Top end rebuild

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi all

Couple of quick questions I wanted to get advice on...

1) I'm going to do a top end rebuild- just wondering who the best people were to get the bits. I was looking at the 1641 kit from VW Heritage- any thoughts? I've not got massively deep pockets I have to say!! But I do want decent kit.

2) I was always told by my old Beetle engine guru to leave the bottom end alone if there was no endfloat and things were OK- I'm going to stick to this, but what do people think?

Hi,

You could ask for the EB discount when you give vwheritage a buzz - or Alex on hear will be able to advise if it's relevant for web bundle prices - I found that buying bits (I did a 1641 upgrade) from different places such as vwheritage, machine7 I could get the best price on individual components - but bundle prices are hard to beat so would give 'em a call and see if you get any additional discount ;)

There's some discussion on what's worth doing - as the engines out then obviously tinware, flaps e.t.c. are worth reinstating - I didn't do anything on my bottom end but did receive advise on simple bits to change whilst the block was out (but was already over my head and didn't want to go too far taking it apart :D )

There seems to be a common consensus that the money involved in going to 1641cc isn't worth spending - apparently, very little or no gain for the extra cash. I have no experience myself but that's what I pick up.

I did a top end rebuild a while ago and while I was at it, did a mild flow job on the heads. Zero cost (already had die grinder, needed gaskets, etc) but managed to get 5bhp at the wheels which is more than you'd get from an extra 41cc, I believe.

I have a 1641 good for a extra 1/2 bhp gas flowed head it all adds up
These cheap piston made by AA are pretty good.

http://www.veewee.co.uk/index.php/parts/engine/pistons-barrels-rings/164vg0130?vehicle=VW-Beetle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts