what new thing have you learnt about your bay this week...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now learnt my bay doesn't like standing for 3 weeks - flat battery!

20 mins on the quick charger and it was good enough to get it turning over - started first time :)

Now on slow charge :)

irish gerry said:
well i've had a late bay for 3 years and now my current early..and i only learnt that the dash lights have a dimmer!!!

what did you find out about your bay this week :lol:

I'd completely forgotten about that feature! :D

JohnS said:
sparkywig said:
I've learnt that my budget is too small :roll: and that a lowered van on BRM's causes tyre to arch contact when going round bends :roll: (thinking about getting my stock 15" powder coated and put back on). Going to have to raise the van for the time being. :cry:
At least I'll have some suspension travel though.

This may sound a bit drastic but have you tried taking a hammer to the lip on the inside of the front wheel arch. I'm running 185-65-15s with BRMs on the front of a lowered '71 (not slammed) and had the very same problem as yourself. After bashing with a rubber mallet the aforementioned inner lip back on itself there were no more loud scraping noises going round corners. The tyre still farts on the inner wheel arch when going over the occasional bump (especially when fully loaded) but it doesn't foul on the outside of the arches like it used to.

Problem solved. :D
Raised suspension. Rear was down three splines, now back to two and levelled van on front adjusters. I can keep the BRM's on and have got suspension back and clears.
Budget still too small. :( , but have learnt that the freshair box and front grille are OK, after chipping off the grille and removing all the filler and fibreglass.
I have also found out that my van was originally grey, then blue, red oxide, black, burgundy, and the current shitty grey primer.

I've learned that my van won't restore itself - I keep buying parts for it and taking them out to the garage but they don't assemble themselves :(

There was me thinking that I had the German version of Christine:

TorqueOmata124.jpg

I guess not...

;)

Today I learned that re-torquing my heads was good for 12-20lb! increase in compression. :mrgreen:

Best €60 odd I've ever spent in Halftard's - might make those long hills we all love a little easier for me. :wink:

Justin & Mutley said:
I've learned that my van won't restore itself - I keep buying parts for it and taking them out to the garage but they don't assemble themselves :(

There was me thinking that I had the German version of Christine:

TorqueOmata124.jpg

I guess not...

;)

Do you have any pics of this van?

i found out that even if you stick the 40 year old covers off the rock n roll bed in the washing mashine they still smell of fust :mrgreen:

After owning the van for 3 years, i've learnt how the sliding door lock works used to shut m door with a slam and push as the ear of the door, after playing with the door i now slide and pull the handle up and the rear pulls itself in :D .

After spending the last 2 weeks touring cornwall in the rain, ive just learnt how much i love the van, might be rusty, tatty, slow and dirty but drove there, around and back with now problems.

rustydiver said:
After owning the van for 3 years, i've learnt how the sliding door lock works used to shut m door with a slam and push as the ear of the door, after playing with the door i now slide and pull the handle up and the rear pulls itself in :D .

Eh? I usually take a run at it. :lol:

Must try that.

i learnt that you reallly should swop the inner bearing spacer before you put your new dropped spindes on and take it for a test drive :?
also balljoint weedeater plus dropped spindles ride really well and even tho the bus is pretty low the balljoints are both level and not turned over.

oh! and that 356's rim ruin your front tuckage.

I took my mate from work to his home in my Panel van and he didnt stop smiling the whole journey , so to me i learnt that my bay appeals to people who i would least expect it too , :D

...that if I put a bulb in the n/s reverse light it blows fuses and kills the ignition!!

And that my twin carbs are great!! 8)

Must try that dimmer for the dash lights - I was about to go out and buy some bulbs!!

I have learnt that my brakes arent the best, and for some reason they heat my offside rear wheel!! I have also learnt that my seat belt has a funny contraption that allows you to lean forward, even though its a non inertia type! oh and that my ligh switch has a dimming function, but it doesn't work! lol

whilst restoring your Bay, always lift any sensitive or electrical equipment and place it up high at the end of the evenings work! :(

DSC01190.jpg

and dont try to drive through 4 floods on your way home as it will ruin your engine :cry:

DSC01192.jpg

my friend Pete's diesel gave up the ghost after navigating 4 floods!

:(

i really hope that this weather isn't heading your way :|

Meant to ask you if the floods in your part of the world had effected you , looks like they did :shock:

Hope not too much damage and everyone ok.

One thing ive learned today is that water sits in the drain channels on a sunroof van until you hit the brakes at a junction where a load of kids are watching you.
Could have done with some wipers on the inside :oops:

Joval said:
rustydiver said:

Eh? I usually take a run at it. :lol:

Must try that.

haahh

i've just tried that!! amazing lol

loving the replys on here, some great reading :lol:

Latest posts