What is this box? (photo)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Its a hollow tin box, under the rear seat, just beside the wheel arch. It has a flap of metal on the end of it. It appears to go through into the fuel tank compartment. If I shine my torch through and then go round and look in from the back, I can see light behind the engine firewall.
Anyone know what it is or what its supposed to do? It must be letting LOTS of engine noise in.

IMG_1184.jpg

Update!! It comes off. Doesn't appear to be connected to anything inside the fuel tank compartment. It just leaves a rectangular hole in the fuel tank wall panel. Theres a rectangular rubber seal around the hole.
IMG_1187.jpg

First question what are you driving?

Does it look factory?

I'm thinking but must surely be wrong, stationary heater the Eberspacher petrol heater, not sure how they were plumbed into the bus though. To be honest I aint got a scooby doo on this one. The heater is/was mounted on the NS within the engine bay memory serves?

Its a June '68 bay, Left hand drive german army kombi. One of the m codes does indeed stand for an eberspacher heater, although the heater is long gone. It looks factory installed, rubber seal and a captive nut to secure the square pipe.

I'm presuming that this pipe once extended into the engine compartment and was somehow connected to a blower on an eberspacher heater.

All I know is I'm gonna be wasting my time doing any sound-proofing unless I block this hole.

Whoa... spooky, hey am I good or what? :lol:

I've been reading too much. As I say Ive never noticed how its routed into the van but you learn something new every day....

Keep it there mate if you dont want to use it block it off to keep the noise down....

Araon said:
Whoa... spooky, hey am I good or what? :lol:

I've been reading too much. As I say Ive never noticed how its routed into the van but you learn something new every day....

Keep it there mate if you dont want to use it block it off to keep the noise down....

It is definately for a Eberspacher, my '68 had one added, straight through the firewall in by the wheel arch, I removed it and welded up the gap in the firewall and the hole by the wheel arch.

"Initiate self destruct sequence; Alpha, Tango, 1, 2, 1, Authorisation code; Pickard 6, 6, 6," :lol:

Just looking at Jingle Bells thread in the for sale section and spoted the same box on his finnish bus check it out.

Just picked up a bus this weekend with one in as well. Getting a bit common these drug buses. :lol:

Not for me, for a mate. :lol: Wasn't really my cup of tea, it was one of those split window jobbies. It came form Oregon, and had snow tyres and the Eberspacher mounting with it.

Latest posts