Tyres and\or coilovers required?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ruth

Part Number is 455VG0850, rear coilovers off a beetle, its on page 99 of their catalogue

Graham L said:
Hi Ruth

Part Number is 455VG0850, rear coilovers off a beetle, its on page 99 of their catalogue

Thanks Graham :worship: , ordered from http://www.veeweeco.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is apparently gsf's VW website and they were cheaper there!
Fingers crossed it works out ok, the part was found on the web site and it says they're coil overs, so got a good chance!

i think they need modifying to fit straight from GSF or am i a bit behind the times (as usual) I think it was just a shave on the mounts to get the nut on or something like that.

Yes the bottom tube is usually too long to go onto the bolt but easily fixed with either a hacksaw or angle grinder :lol: :lol:

Graham L said:
Yes the bottom tube is usually too long to go onto the bolt but easily fixed with either a hacksaw or angle grinder :lol: :lol:

Doh! I thought you told me all we needed was another jack to push the bottom of the shock up to fit?!

Sorry Ruth forgot about those bits, easy enough to do with basic tools still.

Graham L said:
Sorry Ruth forgot about those bits, easy enough to do with basic tools still.

It'll just be another reason for my hubby to blame me. Usually it's my fault when things go wrong, even when I'm not there and haven't had anything to do with it. At least this time he'll have a slight excuse to yell at me when he manages to cut his hand, or drop something on his foot!

Would we have had this problem had we bought the ones from you that are off the shelf with the motorsport springs?

ruth11 said:
It'll just be another reason for my hubby to blame me. Usually it's my fault when things go wrong, even when I'm not there and haven't had anything to do with it. At least this time he'll have a slight excuse to yell at me when he manages to cut his hand, or drop something on his foot!

Just tell him he hasnt done a proper days work unless he has a scar to prove it. :msn4:

antoine said:
ruth11 said:

Just tell him he hasnt done a proper days work unless he has a scar to prove it. :msn4:

Oh, he understands that and agrees completely. Doesn't stop it being my fault though ;)

Ok, in all seriousness, would the ones from TH or T2D or yourselves Graham, fit without the need to modify them?

I'm thinking it's worth the extra few quid if they would (just in saved grief from the old man!). I would think I can still cancel my order from GSF.... As long as I do it this afternoon.....

No they all need modifying I'm afraid as they all come from the same source

I fitted mine by compressing them with a ratchet strap - much easier IMHO than faffing with another jack. Good luck.

dannyboy said:
I fitted mine by compressing them with a ratchet strap - much easier IMHO than faffing with another jack. Good luck.

Thanks, sounds like we might need it :)

Well, coilovers are on - apparently took 20 mins each side, so no bother :)

However, whilst getting down and dirty under there, hubby has found that Slamwerks have done a couple of things that TH don't do in their instructions.
1. We appear to no longer have bump stops (they've been cut off on our bus but appear to still be there on the photos on TH's instructions)
2. We no longer have any brake backing plates. It seems rather than cut them so they fit as per TH instructions, they've just removed them.

Is either of these things being missing a problem? Don't want to go and complain if it's fairly normal practice and nothing to worry about.

Thanks

well if its got fliped ball joints then no need to remove bump stops,but if it has adjusters then yes they have to be removed,i allways cut backing plates to clear ball joint on drop spindles it only takes a few secs :roll:

We don't have adjusters, so I guess that means we should still have the bump stops.
Hmmm... I suppose there's nothing we can do now they're gone, but is it going to cause a problem?

And yes, I wouldn't have thought it would take too long to modify the backing plates... Should we be going back to them and asking them to sort that out - ie modify the ones they took off and get them sent back to us?

It seems that we also don't have our anti-roll bar either.

Why would we be missing this? Explanation from Slamwerks is that it is "difficult" to put back. Surely "difficult" is no reason for not putting it back?!

They are going to take the bus back and sort it out so no complaints with the after care service. Just feel a bit put out that they didn't tell us these parts were now missing and the reasons behind it. Also that they didn't give them back to us, just kept them. We might never have known if we hadn't needed to fit the coilovers.

I guess I'm posting this as a warning - check you've still got all the bits you started with when you take your beloved somewhere for work, even somewhere with a good rep.

T2D also remove the backing plates - I cut mine and mentioned it to Alex who updated his instructions...I also think that T2D remove the antiroll bar, to put them on flipped is a real pain and impossible if the beam is narrowed.

Is the beam a slamwerks bay beam, ie not a stock bay beam?

The only thing with bumpstops is they help in a failure - not that it happens very often, but if the springpack failed completely then the wheel would connect with the arch potentially.

I don't have bumpstops and perhaps naively happy to carry the kids around in it....

dubdubz said:
T2D also remove the backing plates - I cut mine and mentioned it to Alex who updated his instructions...I also think that T2D remove the antiroll bar, to put them on flipped is a real pain and impossible if the beam is narrowed.

Is the beam a slamwerks bay beam, ie not a stock bay beam?

The only thing with bumpstops is they help in a failure - not that it happens very often, but if the springpack failed completely then the wheel would connect with the arch potentially.

I don't have bumpstops and perhaps naively happy to carry the kids around in it....

Thanks for your reply

Our beam is still stock. All we had fitted was dropped spindles and rear adjustable spring plates.

Am a bit put out that the bump stops were removed for no reason - I realise it's a safety thing and it would appear it wasn't necessary with this lowering. The rest, if it's normal to remove it all, then fair enough. Just would have been nice to have been told and to be given the parts back.

Latest posts