Which exhaust with bumper over riders?????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooke331

Reaction score
I finally found some bumper over-riders at Vanfest in september, only problem is my dual quiet pack exhaust rests against them causing the paint to burn :evil: Obviously this is no good so anyone with over riders - what exhausts are you using??? Also the van is quite heftily lowered, any ideas as all exhausts seem to be terminating in exactly the same location i.e. against my over riders. Any advice and / or pics much appreciated!!!!

28022010018.jpg

28022010019.jpg

28022010020.jpg

I run a standard system on my x-over and that works OK.

You could just cut and turn the exhaust tail pipes and reweld or cut and weld an extra section.

im using the bluebird stainless stock exhaust as im lowered, this gives excellent clearance and exits on the left as you look at the back

03032010026.jpg

also, i think the overiders usually attach on the other bumper to iron bolt bringing them closer together, but i might be talking bollocks there :lol:

pk1was said:
i think the overiders usually attach on the other bumper to iron bolt bringing them closer together, but i might be talking bollocks there :lol:

You sure are :lol: If they where mounted on the inner bolt you wouldnt be able to open the engine lid. Im running a single quite pack and have also run a standard pipe with no problems. In fact ive never seen an exhaust foul the over riders.
A1 style tuck away pipe will be the best thing if our worried about low ness. The only thing that will limit ou then is the over riders.

Excellent answers cheers chaps!

Clyde - have you got a pic of the back end of your van that you can post?

Cooke331 has a crossover.... bumper mounts 3.5 inch wider than other early bays, thats a posible cause for your overriders being too close to the exhaust pipes.
Do you have a type 4 or type 1 motor ?.......makes the list of what exhaust system you can fit easier.
I can see that your exhaust at present is an Empi twin quiet pack or something similar, as they rust very quickly from the inside & outside changing it now for a quality S/S system would make sense

I'm running a single quiet pack on mine with over riders. My tail pipe from the box passess beyond the over rider and causes no damage.

The original SQP box that was on there did burn the paint as it was a shorter tail pipe.

Harlequin said:
Cooke331 has a crossover.... bumper mounts 3.5 inch wider than other early bays, thats a posible cause for your overriders being too close to the exhaust pipes.

I realized he had a cross dresser (who could mistake that backend) Im not sure if they came with early or late style over riders but either way they would still be mounted onto the same bumper mount so the position wouldnt change. If you move them in they will prevent the engine lid opening. ( maybe the later type dont stand up so high in which case they could be moved in wards and not foul the engine lid or exhaust).

knew i was talkin bollocks :oops:

who needs to open the engine lid anyway, its a volkswagen :D

Latest posts