Took the 68 on it's first road trip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volksnut

Reaction score
and WOW was it hot (sign said 99 degrees) rode 5 1/2" hours in that thing, got 22 mpg though not to bad running @ 4000rpm...I passed 1 car, and got passed by thousands...thinking about getting a Komfortbar..get those feet off the floor, anyone else use one?

Komfortbar is sort of a roll bar that is designed around the front of the cab and has 4 attaching points, it is about 16" above the floor and is used to rest your feet on....Foreign Unlimited carrys them now
check their site http://www.foreignunlimited.com look under photo page

volksnut said:
and WOW was it hot (sign said 99 degrees) rode 5 1/2" hours in that thing, got 22 mpg though not to bad running @ 4000rpm...I passed 1 car, and got passed by thousands...thinking about getting a Komfortbar..get those feet off the floor, anyone else use one?

Good outing fella

well I did the math and it looks as though I was traveling at 67 mph (speedo error with low profile tires) I could have slowed it down a bit for mileage (showed good a/f reading though) but I would have bet I was traveling at 55 considering the wind velocity of the passing motorists :D

well as I was picking up bus parts it was the quickest route from point A to point B, all interstate which is flat and straight...you want beautiful driving I lived in Western North Carolina for 4 years, love to have had my bus up there..but I had my bug....very nice and cool, this is a picture I took on the way to work one day with my 62...now they use it on cal-look.com
card1.jpg

BeetleWarrior said:
volksnut, Very nice looking '62. Are those louvers in the upper corners of the engine lid? If so were they bolt on's or stamped?

It looks like a genuine Riverside EMPI decklid.

Blinkin nice bug! 8)

Sun??? no sun today only dark and grim in Bristol :cry:

volksnut said:
well as I was picking up bus parts it was the quickest route from point A to point B, all interstate which is flat and straight...you want beautiful driving I lived in Western North Carolina for 4 years, love to have had my bus up there..but I had my bug....very nice and cool, this is a picture I took on the way to work one day with my 62...now they use it on cal-look.com
card1.jpg

Nice bug

well it was a limited repop fiberglass Empi lid by no other than Simon and Shane in the UK...I've since sold the lid and the car, I now have a turbo'ed 72 standard beetle in other pictures on the site...I also had the infamous Junkyard Turbo buggy, seen in Ultra VW and a few dune buggy books by James Hale....here's one
Image3.jpg

and my 72 at last years Bug Jam
238194.jpg

here's the turbo 1600, homegrown with SU carb (I kind of favor these carbs)
212272.jpg

Nicely crowbarred in the engine bay 8)

Latest posts