Tyres / Stance Thread - Lets see what ya runnin!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just Got some fuch rep;icas from midland wheels £239 for a set of 4 plus postage
http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/C-105-5.5-x-15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
will update pics soon

776675.jpg

Narrowed BALL JOINT beam by VintageAutohaus
Dropped spindle BALL JOINT by VintageAutohaus
Rear Adjustable Plates by VintageAutohaus
BBT Sprint Star Replica in 5,5 inch
Front Tyres 165/50/15
Rear Tyres 185/65/15

Hi guys,

Just a question.. had anyone faced any issues using the lower profile tyres? Understand that the it is recommended to use commercial rated tyres with reinforce walls :? and using passenger car tyres may have hazardous results...
Thanks...

Khris.

khrisng said:
Hi guys,

Just a question.. had anyone faced any issues using the lower profile tyres? Understand that the it is recommended to use commercial rated tyres with reinforce walls :? and using passenger car tyres may have hazardous results...
Thanks...

Khris.

No, I haven't.
Modern saloon cars are as heavy as a 40 year old bus anyway. :)

Yeah Sparkywig, thats what I thought as well logically... What load ratings have you got on those tyres? Sufficient for the weight?

I think load rating on tyres makes quite a big difference to the drive. The other thing is that clued up old bill and insurance companies can easily find out the axleweight for any given vehicle. It would be extremely unlikely that a tyre would fail as there is such a huge safety factor, and if the load index is anywhere near right it prob wouldnt make a difference, but with tyres its always worth spending a bit extra in my opinion.
I have just put some 185 60 14's with an 82 Load rating - and i'm not that impressed, so will prob change to 175 65 to get a bigger choice, and a higher rating given that when the westy is loaded up its prob one of the heaviest bus's

Good question though.

I have always assumed that there isn't that much weight at the front of the bus - which is where most people run skinnys. At the back where all the weight is, people usually put the complete opposite - doughnuts!

Anyway, when you think of all the chav'd up cars and performace ones going around with rubber bands for tyres and on the front which is where all the weight is - they have to be under more load than our busses? :?: :|

Extra points to anyone that can use more metaphors to describe tyres than me :lol:

For example:

280107_1338.jpg

onyx-platinum-RR-1.jpg

rieger-tuning-audi-a4.jpg

e46%20silver%20beyern.jpg

tire-concerns-low-profile-tires-21320335.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

r73 said:
I think load rating on tyres makes quite a big difference to the drive. The other thing is that clued up old bill and insurance companies can easily find out the axleweight for any given vehicle. It would be extremely unlikely that a tyre would fail as there is such a huge safety factor, and if the load index is anywhere near right it prob wouldnt make a difference, but with tyres its always worth spending a bit extra in my opinion.
I have just put some 185 60 14's with an 82 Load rating - and i'm not that impressed, so will prob change to 175 65 to get a bigger choice, and a higher rating given that when the westy is loaded up its prob one of the heaviest bus's

Hi R73, so what happned on the 186 60 tyres?

Yeah cunning plan, while looking through the tyres/stance thread, it will be the natural assumption for choosing bigger tyres for the rear. Or could it be another way to prevent the rear from sagging?
You did bring up an interesting point with the sup up cars using low profiles all round and it will be silly if they use big ones on the front.. :lol:

Here is mine!
Front: 145/65 R15 on 1" narrowed Torque wheels
Rear: 195/60 R15 on 5.5 Torque

0578d715.jpg

3b122b40.jpg

Nice stances all! 8) a very comprehensive guide all of these i believe! 8)

Transporterhaus dropped spindles on the front
Horseshore plates on the rear
everything else standard
BBT replica sprinstars with

175/55/15 Fronts
and
186/65/15 Rears

bus2.jpg

bus1.jpg

Here's mine:-

camperpentewen2.jpg

Running T2D dropped spindals
CE adj spring plates
KYB GR2's all round
Splitscreen wheels
165/50 15
175/65 15

:)

khrisng said:
r73 said:

Hi R73, so what happned on the 186 60 tyres?

still running the 185/60/14's now with empi coilovers - think Graham has the best tyre choice in 175/55/15 though slightly better load rating and a few mill shorter. but i dont want to buy new wheels!

baycrazy said:
Here's mine:-

camperpentewen2.jpg

Running T2D dropped spindals
CE adj spring plates
KYB GR2's all round
Splitscreen wheels
165/50 15
175/65 15

:)

love the stance - is your beam std? I tried gr2's on the front of mine with dropped spindles but still get some rubbage- i got bigger tyres tho 185-60-14 so i guess if yours is ok thats the difference?

Heres my humble offering, two splines at the rear with notched plates, adjusters up front. 165/65/14s and err something huge on the back, cant remember what they are 185 something or other :lol:

DSCN1880.jpg

DSCN1882.jpg

No tyre srubbing issues here, but I do scrape the tarmac with the front bumper / anti roll bar, especially now all three of us ride up front :lol:

Latest posts