What are the most common reasons to fail the mot?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobby81

Reaction score
Due next month, already changed the cv boots and plan to renew fuel lines that look a bit perished, also clean up the break lines. Any other obvious things to check on these old buses?

Track rods and ball joint rubbers, especially if they're aftermarket plop.

Rust. Rust. Rust. Brake imbalances. And rust.

And the above.

And rust.

:smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Handbrake efficiency was my issue this year!

Other than that all was good!

Always been brakes for me, drums all round and a van that sits for weeks on end over the winter and then an MOT in March - not good.

Not that the van has failed one yet, but always been advised to get them checked and adjusted, which a duly do.

Ball joint boot and flexi brake hose is all I've had in 6yrs :D
Still dread taking her and it's always a fingers crossed moment

leon said:
Track rods and ball joint rubbers, especially if they're aftermarket plop.

Mine split in a year without even going anywhere, it's not even registered yet! :|

The main thing is to not take your van to a garage that usually just does modern cars. Take it to a place that has been going years...with a MOT man who has been is old enough or knowledgeble to not fail you van on silly things!! :D

(and rust, rust, ball joint boots, cv boots....and anything obvious! Have check over before you go, and atleast make sure the lights work etc!! lol)

The drag link rubbers are the same as a tie rod rubber size, teh drag link sits so close at the front of the van that on lowered busses it often gets trashed, I seem to replace that rubber on my bus every year before the MOT.

Alex VW Heritage said:
The drag link rubbers are the same as a tie rod rubber size, teh drag link sits so close at the front of the van that on lowered busses it often gets trashed, I seem to replace that rubber on my bus every year before the MOT.

I have had many rubbers that need changing after a year as they have simply cracked (and the joint is still fine). They have been joints from GSF. You can buy better quality boots to replace with though :D

In the last 6 MOTs, mine has only failed once.

On the numberplate lamp inoperative. :?

The one bulb I'd not remembered to check before the test...

Toad said:
The main thing is to not take your van to a garage that usually just does modern cars. Take it to a place that has been going years...with a MOT man who has been is old enough or knowledgeble to not fail you van on silly things!! :D

(and rust, rust, ball joint boots, cv boots....and anything obvious! Have check over before you go, and atleast make sure the lights work etc!! lol)

What he says,
Get to know your tester, buy him biscuits and ask him if he can give your bus a pre MOT inspection.

Usual areas are cv boots, ball joints and boots, wheel bearings and brakes. Check wipers and WASHERS. Most rust is in body panels, non structural, if it is in the beam or the chassis then there are problems.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Front wheel bearing play. Admittedly this is on the bug, but the same principle will apply to the van when it gets sorted. they're supposed to have some play as they expand when hot, but will my MOT guy accept that? Will he bollocks. Have to tighten them before, loosen them after.

I will add rusty chassis to the list!!!
Failed today, was booked in 2 weeks ago but things started playing up. 1st electrics then running like a bag of shit :oops: . Local vw garage sorted it out for me blaming shite petrol. garage welding a patch on tomorrow and should get a pass. Hopefully.

Latest posts