What's the best after market gear stick to use?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweat69

Reaction score
What's the best after market gear stick to use? :msn4:
I have a empi at the moment but when its in first gear i can't use the hand brake, is this aproblem for all of them?
Does the scat one have these problems? :?
Cheers

Jon said it, CSP is better and cheaper than the Berg shifter, not my words but a test in this months Volks World.....

Just

I really can not afford the csp i was thinking of the scat does that one have the problem with the hand brake in first gear? Does anyone else have trouble with there empi and first gear with there hand brake on?
Craig

I use an Empi and got round this by moving my hand brake :mrgreen:

4.jpg

sweat69 said:
I really can not afford the csp i was thinking of the scat does that one have the problem with the hand brake in first gear? Does anyone else have trouble with there empi and first gear with there hand brake on?
Craig

I do too. Just had it fitted and didn't know it would clash with the handbrake but have been told they all do. Like you couldn't justify the cost of the better ones at the moment and would be keen to know if the CSP of Berg do the same so I can save up.

There is another gearstick, a vintage something or other that others have said are good, they look cool too. I know it's around the £200 mark but can't remember who sells them and don't know if that fouls either.

Getting used to very quick hill starts at the moment :lol:

I think you`re on about the vintage speed one. I`ve heard lots of bits and pieces about it (on here) but not actually seen one in the flesh or even a picture of one. If I have seen one at a show, then I didn`t twig what it was :roll: Any one got a piccy of one ???????????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Eyes wide shut ! :shock: ;) :shock:

since havin the berg and refitting the front gearbox mounts i get every gear every time just as advertised, as good as our golf, but the hand brake is an issue but after adjustment we only need to pull it 30% out so its okay but not ideal :D

cant wait to get to vegas tommorow with my wingman jono :D :D

I currently use a Scat shifter and only have praise for it.........never faulted it, used quite a bit, including racing and the handbrake clears no probs :D Not too expensive either, a 1/4 of the price of my Gene Berg!

I have the Berg shifter, imported for £180 a few years back. Handbrake is not brill but slick gearchange more than makes up for it.

My tuppence, gearshifts are highly subjective things but...
The CSP and Berg ones are the schniz, but you're commited to a 'T' handle and not every one is a fan.
The VintageSpeed one looks good (and very discreet) and Scat catches flak from some quarters but I've had a fair few over the years, never an issue and the t-handle unscrews if you fancy something different..... :msn4:

I recently fitted a Gene Berg and had same problem re hitting handrake.

So I read the manual and adjusted the handrake, simple job, and now it's OK

Have to say the GB is really slick gear shift

I have had loads of shifters and I would say it is worth saving for the CSP.

Pluses:

*Shorter more engaging shift
*Longer handle than any of the others ( I can shift into all forward gears without taking my thumb off the wheel, honest )
*No issue with Handbrake, it is kinked out of the way and sits right next to the steering wheel.

Yep, my CSP shifter is one of the best things I've ever bought...period. Massive difference in driveability of the bus. Love it!

For me it's the Gene Berg, maybe the CSP is a better copy from the Berg but it's got no "history" build in it and i don't like the modern car leather boot at the base of the shifter :mrgreen:
No trouble at all with the handbrake when its in first gear.
DSC00053.jpg

21771ffb.jpg

Sits well, I have a Berg shifter in my attic, I gave it a trial fit and it was very nice but not in as good a position.

faux said:
21771ffb.jpg

Sits well, I have a Berg shifter in my attic, I gave it a trial fit and it was very nice but not in as good a position.

That photo pretty much sells the CSP to us 8) currently have stock shifter in our crossover and my missus finds it a stretch. From memory, the scat wasn't any longer than stock....

Had a SCAT, and it fell apart. Maybe it was faulty, and got my money back. Changed it to the CSP and can't praise it enough. The build quality is superb and don't have problem with it and the hand brake.

Latest posts