why did you buy your bus ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
so here's one for you , why did you buy your bus

some people I've meet at shows have told me its an investment , hmmm

I bought mine cos I'd always wanted one since as long as I can remember and it gets used for camping in all weathers this weekend we camped at santa pod very muddy :D

Got mine as i couldn't afford a splitty! Having a VW camper was my child hood dream that came true!

Didn't know what i was getting as thought all bays were bays but luck was on my side and i ended up with an early bay!!

Have to say even through the ups and downs this is the best thing I have bought and glad i couldn't afford a splitty!

About 10 - 11 years ago we (missus, daughter and I) were a young family were a young family struggling on by as you do.
One drove into the garage I was working at for an MOT.
I tested it and it failed badly, had been sat for years and the owner was just wanting to see what they had.
Mentioned it to my other half and she sead try and buy it, do it up and at least we could have weekends away.
Didnt end up getting it thankfully and has probably been scrapped.
Asked all my workmates to keep an eye out for me :mrgreen: .
About 2 weeks later a workmate told me about one about a mile from my house.
Knocked on the door and spoke too the owner. Apparently it had broken down on its way to rtts a year earlier.
Got it recovered and didnt touch it again.
£500 later and I got it :mrgreen: .

Long story short. Weekends away.
Sold it in august 2008 and baught the one I still have a month later.

Rich

Not an investment but been living hand to mouth for a few years.
Its good to know that if the shit hits the fan I have a plan B.

Hatched a plan to go travelling but the `68 devon tintop seemed a bit basic so I went looking at better interiors . Came across a westy based conversion - fridge , cooker LOADS of storage, lift up westy roof, 12 months tax & MOT oh , and 5 new tyres !! £900 - lived in it for 2 years , mostly on beaches around the Med - Greece / Turkey etc .

That was 20 years ago mind , still got mi van though and still going strong ... 8)

Investment ?? NOT FOR SALE !

(can`t wait for the `investment`bubble to burst - should be a laugh !!)

Because I'm an idiot! :shock: truthfully I have wanted one since I was in my twenties, 46 now had it for 4 years should be out of workshops in the next few weeks. It has bled me dry but really want to be out in it this year. Don't think they are an investment I just hope my dream vehicle lives up to its hype. Been on beans and toast for an age to pay for this and still got a way to go.

To stop the missus spending my redundancy pay out, and because I had a late bay about 14 years ago, and fancied getting back into it now that I have a little'en. She loves it, the missus still not 100% convinced. Just dreading the day it breaks down and I get the arms folded glare.

I was 18 and traveling oz and was looking for something cool to travel in, stumbled on an early tin top and bought it (I hadn't even driven it as I had a massive hangover). At the time I knew nothing about them, but as I drove around oz I gradually worked out that I didn't like late bays. Sold it before I came home, and never stopped missing it. 11 years later I had a wife and 3 kids, and was clearly owed my bus! We got it and second trip out the engine blew up! New engine now, loads of debt but couldn't be happier!

Sent from my arse using Tapatalk

I always wanted a 67 splitty but left it so long prices had got silly. A friend of mine has owned his early bay for in excess of 20yrs now so I thought why not, my kids were growing up fast so it was now or never. I purchased the biggest pile of rust known to man off eBay !! & quickly learnt the most expensive lesson of my life, round two I purchased the bus I own now..... Hopefully a wiser purchase :)

Couldn't imagine life with out my bus now even though it annoys the help out of me when it plays up ! But when working it never ceases to make me smile ..

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

mom and dad had a HEA 71k in the early 80s. i brought my first one a 71 devon after a wet camping trip in about 2003. sold it because of redundancy and helped to fund my return to studying. anyway fast forward to 2011 tent blew away in woolacombe which was no fun with two little ones. so decided to get my second bus a lhd westy. :) love my bus just wished i had more money to keep on top of her

A beetle, 2 bays, a golf, another bay, a wife and two kids with a twenty one year break.
Inheritance , shmeritance we now have another bay, yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So good to have the smile back. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Either you understand or you don't. Lovin it.

That's why.

J & P
:D :D :D

I was with a bird and we had kids, she went, kids stayed and I didn't want to put a sidecar on my motorcycle or drive a car shaped like a shoe, the free road tax, availability of spares and utilitarian nature of the bay appealed to me.
Several years down the line and I still think they rock, she'll never be a shiny but she can shift over a ton of rubble and the kids love her. The ability to make a cuppa and a bacon sandwich anywhere we pull over is a bonus :D

Because they're fashionable :mrgreen:

Not really. Grew up by the coast so saw them all the time. Got my first in 2002, RHD Devon looked solid at the time. Over the next few years began to notice issues with the bodywork. Obviously bodged panel repairs and plenty of filler. Then made the mistake of removing the bellypans... Tin cans welded on as chassis repairs. Sold it on as didn't have the money to do the repairs. Forward 4 years until now and wife constantly saying 'I want another one,' everytime we saw an earlybay. Saw my new one advertised on here just as some inheritance came out way.

I was 16 (in 2006 :oops: ) and we had a family holiday in Cornwall. We were renting an apartment in Porthtowan and walked along the coast to the next cove a few miles away. This cove was purely a surfing beach with one 'hut' used as changing rooms/serve tea. There, parked on the beach stood about 20 VW's, a mix of bays and splits. Loads had their tops popped.

I asked my dad what the weird looking cars with tents as a roof were and he told me they were Volkswagen's, he'd always wanted one but my mother said no. And that was that. For the rest of the trip we pointed them out every time we saw one and when I got home was straight onto the computer looking for them.

Fast forward 5 years at 21 I was lucky enough to import my 1969 Deluxe from the US. It was a mixture of pure luck and naivety that it arrived in excellent condition. Drove that for two years at university then got a girlfriend so decided I'd need more space and a camping interior.
Sold the deluxe in April and just waiting to collect my 1971 Westfalia from Holland.

Not fussed about the investment side although that does need to be remembered. I like them because I fell in love with that sight in Cornwall. Parked on the beach, camping interior, BBQ's, everyone was relaxed and had their home on wheels. They're extremely stylish and I love driving them and the potential for adventure.

I had a Beetle which had been pretty reliable, and I needed something a bit bigger and more practical to drive while the Beetle came off the road for me to do some work on it. £900 later I was the owner of a '71 T2a :)

Always wanted one, never thought I would own one until 4 months ago, when the wife said it would be a good idea for us to go camping in with our little boy, now the proud owners our 70 LHD Westy. Can't wait to go on our first trip next month. Plus it's the whole VW scene, I don't mean festivals an the like, but this forum for instance, I've never met anyone on here yet, but I've asked questions and read other posts, and everyone is so helpful and friendly.
I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister bought a T25 in 2010 and the (now) wife and I really loved the idea of getting a van. Shortly after we went to Thailand and were stranded for around a week due to the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic ash clouds. We got back after paying a small fortune to upgrade our tickets to get an earlier return flight and thought bollocks to going abroad any time soon we'll get a camper. Wasn't sure what we wanted but went to stanford hall in the T25 and had a look around the for sale area. Really liked the bays and had a good long look at some late bays. Came back with some contact details but got steered towards an early by Wilf (gingerporsche). Found a westy online near nottingham that looked fairly solid, had a drive and paid the money :) One of the best decisions we ever made.

The van had a few problems that if we weren't so naive we might have spotted. It came with a badly fitted 1200 engine but all the little niggles are ironed out now, it's fully restored and we're loving every trip 8)

67westy said:
My sister bought a T25 in 2010 and the (now) wife and I really loved the idea of getting a van. Shortly after we went to Thailand and were stranded for around a week due to the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic ash clouds. We got back after paying a small fortune to upgrade our tickets to get an earlier return flight and thought bollocks to going abroad any time soon we'll get a camper. Wasn't sure what we wanted but went to stanford hall in the T25 and had a look around the for sale area. Really liked the bays and had a good long look at some late bays. Came back with some contact details but got steered towards an early by Wilf (gingerporsche). Found a westy online near nottingham that looked fairly solid, had a drive and paid the money :) One of the best decisions we ever made.

The van had a few problems that if we weren't so naive we might have spotted. It came with a badly fitted 1200 engine but all the little niggles are ironed out now, it's fully restored and we're loving every trip 8)

1200 :shock: I bet that went well

Latest posts