US turn signal / running lights question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
I just learned while swapping my ill fitting repro indicator lenses that the US market buses have twin filament bulbs & specific housings to take these. The bulb holders had two spades & the bayonet housing would not take a single filament bulb.
Upon removal i found mine only had a single wire to one of the spades.
So only one filament was being used as the indicator, & the wires supposed to feed the weaker filament were not immediately visible anywhere.

So i removed the US housings & put in these entire Hella euro indicator units bought used but clean from BBT.

But i wondered what the US turn signals/running lights look like when in use, & how they operate?

Are they on all the time, or only when headlight switch is on? Are they lit a dimmer amber by the weak filament, but then flash the brighter filament when you indicate?
I could not find any photos or video to see how they look when lit/signalling on a running US bus.

Any way these lenses look an improvement on what was there, & the euro reflectors give off much brighter light from being in better condition. Some of the Hella lenses edge chrome has lifted but it adds a bit of character using the OG parts.

old.jpeg

new.jpeg
compare.jpeg

Last edited:
I run mine as per US spec. I have the feed from the sidelights, so if the lights are on the front indicators are illuminated. When the indicators come on, they flash in addition to the running lights.
Not strictly legal or MOT compliant, and I used to disconnect for MOT's. But I think it looks cool.

Attachments

• indicate.jpg
    indicate.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, It does look very cool!
I might revert back to my US housings
So i'm sure, you take the feed wire off of the small bulb in your headlights, & run it to the weak filament spade in the indicator housing?
Are the indicators very noticable as they flash against the dimmer filament, that remains on?

Yes, that's what I have done. The indicators flash clearly, I've never had an issue with them, but you take your own chances, right? ;)

Latest posts