VW Paintings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
Hi all,
Last year due to the recession my dad lost his job and has been unable to find work since, in his new found spare time he has started painting pictures. This has led to the idea that i would be cool to paint custom pictures of peoples VWs from photographs, prehaps at shows, or over the internet? Basically i was wondering if you all thought this was a reasonable idea, do you think it would attract much attention? and what do people think would be a reasonable price?
heres a few of his paintings:

IMGP2817.jpg

IMGP2821.jpg

IMGP2822.jpg

IMGP2823.jpg

IMGP2825.jpg

cheers all, Luke.

I like his work and would certainly be interested to learn more, especially the idea of having my own van in the pic.

I guess it all comes down to the price at the end of the day, which is where you will either hook people or loose them.

Do you have any thoughts on this subject at this stage ??

Well I have answered two out of three questions.

"Basically i was wondering if you all thought this was a reasonable idea", - YES
"Do you think it would attract much attention?" YES

"And what do people think would be a reasonable price?" - No idea, as I can't be a buyer and a seller. However I am sure your dad can put a price on materials, and the surely a price on his time for what he would be happy to work for. Add the two together, and once you have a number I genuinely would be interested to hear more.

Really not trying to be difficult, but like yourself have no idea what the price should be, although I am sure your dad can put a price on his time, and hopefully doing something he derives enjoyment from, looking at the work you displayed.

Look forward to seeing other's replies, and hopefully you can move towards an idea on pricing..... ;)

Hi Luke

I guess it would help to know how much the materials cost and how long on average it takes to complete a painting. It then comes down to how much your dad would want an hour for his labour.

I imagine it would take a good number of hours.

Sounds like a good idea but as others have said price will depend on whether this takes off or not.
Realistically as each painting will be different, each painting will have a different price according to detail and background, so unfortunately i dont think you will be able to give a ball park figure and each person will have to agree a fee with your dad. Having said that i'm sure enough people will be interested

Agree with all the comments above.

Cost will be based on each canvas done as all will be unique and require different materials and time (oils or acrylic, water or pencil - each costs different to buy and times to complete) :D

A quick update, we are looking into getting a stall at a show in 2010, until then if your would like your van painted in oil, with any background you like then the price will be £150 (20"X40" canvas approx) +P&P, and any of the paintings pictured above are for sale for £100.

Latest posts