Welded spindles... Breaking?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pics are from an Irish forum apparently, some guy paid 9k for a bus, and posted up some pics to get advice on! :?

Whoever is responsible for that 'workmanship' wants shooting. Everyone is capable of making a mistake (see my earlier post 'you might want to check yours...') but that is downright incompetent and bloody dangerous. Hope the buyer can sort something out, like maybe getting his money back...

Talk about out of order :!: the beam held on by four bolts, shocks catching but those spring plates what was the man thinking :shock:

Clem said:
The pics are from an Irish forum apparently, some guy paid 9k for a bus, and posted up some pics to get advice on! :?

Yep there are alot of cowboys over here, our local club had to deal with and try and sort out a poor scottish guy and his wife who bought a van from a guy who they thought was affiliated to us. He paid serious money for a van that was shabbly restored and badly sprayed, nothing like the description needless to say he couldnt get in contact with the seller :roll: . You soon learn to avoid these muppets.

Those spring plates look like an accident waiting to happen :shock: , and looks like he tried to fit an early beam to a post 71?? , just as shocking :shock:

Its a shame that people who work like this have to be apart of our World.Would you do that and then sell it to someone else?? :twisted: i certainly couldnt live with myself!

It looks more like narrowed end plates to fit a split welded to a late beam..if its an early beam then it wouldnt be ball joint(Another shock in its self maybe??).

Not a dig at the Buyer in anyway atall!! but if your new and fancy buying your first bus then please please take along someone who knows these things..A club member...a stranger off here will even lend a hand if its local to them.Theres even a very helpfull buyers guide on here to have a read of.

Keep your money but most important.....KEEP YOUR LIFE! 8)

*a little knowledge is a dangerous thing*

:evil:

welded spindles, wildly cut & turned beams with balljoints banging away at the end of their travel limits, tie rods fouling on chassis, springplates notched not just by helen keller above but by anyone, shock towers bottoming out on the road, smart car tyres on a two ton bus, they're all just degrees of the same thing aren't they ?

twenty years ago, i used to be able to do pretty much anything around the house in a D.I.Y. capacity, but as time goes by the likes of me and millions of others are slowly being legislated out of doing anything, to the extent that i now have to pay to have somebody come and do an energy efficiency test if i want to so much as change a window, even though the window in question is a sash with such large gaps in its construction we occasionally have birds flying around in our bathroom... maybe only wrens and finches, little stuff like that but still... paying to have an electrical safety test if i want to install a shower myself ?

"the world's gone mad"

unfortunately, for every one 'handyman' who'll pick the safest cable run, and install the highest rated cable, with an appropriate RCD and blah blah blah there's also one who'll just run a spur from his immersion heater with some cable that came off that broken toaster in next door's back yard.

that man was obviously responsible for the 'modifications' to the bus above.

one day soon, and we all know it's coming, home modification of our vehicles will be a thing of the past, outlawed like sinbad blowing up ron dicko's house with his jarg cooker, and unfortunately instead of bemoaning our lot we'll just have to take a look at examples like this and say, "it's a fair cop... pass me the keys to that hybrid energy toyota"

*the end is in sight*

:|

the councillor said:
like sinbad blowing up ron dicko's house with his jarg cooker

It was more than that, man, it was the parade! And, think of the distress that Lindsay Corkhill went though ..... :evil:

the end could be in sight if people keep getting away with shoddy mods like that :shock: .

we could end up like Belgium /shudder

anyway back on topic: welded spindles

i'snt most of the baywindow held together with welding? :wink:

its bad, very bad im not sure you would want to see it you might scream very loudly :lol:

first pic: looks like someone cut, sorry i meant butchered a square out of the spring plate in an attempt to notch it, without removing it first. Huge gouges left by the grinder and the angles sharp and unsquared, a definite reciepe for failure.

second/third pics: the end plates are the smaller bolt pattern and dont fit the later bus, the beam is only held by two bolts each side and the nut on bottom shock bolt is sitting below and underneath the chassis rail, a big pot hole and it could sheer :shock:

Johnny said:
anyway back on topic: welded spindles

i'snt most of the baywindow held together with welding? :wink:

This is a good question...I asked this on a similar thread on another forum..A fair answer came up....its down to the sudden weight changes,force or shocks added to the spindles whilst in daily driving..ie a pot hole or speed bump.The welds on the bus onlt take added strain when driven stupidly round bends or in a crash.

I watch the car is born thing where he picked up a 1 ton bag on about 10mm of weld..may have been more im old! :lol: he was latter asked "would the same 10mm of weld still hold if the bag was bounched up and down on it" :wink:

This said...this is why i personally stay away from welded spindles.

Johnny said:
its bad, very bad im not sure you would want to see it you might scream very loudly :lol:

first pic: looks like someone cut, sorry i meant butchered a square out of the spring plate in an attempt to notch it, without removing it first. Huge gouges left by the grinder and the angles sharp and unsquared, a definite reciepe for failure.

second/third pics: the end plates are the smaller bolt pattern and dont fit the later bus, the beam is only held by two bolts each side and the nut on bottom shock bolt is sitting below and underneath the chassis rail, a big pot hole and it could sheer :shock:

Ta

I will add another fact to the equasion, a friend of mine has coilovers fitted to his Mk5 Golf, the collar that the coilovers sit on is welded to the strut, this is a factory produced item, and therefore deemed safe! is this any different to welded spindles?

or this kit where you have to weld the colar on yourself

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-Z32-300ZX-SKYLINE-R32-LOWERING-COILOVER-SPRING-U_W0QQitemZ380072517553QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380072517553&_trkparms=72%3A1299%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i have seen these with 3 grub screws that tighten to the strut!

I do not have any knowledge of welded spindles breaking..im glad i dont really as i'd hate to find out what the outcome would be! :shock:

Lets forget about the 'welded' bit for a moment as this is not really the problem with them.Its understanding the metal and how it reacts to heat.....

Spindles are CAST metal that shouldnt be welded because it cracks and weakens with heat

Whist they cool they can also distort........Again not a good thing to be driving around on distorted spindles :!:

:)

Then the answer is simple, if you want your bay nice n low then it has to changed to king and link pin loads more movement and loads safer :!:

then again your front bumper will go under the car in front, bye bye front panel, bye bye legs :cry:

Evilben said:
Then the answer is simple, if you want your bay nice n low then it has to changed to king and link pin loads more movement and loads safer :!:

then again your front bumper will go under the car in front, bye bye front panel, bye bye legs :cry:

Isnt that the same on Any lowered bus..be it king and link or ball joint?

its a good point to bear in mind tho! style or erm...legs? :)

i was thinking about the whole leggs issue the other day, the only outcome i could think of was to either have nice bar welded inside the front of the van and attached to the chasiss in some way, or run a roo bar, i may go for the roo bar option lol

ive added a boz bar to the front of mine.A mate of mine has a split with a crash bar on the inside..looks good and nowt to be seen on the front.. :)

Latest posts