Westfalia louvre window refurbishment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwuttonmoon

Reaction score
After much sweat and many swear words later I have managed to polish and refurbish one of my westy windoes... went kinda like this...

Started by removing the 8 screws from the bottom and top frame sections (4 on each) I found doing this first makes it easier to remove the individual louvre windows

P1020288.jpg

opened the window to reveal 2 screws each end per window and lifted them away

P1020290.jpg

Removed the circlip from the mechanism (1 each side) then the link bar can be pulled out

P1020302.jpg

I cleaned these up in the wire wheel, the flat plates either side can be removed but they do need to go back on the same way round they were removed

P1020303.jpg

P1020305.jpg

P1020306.jpg

I didnt want to remove all the mechanism pieces so I cleaned most of the side frames up with a small wire wheel as they were very pitted and used the polishing mops on the parts that I could.

P1020307.jpg

I then removed the old rubbers, they are pinched in each end by the alluminum frame, I gently prised these apart with a small flat screw driver and slid the old rubber channels out

P1020308.jpg

The 3 individual panes have 4 screws holding them together, 2 each side.

P1020292.jpg

With a little persuasion the frames then came apart, they were in there pretty well with the 40+ year old rubbers

P1020293.jpg

I cleaned the rubber channels with sandpaper at this stage and started the long and tedious task of polishing all the alluminium parts using 3 stage polishing mops

P1020294.jpg

After the messy polishing was complete it was time to put it all back together with new rubbers. I oiled and greased all the moving parts.
The new rubbers on the side frame panels were a little tight under the moving louvres but if I wriggled them as I slid the rubber along it wend through ok

P1020309.jpg

I cleaned up the glass panes and layed the pieces out along with the rubber. (Dont put the frame together wrong and not realise until its to late and have to remove it all again as I did)

P1020296.jpg

Now the hard bit! The way I found best was to place the rubber around the glass and add the frame edging piece by piece, this look alot of oil and alot of swearing to get the rubbers seated properly I found a little persuasion with a screw driver helped the rubber to seat up...one of the worst jobs I have done to date.

P1020299.jpg

Once this was done I slid the rubber channels on each frame

P1020355.jpg

And trimmed

P1020356.jpg

Washed all the parts down in hot soapy water and put all back together the way I took it apart. Note the screws holding the louvre frames together and the screws holding the louvre windows into the frames look very similar but are slightly different lengths. The shorter oneds hold the windows in, I got these mixed up and drove a screw into the pane shattering it!

P1020405.jpg

P1020404.jpg

P1020403.jpg

P1020402.jpg

replaced the outer window seal and thats one window done.... I may do the other one day!

Thats a really good thread, great pictures and the final result is really good. Sticky please mods

Nice tutorial, ill send you mine to practise on when your ready 8)

Nice shed too, looks new ;)

Just

creationblue said:
Nice tutorial, ill send you mine to practise on when your ready 8)

Nice shed too, looks new ;)

Just

I posted this in the hope that somebody might think 'that looks fun' and offer to do my other window for me!

Shed is about 8 months new :D

Did one of my windows last week just plucking up the courage to do the other one.A truly hideous job!! :x

Wow, a seriously good job.

...and I have to say you have the cleanest shed I've ever seen!!
;)

Great, thanks for that write up, I have to do the same in the next few weeks.
Looks like a bigger job than I first thought! But sure looks good when done.

Daniel.

Great write up very usual thread.

Where the best places to get seals from these days, I had a look around and they seem to massively vary in price.

Looks like you need serious patients to attenpt this?!?!
Need to strip down one of mine as it dropped last night when cleaning the insides of the glass :cry:
Bummer!! :roll:

Latest posts