What are these lights and switches?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuAn

Reaction score
Okay, I admit it: I do not know my ass from my elbow.

Here's a pic of the dash on my '71:

dash.jpg

A - Lights
B - ?
C - ?
D - Wipers
E - Hazzard Lights
F - Electric Screen Wash

B appears to be a light with a green wire, and a green wire with a black stripe coming off the back.

C appears to be a switch with a couple of red wires on one side and a blue wire with red bands coming off the other.

one of them is probably to turn on your interior lights :wink: not sure about the other???

Well I guess that means they're not standard equipment. I guess I'll have to play follow the wires.

What is the standard layout? I need to install a cig lighter to power my satnav and I guess if I swap these around a bit I could create a spare hole where the switch for the electric washer currently resides.

ooooh, you lucky sod, you have a clock!

very rare those..... 8) 8)

I'm guessing that 'C' will be your interior lights, not sure about 'B'....does the horn work in the steering wheel? If not, it might have been re-routed.......?

The joys of ancient wiring that every well meaning person (twit) has fiddled with.....

PS....

we have some very nice 12v cigarette lighters in stock at Baydreamers if you're interested.... :wink:

Carole

Justin & Mutley said:
B = Ejector seat

C = Rocket pack

;)

Haha, nothing like a clever Richard in the room.
Clever though!
B and c are definitely aftermarket so they could be anything.

B is where my rear master switch forthe cargo interior light is in my panel van, so it might be just a blank on a window van.

Have a look around for something that doesn't look original that needs power. Or switch the interior lights to the opposite of what thet are now and pull the switch and see what happens.
Make sure you do it standing outside and reaching in, just in case it is an ejector seat switch.

They don't have an effect on interior lights. My Bay is a panel van but none of the interior lights work.

Horn works with the horn push.

The only aftermarket item I can see is a spot light on the front bumper but it isn't wired up to anything. Just for show I guess. :roll:

I did check to see if the passenger seat had an eject mechanism. It doesn't, but I did find a jack under there. I didn't know I had that. :D

Look like the general opinion is that B is for the interior lighting in the cargo/rear area. Mine is anyway 8) C could be anything but if the switch is there utilise it for the spot light or something as it'll be right next to a light feed on the headlight switch :wink:

F = Electric Screen wash :shock: Whats that :wink: :lol:

If B is a pull switch then I would say interior light, check bulb and bulb holder, I cleaned mine and it worked. Do you have an auxilery fan in your engine bay like on a type 4? mine has and thats where the switch is for it.

A bizarre occurrence yesterday:

I'd been out for a drive and in the early evening I happened to look out the kitchen window and saw that there was a light on in my van. Upon closer examination I discovered that both interior lights have now decided to work and switch C on the dash does indeed switch the light in the back. I guess there must be a lose connection somewhere and driving around yesterday has jiggled it into 'working mode'.

I still don't know what B does.

I have a switch for the heated rear window, as on the photo.
It lights up when pulled but not sure if the window works.

Are these standard or were they a dealer option as it's a VW switch

bits066.jpg

You could buy it as a kit (I bought a NOS one for my bug a long time ago) wouldnt be suprised if it was an option too.

Latest posts