
Originally, I was just going to put on a 75A alternator, and bought a kit from a supplier, various parts of the kit arrived, but no alternator. A month later, I was still waiting for the alternator that was on back order, and ended up having a chrome one that they had in stock, I'm now wondering if there are different stands for the 75A or if they are the same and there is a need to shave the two tabs on the bottom of the alternator off. If I put the alternator on the stand and push it back until these two tabs are touching the stand, the pulley is about 15mm out of line with the bottom pulley. If I rotate the alternator to where these tabs miss the stand, the alternator will go back far enough for the pulleys to line up, I just wondered if this was what you found?

Cheers
Mark

have you tried fitting the tin to the alternator? as I think you will find it only fits at one angle due to the way it bolts on/through the fanhousing via the alternator backing plate if that makes sense?

Hi Mate,
Yeah, fitted the tin to the alternator, have a look in one of the first photos, the tin is on and the alternator is sat on the stand, only there are two castings on the bottom of the alternator that are not clearing the stand and are not allowing the alternator back far enough to line the pulleys up. I am going to fit the tin to the fanshroud tomorrow and have a see how much the casting needs doctoring, and will take photos if I get chance. I'm sure this will fit, but will need the dremel.....

Cheers
Mark

Todster said:
Hi Mate,
Yeah, fitted the tin to the alternator, have a look in one of the first photos, the tin is on and the alternator is sat on the stand, only there are two castings on the bottom of the alternator that are not clearing the stand and are not allowing the alternator back far enough to line the pulleys up. I am going to fit the tin to the fanshroud tomorrow and have a see how much the casting needs doctoring, and will take photos if I get chance. I'm sure this will fit, but will need the dremel.....

Cheers
Mark

Would have helped if I had looked at the pics you put up :lol:
Have you actually tried putting the fan housing on there as well though? I see in the pic you have put the alternator backing plate on with the holes appearing to be level horizontally IIRC correctly the fan housing backing plate mounting holes are not actually level they are tilted to one side - wasnt sure if this would be enough to aid clearance?
I'm just guessing now though - sounds like a quick bit of dremel action will sort it ;)

Hi all,
Further to yesterdays activities, below is the problem I was facing...
IphonePictures031.jpg

The alternator would not slide back far enough due to the two lugs...
IphonePictures033.jpg

Not for long...
IphonePictures035.jpg

Then on with the rebuild...
IphonePictures034.jpg

IphonePictures032.jpg

Thats all I had time for tonight, with a bit of luck it will be back together for the weekend.

Cheers
Mark

Todster said:
Oh, forgot to say, got the threadlock on the top pulley bolt and torqued up today, thanks for the tip Loxy 8) 8)

Cheers
Mark

8) I noticed another guy on the ssvc the other day that had the same problem as me - will have to get my alt pulley machined at some point to cure the wobblieness :cry:

Glad the alternator mods worked out ok - does seem odd that you have to grind bits off to make it fit though :?

Did you go for a top end rebuild or just 2 x new heads?
Also how much for the top end / heads and the serpentine belt?

Todster said:
Oh, forgot to say, got the threadlock on the top pulley bolt and torqued up today, thanks for the tip Loxy 8) 8)

Cheers
Mark

I hope you turned that cone shaped collar on the alternator pulley round (its on the wrong way round in your pics) before you threadlocked it ;)

Only pic on the bmd pulley website that you can see it clearly:
x6.JPG

Latest posts