wheel nut size

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've currently got bolts on the rear and studs and nuts on the front - Stock 71 drum and disks.

I was sent some nuts with my new wheels but the threads are too large diameter... I need some replacements but have no real idea what size I need. The current good nuts are 19mm socket and the the bolts are 18mm

I've ordered a set of studs off JK that were listed for my year van so I'm hoping these will be ok.

Cheers,
Will

Last edited:
oh yeah and I wasn't to fit studs on the rear so I ordered an empty set from JK that said that they would fit the model and year.

Ah Man, it's never easy... The new bolts are 14 x 1.5 but the studs on my disks are not. These bolts slide straight over. I can use the existing ones for now but I am guessing I need to pull the disk to put the right gauge studs on yes?

Ah Man, it's never easy... The new bolts are 14 x 1.5 but the studs on my disks are not. These bolts slide straight over. I can use the existing ones for now but I am guessing I need to pull the disk to put the right gauge studs on yes?
IMG_2337.jpeg
These are not stock disks or caliber are they?

There is no adaptor, I have something custom.

Last edited:
Try a cheap tap and dye set - run up and down the stud until you find the right one.

Or take one of the existing studs or original nut somewhere and get them to match it.

That is a wheel adaptor, so what wheels are you running? The 5 allen bolts will be the original stud pattern/size.

Does anyone have any tips on installing the dust cap? I am missing my right one and ordered a replacement from Heritage and it seemed far too solid. Anyway, I could not get it over the hub even with a 5lb club hammer. The end gave in before the lips was even pushed over the hub. I thought I would use a grinder and see if a little starter slot would help but this made the whole thing warp/ split and still not fit. Something less solid would surly do for this application?

Crazy.

Last edited:
Oh the fun of non-stock parts...

I'm down some never ending rabbit hole it would seem where the best option is to put the old wheels back on (and need of a good refinish).

I got the 5 x 112 wheels returned and some 5 x 130 wheel eventually arrived last week. Now my bolts have been converted on M12 x 1.5 I guess to be able to run 5 x 130 BUT the 5 x 130 wheels I like are only a radius bolt type meaning that a M12 radius nut doesn't nicely interface the wheel like an M14 radius nut would. There is nice contact but it's not seated as it would be with an M14. I can't see why this conversion was done... to fit these wheels, I need to take all the hubs off and get them to a mate to see if the machining is possible... BUT it's now van season and we want to use the damn van!

I guess the new wheels go in the shed until next Winter.

...and the current wheel keep on looking really really tatty.

balls. arse. tits

Last edited:
I liked the last comment….😂😂😂
I feel your pain 🍻

I liked the last comment….😂😂😂
I feel your pain 🍻
Drive it as is, enjoy, sell purchased wheels at a loss and put it down to experience ... OR

... Spend every waking minute working out how to get shiny wheels onto the van, never sleeping again and having the van off the road for ages.

I know exactly where I am going to end up....

IMG_2438.jpeg
Rear done! There were some chunky adaptors on the hubs to fit the 5 x 130. 185 x 65 heavy load tyres fit nicely. 195 x 65 would have rubbed the arch with the adaptors.

IMG_2436.jpegIMG_2439.jpeg
The fronts are currently running the old hardware AND the new radius to taper washer meaning there is Washer > washer > bolt > locking bolt! It is NOT staying like this, I only did this to get it on the ground to allow me to do the rear. It turns out that the thread on my front adaptors studs are M12 x 1.75, so my boxes of nuts I've accumulated still didn't fit!

Looks nice though, just can'y drive it 😂 :cry::cry:

Latest posts