What would you do differently if you'd do it all over again?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2-Nate

Reaction score
That's right, I want to hear it from you guys!
I bet there's a lot of you guys that wet about and redid yer engines, or did the paintjob or had their engines tuned a bit, or just had to have that set of wheels, or you shelled out on a new steering wheel and paid £££ ...
BUT in the end it seemed as if you'd made the wrong decision and if you knew then what u know now - you'd done it differently

That's what I want to hear from you guys - AND - pics please !!!
And some nice stories would be nice too!

The bus didnt need a paint job but I went down that road and its been a right pain in the arse a year to get her painted not funny at all....

I often wonder whether I should have had my bus resprayed in it's original Lotus White when I had the choice. It would be expensive to put back now :? .

i put an alan schofield modified low-light front panel on mine when it had the resto - it haunts me that i have to have that damned small badge on the front...

oh and i would have bought a 2.0 westfalia but ten years and ten grand later i am happy really

its like asking whether your children could be better looking than they re really

IMHO

I wouldn't have wasted my money on $hit window seals, i would have spent good money to get the best ones in the first place :roll:

I should have kept the split like this. ( Thats me a week after buying the van in 2003 @ Vanfest )

myvan.jpg

No smart arse replies as the speaker wasn't part of the van.

Instead i did this

RIM00003.jpg

RIM00014.jpg

RIM00009.jpg

cadpowder.jpg

baremetalfront2.jpg

1.jpg

mike6.jpg

I went OTT and built a show winning van that was too nice to use that cost nearly £30k to build on top of the purchase price.

Looking back i should have kept as was plus a few choice modifications to running gear, however if i did i wouldn't be here as still on the SSVC site.

Mike

bl**dy nice looking split though but i know what you mean ive done the same my last van i was 2 scared to use especially after some little s&its egged it and the shells cracked the paint so i sold it ,and now ive bought my recent bay with the intention of running it as it is and hey ho here i go again that said its not painted yet so ??

What would you do differently if you'd do it all over again?

Ermm, nothing! I bought my bus off eBay unseen - but I'd do it all again in an instant! 8) :D

;)

i painted mine a colour im not keen on and painted it my self,i should have picked a lighter colour and got someone else to do a proper job :lol:

still love it but its far from perfect,just to green ,it looked so much paler on a test card
filey004.jpg

@Strongy: Actually I like your bay, but the wheels... :)))

No realy, its an OK colour, and be proud you did it yourself, paint costs a lot and so do professionals...

I'm doing bodywork school (or how you call it english) so I'm learning a lot + have the opportunity to do it all myself, using professional spray guns and just pay for the paint ...

kempy said:
I should have kept the split like this. ( Thats me a week after buying the van in 2003 @ Vanfest )

I went OTT and built a show winning van that was too nice to use that cost nearly £30k to build on top of the purchase price.

Looking back i should have kept as was plus a few choice modifications to running gear, however if i did i wouldn't be here as still on the SSVC site.

Mike

im with you mike when it comes to..., well "losing it", but apart from that I simply had no choice whatsoever:

f006.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

DSCF2552.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

so all I deeply deeply deeply regret, is the point that I did not opted for a better base to start from. i would encourage everyone out there to buy the best vehicle you could affort and make no shortcuts while doing so.
you're spending a fortune afterwards nevertheless.
so, cry once.

kempy said:

Mike

and oh yeah, cracking split that is, either way :wink:

strongy said:
i painted mine a colour im not keen on and painted it my self,i should have picked a lighter colour and got someone else to do a proper job :lol:

still love it but its far from perfect,just to green ,it looked so much paler on a test card
filey004.jpg

why? its a looker! might just give the wheels og paint scheme and your done! like it!
single tone paint scheme never look business on wheels imho, but thats not your fault.
:D :D

Agree with 71Bay_narrowed - Get the best pos base you can and if the van has belly pans,
try to take them off before you buy!!!!

gninnam said:
Agree with 71Bay_narrowed - Get the best pos base you can and if the van has belly pans,
try to take them off before you buy!!!!

i will second that for sure 8)

That I had saved a little more and bought a van that was more complete - not only is mine a project, it didn't even have an interior that I could 'make do' with. Having said that, it's been a 'project' for the last 4 years and I've been driving it daily - so I haven't done too badly out of it!

Latest posts