Water in engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vancam70 said:
could you use threaded bar and a tube nut for adjustment ?

Great idea, but no you cannot as the threaded bar would foul the top of the case and one set of flaps is higher than the other, plus you have to get passed the oil cooler mount, hence the bend in my version, although it is a large bend which allowed for lots of adjustment tweaks. :D

Craig, you have put a lot of effort in your solution👍
One thing though; where is the spring? The spring has to be installed as if the stat fails, the flaps will be open.
I can borrow you a bar and when you succesfully copy it you can send it back to me😁

Abel

Vancam70 said:
chad said:
I've had a look and have both types of bar and the flaps themselves along with the 'hook' that attaches to the thermostat. I may also have a used thermostat and bracket.

How much are you wanting for them ?

I'll do some pics first so you can see what you would be buying

atafonso said:
Craig, you have put a lot of effort in your solution👍
:mrgreen:

atafonso said:
One thing though; where is the spring? The spring has to be installed as if the stat fails, the flaps will be open.

Apparently the new styled (Mexican) thermostats do not use a spring like the old ones:

J10170-0_15.jpg

I assume it is because they have a 'return' spring and a 'fail safe' spring would be working against it.

This is where the temperature and oil pressure gauges hopefully protect against a fault.

atafonso said:
I can borrow you a bar and when you succesfully copy it you can send it back to me😁

Abel

That is real nice of you as always! Although hold that thought, I am surprised no one is making these, I'll send you a PM. :shadey:

There is a spring that goes on the linkage bar, that is to keep the flaps open in case of a thermostate failure. Also the thermostate itself has not been designed to push the linkage and open the flaps, but rather it overcomes the return spring and allow the flaps to close when the right temp is achieved😄

Abel

Damn, so it would be an engine out job.

I'll add it to my ever growing jobs list.

Cheers for the guidance gents.

chad said:
Vancam70 said:
chad said:
I've had a look and have both types of bar and the flaps themselves along with the 'hook' that attaches to the thermostat. I may also have a used thermostat and bracket.

How much are you wanting for them ?

I'll do some pics first so you can see what you would be buying

That'll be great ,I don't know what i need as there's nothing there at the moment

This picture might help:

https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-engine_parts/engine--and--exhaust_1200cc-1600cc/thermostat--and--cooling_fan_parts/

here's the pics:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tv4t76pq/

Latest posts