What welder a are you guys using?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_azza

Reaction score
I'm after a new welder soon and wanna know what u guys are using and pro and cons etc
I have a cebora/snap on 130 turbo and need a new gun and there 75 so think a new welder is on the cards

I'm using an SIP migmate 130, and it's rubbish, so don't buy one.

Aha cheers I won't do that then. I may just get a new torch if it comes to it

I spent £180 recently on a second hand Maypole 170. The difference in capability coming from a 130 migmate is awesome, it's much happier. Bit rough around the edges but works very, very well.

Oh really? I used to use 10k murex machines so nothing will compare to them but not sure whats worth looking at that is cheap :/

I just bought a SIP migmate 130 really cheap. It needs a new torch, but if it is really that bad, I won't bother. I just wanted to learn on it.

I've got a Clarke 151en turbo gas/gasless although generally just use gas and I'm very pleased with it got it from MM on one of their vat free offers so quite a good price too.

I've had a Clarke 151TE Turbo gas for about 7/8 years now mate, other than a few tips and ends and 1 swan neck, it's been brilliant. It totally restored my 63 beetle, totally restored my mates trekker, did the tubs on my 68 bus, has narrowed several beams, just come back from restoring a friends 63 bug, and is now all cleaned and ready to start on my 71 bay, well, it's already done one rear chassis notch.

I can't recommend them highly enough, and the good thing is you can get as many spares as you like from Machine mart.

The only thing is, I heard a few weeks ago that they're not selling regulaters anymore, as people were using pub gas, as I do. Just get one off ebay :)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the reviews :)

Now go and buy one.

SkutterBob said:
I just bought a SIP migmate 130 really cheap. It needs a new torch, but if it is really that bad, I won't bother. I just wanted to learn on it.

The issue is the wire feed speed is inconsistent, you can get a nice weld going, move to the next bit to be welded and it's changed, usable (just) but very frustrating.

marco said:
SkutterBob said:

The issue is the wire feed speed is inconsistent, you can get a nice weld going, move to the next bit to be welded and it's changed, usable (just) but very frustrating.

How old is the wire liner ? What wire you using ? If you are using just steel wire dust forms in liner, copper coated is better but it still happens eventually.

gotta go with ballbag and nickj i have clarke 151en using argolight gas can't fault it generally have used big "industrial" types and for bodywork chassis etc this works fine, i bought it originallly because it was brand new/used for about an hour before the guy who was selling it totalled his golf before he could start using it so sold it in a grumpy huff does loads of hours on it and faultless.

I have been using a Clarke 135EN for many years and have no issues with it (apart from the trigger is a bit abrupt but you get used to it...) - I think the Clarke welders are good value. I was thinking about getting a Euro Welding Torch but a few peeps are saying not to bother!!

marco said:
SkutterBob said:

It is, yeah. When I was using mine I had an aluminium strap between the two rollers to keep the tension up, worked fine.

I had a clarke welder for years. Didn't realise how poor it was until i bought a portamig. Best investment ever.

Happystamps said:
marco said:
SkutterBob said:

It is, yeah. When I was using mine I had an aluminium strap between the two rollers to keep the tension up, worked fine.

I borrowed a sip migmate 130 and yes there were problems but i did two things to get over it.

1. Put a support under the bottom rollers

2. take the original liner out and change it for a steel one. This is crucial as the plastic ones kink when you move like a garden hose and they grip the wire restricting it.

As a newbie, I have decided not to bother with the Sip and bought a Clarke 135TE off eBay with only a couple of hours use. I pick it up Monday. Machine Mart said the 151 was too powerful to run at home as I could keep keep blowing fuses.

I got a 151 never blown a 13amp fuse yet, needs to be on full whack for about 5mm steel and run some to pop the fuse.

So I got myself a new torch and now the cebora 130 works great!! Shame it dosent have a dial for power tho

If money isnt an option Portamig are hard to beat. British built and british parts as well. google weldequip for details.

I have the 235 and it great from 0.5mm sheet right up to 8mm box section it can handle it no problem

edit: https://www.weldequip.com/portamig-mig-welders.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts