Which wheel bolt?! (Stupid question alert)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruscendrix

Reaction score
Hey,

Im sure this is the simplest of questions but...what size wheel bolts do i need if i'm changing the wheels on my van? The vans a '68 and currently has wide 5 empi type things on (like these http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158527&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and i'm changing these for some splitty steels.

Ive had a look at the bolts currently on but they're like a bolt that screws on to a different bolt to fit? (i don't no if that makes sense, i don't have a clue what i'm on about :msn4: )

Simply put, could i just re-use these to put the steels on or do i need a different wheel bolt, and if so, what size would it be?

Cheers!!
Rob

These are stock wheel bolts, if yours look like this then you can use them.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Wheel-bolt-T1-Beetle-8-67-T2-Bay-68-73-T25-fr-20-251601139_act_shop.product_pID_51415_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=2&crumbStartRow=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bolts & studs you are currently using need to stay with the wheels (if your selling or storing them) Like Wig says you need to get yourself the ones as per the link for the steels

The main difference with wheels and bolts is the seat of the bolt.

SO standard wheel bolts as you can see in the link posted above are what is called RADIUS (Above the thread it curves in a bulbous shape)

Most Aftermarket wheels are TAPERED, they have a diagonal line from the thread to the head.

It is crucial to get the correct bolt for your wheel as if running the wrong type you dont have the correct amount of surface to surface contact between the bolt and the wheel and rik your wheels falling off when the bolts undo.

If you need anything clarifying please feel free to phone VW Heritage and ask for me or email me direct, [email protected]

I've just bought some 15" alloys to go on my bus which currently has 14" steels and been told I will need to knock my old bolts out and fit longer ones on? Is that correct?

Stevec said:
I've just bought some 15" alloys to go on my bus which currently has 14" steels and been told I will need to knock my old bolts out and fit longer ones on? Is that correct?

Deepends on the wheel generally they are longer but as said above it is crucial to get the correct wheel bolt seat style too!

Latest posts