VW Sliding Steel Sunroof Challenge!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.kieftenklok.net/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,2603/category_id,164/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,8/lang,en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kieft en Klok have them for sale, but you can easily make your own. It just needs to hold the cables firmly against both sides of the cog gear.

They have the plastic covers as well, but are quite pricey!!!

Yes Simon it is, sorry only just seen your note, (no notification)

Thanks nick is it just plain metal or is it sprung?

It is just a piece of metal, no spring at all. The plastic guide that is screwed over the cable block holds it down, and the short sides go down into the block and pull the sunroof cables tight against the cog wheel.

You will be able to see what dimension the so called spring is, as there is a recess in the metal cable guide.

I made mine out of and piece of steel that was lying around, and just cut, bent and filed it until the cable ran through smoothly.

Hope that helps.

Graham - you're very welcome to it - I don't need it and widgets like that are pricey! I'll stick it in the post assuming your address is on your web site which I'm sure it is.

Nick (and everyone else who's helped or is interested!) - the sunroof is now complete and watertight! It's currently under a cover with g clamps holding the liner to the sunroof while the adhesive sets so it can close without nudging the liner (it leaked if this wasn't done).

We used the VW seal which was a real fiddle to do 1st time round, but a big thanks to David and Sean for perservering with it! I'm really delighted with it. It's cost the best part of £500 (1/6 of the cost of the original bare shell I had imported!) in parts alone and taken many hours, but it'll be worth it when the sun shines. And for whhen it's cold, I have had Propex fitted (yesterday!) to keep us super toastie, all ready for my sister's wedding next Sat where the bus will be the wedding car! Can't wait!

Cheers

Simon

Latest posts