Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah its a deep loud knocking noise, from within the crank case, which is getting louder the more the motor runs, so big end bearing i bet. its allways a gamble with an unknown engine. at least its been an experiance building it, and ive learnt a fair bit.... for example i learnt never to buy a porsche engine :D lol

Just had a great weekend in the lake district camping near windermere. Always great when the camper makes folk smile, its like driving round spreading happiness. :mrgreen:

Porsche engines got anouthe day to go on ebay, no bids yet, so not a bad thing hey :mrgreen:

Next step strip it down and see whats wrong, or might play with the alfa engine see if I can get that going, or do both :lol:

Ok decided to strip the engine down to see what the problem is, took 5 1/2 hours for 2 of us to strip it down to the crank. Looks like maybe when it had stood prior to me buying the engine the crank had beem dry from 10+ years of being ubder a bench, then on first start up they have run dry, or maybe a blocked oil feed, anyway it needs new main, conrod and oil intermediate shaft bearings. I'll have to take the crank to an engine shop to see if I can get away with std bearings or maybe 25thou oversize bearings. Still not sure what i'm going to do, rebuild or strip for parts, :(
But an old 911 went past the house the other day and it sure sounded nice? :mrgreen:

anyway check out the pictures, a stripped engine sure goes along way around a garage :lol:
004.jpg

005.jpg

Case spilt
006.jpg

010.jpg

crank out
009.jpg

think all the bearings have a small amount of metal pick up, suspect oil stavation at some point, bearings dated 08.1986, so must have been the last time it was rebulit.
015.jpg

012.jpg

008.jpg

That was a big brave move 8) got to admire you for that :D
They do seem to contain more parts than is humanly possible, don't they?!?
Diagnosis doesn't sound too bad though :msn4:

hoping that the crank checks out for you, flat6 is an awesome sound, will be reet jealous :mrgreen:

had a better look at the bearings today. it will need the crank reground with 25 thou oversize mains and big end bearings, also a set of oil shaft and little end bearings. Now need to surf the net for some good prices. porsche dealers want silly money for a set of bearings.

Whilst await searching for more porsche engine parts (yes its back on) decided to fettle the kids radio flyer we bought from Stanford Hall this year.

Bit like the bus its a US import :lol: dated 1986.

It had a random bit missing, looks to have been cut out, no idea why :shock:
100_1079.jpg

100_1080.jpg

100_1081.jpg

I have a cunning plan to source all the parts in the US post to a fellow EB member in San Diego then get all the parts shipped over together as a gift and avoid the import duty :msn4:
Parts I need are
10 thou oversize main and big end bearings
Little end bearings
Full gasket set
Timing chain guides
Oil shaft bearings
Might even add in new valve guides
So it will be take 2 on the engine rebuild. Should be quicker 2nd time round. Only took 2 years the first time :lol:

uber cool said:
...So it will be take 2 on the engine rebuild. Should be quicker 2nd time round. Only took 2 years the first time :lol:
Great news!! 8) Tho not so keen on your post on Nelly's thread! :evil:

Benyon said:
Great news!! 8) Tho not so keen on your post on Nelly's thread! :evil:

Haha :lol: your not meant to be reading about my back up Alfa plan :lol: :lol: Having thought about it a lot lately if I fit the Alfa engine it will be good but I'll forever be slightly annoyed it's not the Porsche motor. However the Porsche motor costs are spirraling upwards at quite a rate and its not even running :shock:

On the plus point just sold my spare Porsche Zenith carbs for £400, so this should fund the rebuild if I can get all the required parts. Lets just hope I didnt need the spare carbs :shock:

Suppose I could always sell the Alfa engine as well.............. :|

Took the crank to an engine shop in Preston ( E Bambers Ltd) and he checked the crank and gave it the all clear as it was in spec for standard beaings, with just a light polish of the bearings. So that's going to save some ££££ :mrgreen:

Haveacamper said:
you got me wondering whether i should jump in and buy a few bits with you hehe:)
not a bad idea, was think of ordering from pelican parts or a fews others, I'll send you a pm

i spent at least a year hunting on ebay for porsche engines. i even bid on a few (up to about £1.5k) which i am sure wouldnt have got me much. i even nearly bought the full running gear out of an 80's 3.0sc for quite a bit more. sadly the cost of keeping these engines running is high. it does always amaze me how a bearing in a porsche engine can cost soo much more than say a fiat engine. when in all honesty its probably the same white metal. :?

Good old ebay (ok a did slag it off last week :oops: ) has turned up a siezed 911 oil pump for £20. stripped it down today and was only siezed from being stored, lapped the shaft in the housing and now spins fine. Good news as a new pump was $850 from USA :shock:

uber cool said:
Good old ebay (ok a did slag it off last week :oops: ) has turned up a siezed 911 oil pump for £20. stripped it down today and was only siezed from being stored, lapped the shaft in the housing and now spins fine. Good news as a new pump was $850 from USA :shock:

Nice to hear of a good ebay story ...... and that your engine project is well and truly up and running at a pace again

uber cool said:

Those are the nice stories! I hope your luck will last!

So here we go again :roll: , starting from the crank up. Its been lightly polished and still on standard bearings, all of which are on order from the USA.

100_1135.jpg

Went to Tatton park VW show today, dodged the rain, but show wasnt too good, seemed to be mainly water cooled vw's :cry: I Could really have walked around tesco's car park to look at 56 plate golf's :!: :lol:

anyway kids enjoyed being pulled round all day.

100_1198.jpg

Off to France next week in the van for 2 weeks :mrgreen: , so hopefully parts will arrive when I get back.

The photo below sums up the start of the holiday! :lol:
100_1211.jpg

Got about 100 miles into france from Cherboug and the van started spluttering along. Cut a long story short after changing many parts decided to call it a day and take the van home. The van broken down sunday afternoon. However not one to give up easily we got back to Chorley Monday night on the back of an RAC truck and we where back in France tuesday afternoon in the Mazda 5 MPV and back on the campsite for Wednesday afternoon :mrgreen:
We stopped in Baden, Brittainy, been there 2 years ago, lovely area and wonderfully beaches at Carnac.

Have looked a the van since getting back but suspect maybe a burnt valve.

Porsche parts are on the way, so probably stuck in customs somewhere waiting to sting me for import tax :cry:

Wife says the bus is grounded to the UK until it can be made more reliable :oops:

man i'm sorry to hear about the issue with the bus on hols....

if its something serious like the valve, you 'll have to get the porsche engine up and running as an intermmediate run about :)

love the dedication of getting back out there. thinking about it, you need a secondary bus :)

the only issue with not going away in the bus until its more reliabel is that you wont know if its reliable until you use it - i.e. go away in it lol.

Just caught up with your thread (seems a lot of my notified posts have not been notifying me...).

Glad the Porsche engine is a goer again (shame about the stupid costs though) 8)

Sorry about your failed family holiday in the bus but at least you got there in the end ;)

Lets hope that things start to turn the corner for you (worried about the import duty on the stuff from the states though :( ) :msn4: