VW Sliding Steel Sunroof Challenge!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonh

Reaction score
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help. A few months ago we embarked on a project to convert what had been previously a Westy shell to a genuine VW sunroof. A sunroof and assembly was tracked down, along with new cables and winder mech, all the drainage pipes were installed and ramps fabricated to lift the roof too.
But it leaks like mad when it rains; through the gaps between the edge of the sunroof and the roof. The prob is that VW never put a seal around the edge – or did they?
There is no seal as such. I’ve just taken delivery of a new felt seal from Heritage (at £100!) but I’m really not sure that this will work – it just looks like a bit of limp felt, nothing like enough. More a kind of draught proofer.
I’d be really grateful if any owners of these ultra-rare sunroof buses could take a pic showing what I am missing; in particular the rear gap against the roof and how this is sorted by VW. Or anyone who’s worked on them or had this problem…

Cheers

Hi,
VW did install a felt seal on their sun roof models. The seal is, I beleive not meant to be completely water tight, but allows any excess water to drain away through the drainage holes. It seems that you have not had anything keeping out the water, hence the leaking roof. You could have picked up the felt from EIS for £60. Hope this helps. I have not yet fitted my felt, but I think a good glue should be used.

LV

The felt seal was to keep leaves and other rubbish out of the sunroofs tray, so they would struggle to block the tubes up.

I have bought some p-shaped rubber extrusion from sealsdirect.co.uk and am going to glue this to the body of the bus. This will then allow the roof to slide forward up and under the seal, and stop most of the water getting in.

The only problem I can foresee is that the gap at the back is still going to be open. So, I am thinking about a little water shoot to drop the water directly into the middle drain so it doesn't touch the bus. Not sure if this will work, but worth a try.

Once you get the water into the drain system, it should be easy for it to escape.

Hope that helps - gotta love trying to save a sunroof.

NickB said:
The felt seal was to keep leaves and other rubbish out of the sunroofs tray, so they would struggle to block the tubes up.

I have bought some p-shaped rubber extrusion from sealsdirect.co.uk and am going to glue this to the body of the bus. This will then allow the roof to slide forward up and under the seal, and stop most of the water getting in.

The only problem I can foresee is that the gap at the back is still going to be open. So, I am thinking about a little water shoot to drop the water directly into the middle drain so it doesn't touch the bus. Not sure if this will work, but worth a try.

Once you get the water into the drain system, it should be easy for it to escape.

Hope that helps - gotta love trying to save a sunroof.

Hi,
Would you recommend not using the felt seal then? I have not added it to my bus as yet,.
LV

Good question!!

I don't think the felt seal around the sunroof will fit if you put a seal around the body.

I wish I could help more, my bus isn't here at the moment, but can try and get some pics if you want.

Will keep a watch - sorry, got distracted.........

I had a 65 and 66 beetle with steel roofs and I drove them both daily for over 5 years combined. The felt seal is all I ever had and all that is needed. It keeps debris out and also keeps the water from pouring in. I personally wouldn't start Jerry rigging up solutions. Run it ALL stock you should be ok.

what you lot like!!!!with the felt seal fitted there is NO gap at the back,if there is you havnt got the panel fitted correctly.just glue the felt seal with contact adhesive,its shaped for the corners join in middle at rear.

:lol: :lol: ^^^ :lol: :lol: , Tell em what you think then Dave and don`t beat around the bush so much :lol: :lol: ^^^ :lol: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Straight from the hip!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Actually you'll find there is a tray with attaches to the rear of the sunroof panel which catches the rain and directs it into the draintubes. Its probably missing as it is on mine, which creates a gap between the panel and the roof. The seals do not fill this gap.

Slammed said:
Actually you'll find there is a tray with attaches to the rear of the sunroof panel which catches the rain and directs it into the draintubes. Its probably missing as it is on mine, which creates a gap between the panel and the roof. The seals do not fill this gap.

The Bently manual does not go in to any real depth about this, so well done that man.

LV

Lordain Volley said:
Slammed said:

The Bently manual does not go in to any real depth about this, so well done that man.

LV

Yeah its pretty confusing, I only knew mine was missing by examining a few sunroof buses at shows. Its always been the bain of my bus, as every panel that has come up for sale has been missing that part. (Its almost like a gutter that fits posteriorly to the sunroof panel).

Also if you are converting a westy shell it won't have the ramps in place that lift the back edge of the sunroof when it closes, these were only fitted to sunroof buses and without these in place your roof will never close properly.
The felt seal is meant to let in a bit of water as it does on mkii golfs etc. we've fitted the felt seal to a customers bus and it made quite a tight seal and will be doing the same to our own bus very soon.
VW designed it like that for a reason so why try and fit different seals?, if the ramps are there and the felt seal is in place and the drainage tubes are clear then there should be no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whs^^^^ its what was ment by"gap" cos when the roof is closed flush there is no gap,well not with a new seal.of course if the drip channel is missing then there is nowt to direct any leak into the drains.got to sort one on a mk2 golf :msn4:

dave --------------always trying to be helpfull ;) :shock:

Cheers all! i've actually had the ramps fabricated but the problem is obviously that rear tray which is def missing on my bus. The mystery is solved.

I don't suppose anyone has a pic of this tray?

Cheers

Simon

I will get you one tomorrow.

It'll be a treat to see my bus.......

In fact, I'll get a few pics.

hold it on the pic front chaps, it seems on checking that the gutter's already, erm, there. sorry!

cheers

s

Hi Simon

I presume you have the adjusters on your roof?, that allow you two alter the height of the sunroof panel in relation to the roof itself, there are 4 of them and they sit under the 4 track guides?

We fitted the felt seal on a customers bus using contact adhesive and it stuck really well, on the back edge where there isn't an upright to glue it to we folded the metal edge (inside the seal itself ) through 90 degrees and glued it to the underside of the rear roof and when closed it was a snug fit. the seal fits to the bus not the sliding bit based on the remnants we found on the same bus as we had to scrape the old seal off.

hope thats of some help?

PS: you don't have a spare sprung clip that sits over the cable guide and holds the cables in place do you?, we are missing that bit and the cables jump out of the centre guide :roll: :roll:

thanks graham - i'll check on the adjusters and a spring clip next time i'm at the bus. what part of the assembly would the spring clip be stuck to? i do have some spare bits.

cheers

s

It sits on top of the cables in the crossover metal piece that the handle attaches to. It's a u shape piece of sprung metal that sits over the cables but underneath the plastic cover that sits on top of the crossover piece if that makes sense??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Graham

Is it U section about 15mm square with a hole thrro the middle?

S

Latest posts