Tyres / Stance Thread - Lets see what ya runnin!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread and I just skimmed through the lot. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

If you lower with adjusters the front wheel moves back in the arch.

Everyone is selling the same "upside down" dropped spindles. What does the MOT man think of these and has anyone put a lot of miles on them?

It's not possible to get the front really low without either fitting teeny weeny tyres, or narrowing and tubbing.

Do adjustable spring plates/ boomerang things screw up the camber? I cant see how they wouldn't. Prob missing something!

Yes - I want the impossible - Low, nice ride, stock rims and tyres. I may have to tub and narrow.:(

If you lower with adjusters the front wheel moves back in the arch.
Yes, unless you get really low then they could potentially start going front again

Everyone is selling the same "upside down" dropped spindles. What does the MOT man think of these and has anyone put a lot of miles on them?
They were extensively tested before going on the market I'm led to believe, I know of a few peeps that have tested their vans with them on without trouble

It's not possible to get the front really low without either fitting teeny weeny tyres, or narrowing and tubbing.
Err, no...but have you seen the Murphy Split Panelvan? full sized tyres, very low, but tubbed front AND back :shock:

Do adjustable spring plates/ boomerang things screw up the camber? I cant see how they wouldn't. Prob missing something!
I recently fitted adjustable springplates and the camber has increased considerably

Yes - I want the impossible - Low, nice ride, stock rims and tyres. I may have to tub and narrow.:(
Yes you do :lol:

Regarding the rear camber, I was just going to say I'm amazed nobody is selling the obvious kit to compensate for this camber prob, then I thought I'll keep quiet, do it first and see what happens. :)

ZedBed said:
Regarding the rear camber, I was just going to say I'm amazed nobody is selling the obvious kit to compensate for this camber prob, then I thought I'll keep quiet, do it first and see what happens. :)
I quite like the camber, and you'd be suprised at how evenly the tyres wear.

:)

ZedBed said:

It doesn't affect the mot whether the ball joints are facing up or down. What the mot man is interested in is the play in the ball joint.

We have customers that have over 20000 km on the drop spindles.

ZedBed said:
These drop plates will lower your bus 4,5', narrow the rear track a bit and not modify the camber...

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/root-category/1968-79-bus-rear-end/1968-79-4-5-inch-rear-drop-plates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roland said:
ZedBed said:
These drop plates will lower your bus 4,5', narrow the rear track a bit and not modify the camber...

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/root-category/1968-79-bus-rear-end/1968-79-4-5-inch-rear-drop-plates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was the general idea - leave the diagonal arm which causes the camber where it is. Damn and blast. Thanks Roland - you just saved me re-inventing the wheel. :lol:

TH spindles 195/60/14 front
1 spline 195/65/14 rear

Rear tyres are too small for my liking...
DSCF3694.jpg

Now with bigger tyres on the back for cruising (185/92/14 I think). I kept the front ones as were. Looking a bit rakish, but I'm not quite finished yet.:)
DSCF3695.jpg

DSCF3696.jpg

Hi Chaps - I thought I would share mine with you having spent ages researching and sorting the suspension over the last year. I started off with a creative beam on spax adjustables. Howvere I Think Im there now. :lol: However I do find the ride bouncy (definatey not like stock!) - the handling is very good now though. Having spent a fortune im reluctant to spend any more on her (The family have to eat!) :lol: but I quite fancy some of the Midland early Bay custom Coil overs to smooth the ride out a bit. :mrgreen:

The set up is :
Front - Creative Weedeater 2 Beam (with end plates trimmed back)- adjusters in highest position (2" lower than stock). T2D Dropped spindles and Coilovers. Low profiles
Rear - T2D Rear spring plates and stock front bay shocks (original ones caused banging) :roll:

Have been playing around with coil-over settings - T2D set it up on lowest setting - Ive adjusted them up a click to try and calm down the bouncing! This hasnt raised the front at all but has stiffened it a bit.May go another click soon to see what happens.

Deffo drives better than just adjusters and I love the look! No rubbing or scraping and the beam has never hit the road and the roads in the fens are shit!

P1010095.jpg

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010099.jpg

jimbope - that is beautiful!! 8) Great stance and stunning bus :)

Does your rear bumper sit furhter back (away from the body) than normal?

Cheers for the comment Matty! :D

It is actually a Splitscreen rear bumper so yes it does fit in a slightly different place.

Feels like it's taken an age to get here but, at last...

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

The front is Slamwerks dropped spindles on a stock beam, GSF coilovers set on 3rd highest of 4 settings, and 175/65 tyres on standard 14" wheels. At the rear are Slamwerks adjustable springplates on the standard splines but dropped right down on the screw adjustment, and standard 185/14 tyres. There's just a hint of NDS unladen, less so with the full load on board. Zero rubbing so far with this set-up, v happy.

050901ac.jpg

Old school Swayway adjuster in the front beam and dropped 2 splines on the rear, she's been sat like this for 12 years :D bit bumpy but you get used to it :lol:

Third set of wheels :msn4:

Appliance Pacers , 5" x 15" all round , 185/65 at the back and 165/50s up front innit !

100_2909.jpg

Slightly lower at the front compared to when South African Sprints were on ;)

Latest posts