Vintagespeed bus shifter... how to fit shaft?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire3500

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a VS shifter for my bay and am trying to work out how to fit the shaft to the base, it's a reverse thread with a locknut and I don't know how to adjust it so that it's tight. Even when "tight" it seems to have @ 1" of rotational play...

Anyone any experience?

Cheers
/ic

hi mines the same...with the lock nut fully tight..it seem to rock a bit..i guess thats just the way they are..

They can't be like that, the original, the Berg I had and now the bug-tech are all rock solid. Any slop would be in the shift rod but you can cure that by fitting new bushes and urethrane bushes in the original cradle.

Des

I've got one and mines rock solid. :?

Once I got it to a position i wanted I slackened it off then put locktite around the nut and thread and tightened it up.

The distributer posts on here. He's a very helpful guy. Search for vintage shifter in the search bar and pm him.

Well here's the answer. The problem on mine is threefold:

1) the lockout plate is badly dimensioned
2) the welding on the base was very poor and cracked off owing to virtually no penetration, that's why the "rotation" got worse with use... over a 150 mile roundtrip the welds gave out... leaving me virtually unable to drive my bus (and as my daughter threw up while camping, and then in the bus on the way home I was really cursing the shifter... if I'd have had my stock shifter with me the Vintagespeed would be lying by the A64 now)
3) the lockout pin is slack in its slot, meaning that the shifter "rotates"

I've PM'd Vintagedan last night for his comments, but as far as I can see these are a reasonably conceived but poorly manufactured shifter. More of a comparable quality with a Scat or EMPI than a Berg, CSP or Bug-tech. This broken one is unusable though and I shall be refitting my stock shifter.

I'll wait and see what Dan says, but in the meantime will post some pics of the problem areas:

broken shifter Vintagespeed bad welding by iancleary, on Flickr

broken shifter Vintagespeed poor workmanship. by iancleary, on Flickr

wizard's sleeve Vintagespeed shifter by iancleary, on Flickr

The baseplate isnt worth posting as its just impossible to see without measuring.

I'm valuing my disappointment at £180. What a pisser :-(

thats not good mate :( ,thanks for taking the time to post those pics
so it might be a matter of time before mine goes,its done about 200 miles
let us know how you get on with dan

the-irv said:
thats not good mate :( ,thanks for taking the time to post those pics
so it might be a matter of time before mine goes,its done about 200 miles
let us know how you get on with dan

Well, wishing you better luck there dude.

I have PM'd and emailed Dan, and it's only fair to get his comments before turning this into a supplier-beating thread. I have heard good things about how he treats those that use his products and so let's hope that it's a blip.

Fingers crossed!

So I sat and stewed on Dan's response for a couple of hours, I mailed him back and he hasn't responded... so I'm done.

The shifter is going in the bin (literally), I'll get over the £180 eventually and my stock shifter is refitted (Working perfectly BTW, just not fancy, but you know what? Fancy didn't work).

This was what I received from Dan:

Hi Ian.

Sorry to hear this, I get people who moan about a product because they do not read instructions and dont know what they are doing, it happens all the time.
I can only say you need to put the shifter in as per instructions and when in the right position use retainer on the nuts and let it set overnight.
Please try this.
They work well when all other parts of the vans gearshifting parts are in good order.
I cant refund you as its as you say its secondhand if it has a manufacturing fault it would be replaced as early versions had a fault and were snapping , they have since been redesigned.
If your not happy sell it on.
Sorry, best i can do.
Cheers.
Dan.

1) Moan.
2) Don't know what they're doing.
3) Let it set overnight. :shock:
4) Best I can do.
5) Sell it on.

So there we have it. The shifter was second-hand and so Dan was not obliged to do anything, he is correct. It had never been fitted to a bus though... was still in original packaging / blister packs and failed through manufacturing defects within 150 miles.

I will not sell it on, as it's not worth anything. I also will be looking for someone else to supply me with a decent stainless exhaust for my bus (1700cc type 4 engine). I will not be spending £400+ with Vintagespeed.

Mods - you're welcome to lock this thread if you wish. I am not going to badmouth Vintagespeed and wish Dan well with his business. The photographs above and the response I received say all that need to be said.

Anyone selling a Berg, CSP or Bug-Tech? Get in touch! ;)

the-irv said:
sorry to hear this mate :( ,is there anything you can do with the lockout plate?
i'm very worried at this

Mines been fitted for nearly three years with no problems only thinking yesterday driving back from my weekend trip that it was one of, if not the best aftermarket purchase I've made to date, & cost me about £230 back then & it's rock solid no play here & shifts as good if not better than when first fitted.

ditto.
Ive had mine on my bus for almost a year with no problems at all!
Sorry to hear yours went tits up!

I really dont know what to say to this.......it appears the new design is even worse than the original shit design then!? :-?
In my eyes this should have been refunded, it was brand new never fitted previously. My definition of second hand is a used part that is passed on.
This clearly wasn't the case.

Proper gutted!! :sad:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Foz said:
I really dont know what to say to this.......it appears the new design is even worse than the original shit design then!? :-?
In my eyes this should have been refunded, it was brand new never fitted previously. My definition of second hand is a used part that is passed on.
This clearly wasn't the case.

Proper gutted!! :sad:

Thanks Foz, I sincerely hope that you don't feel bad on my account. You sold me the shifter in a way that I cannot fault, and your communication was tip top. No hint or suggestion of anything untoward AT ALL :)

I am pleased to say that I have a positive update... I received a call from Dan yesterday morning and after talking through the problems and him having seen the nature of the failure he is willing to replace the shifter and advised me that there has been a further update to the design (using some titanium parts for strength).

This is the outcome I was looking for, and my complaint is resolved as Vintagespeed have stood by their product and are willing to replace the faulty shifter. There was clearly some issue with the manufacturing and Dan assures me that if there is a manufacturing rather than an installation fault that he will support his customers, and has faith in Vintagespeed as a manufacturer. Dan asked me to bear the shipping cost to and from him for the return of the old shifter and the shipping out of the replacement. I think that this is reasonable.

So, I'll get the replacement and then update accordingly. Fingers crossed that this one resolves the issues and there's a happy ever after.

I'd urge anyone with a suspected manufacturing fault to contact Dan directly, he mentioned that he's not able to spend a lot of time on the forums and is best reachable directly or via http://www.vintagespeed.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Cheers :)

Thats great news Ian, and much respect to Dan!
And here I am 6 weeks down the line still trying to resolve issues with Slamwerks with little to no joy! I wish they would take a leaf out of Dans book!!

Hope it all turns out ok mate!

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Hi there

Glad to see you got this sorted.

I've just bought one and mine has play in it as well. Which appears to be caused by the pin in the bottom of the shaft being able to twist slightly in the slot.

Are they all like this?

Cheers

Grant

I don't rate Vintage speed stuff tbh, my mates shifter snapped so he went back to stock and I've driven other buses with the shifter and I wasn't impressed tbh. Just like a stock shifter I though. Got a CSP in mine and it's awesome, totally recommend them!

goy rid of my vs..i hated the play it had in the shaft....switched to a berg and its tight..so that shows the vs ones are shite..

Latest posts