Why do you lower?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooo1

Reaction score
Just interested, i noticed a LOT of your busses are low whereas we lates seem on the whole to stay standard, serious question do a lot of you use yours more as playthings rather than all out campers? i camp in mine every month and it's great being high, i can plough over potholes and farm tracks easily, i'm sort of in the mind that they look ok a fraction lower but when the front wheels are in more than they should be what's that all about? reminds me of when we used to jack the back end of our capri's up in the 70's everyone did it, is it a trend or does it seriously handle better? i mean no offence by this i just honestly think it's done more on earlies.

I have lowered mine so it fits in the garage :D - still use it for camping, shopping etc no problem.

Think it can become an issue for the slammed tubbed buses but if practicality was the main drive we would all be rolling around in Fiat/Hymer campers that are bespoke rather than converted commercial vehicles.

I reckon it's about 50/50 on lowered to stock on here.

I also think it looks cooler, it's a continuation of the 50/60s hot rod/cal look asthetic.

Mines not as low as some and it does drive better without all the air rushing underneath. It does however rub a bit when fully loaded and we did a great head turning front beam grind driving onto a campsite last weekend. My wife thinks it's awful :lol:

Mine is stock and will remain so,
some like the four punctures look i suppose , as for a trend well your guess is as good as mine :)

ha, mine's so high my mrs needs a step to get in it, serious! theres about 5 inches of space between front tyre and arch.
hahuhy7e.jpg

some of you guys would get a nose bleed.

Stock for me 8)
photo2-2.jpg

I did have it lowered on dropped spindles and coilies, but didnt like the ride and it just meant I couldnt go where I wanted to go all the time :lol:
Some of our favorite drives to beaches (in Cornwall mostly) werent possible when lowered without scraping the shit out of the bottom of the bus.
I also like the increased under bus storage area, both in the garage and when camping :lol:

Lower def looks cooler tho :mrgreen:

I suffer from vertigo... :p

(Mine was lowered by the previous owner, but the ability to get in multi-storey car parks or a standard garage is useful. The dropped spindles and so on leave me with a sensible ride quality. :))

handles a million times better and doesn't get shifted about by side winds so much.

Handles more like a car and less like a wallowy boat.

Means i get get towards and over 100mph on german autobahns without feeling like I may die!

Its mostly aesthetic for me, but, being lowered has never stopped me from using it and camping in it far and wide ... its a myth that if you cant possibly camp in it if its been lowered. :)

mine standard ride height drives lovely on the motorway and corners well it is vw intended they were set up like this for a reason so stock wheels and tyres i would never lower mine, i had intended to lower it when i first bought it but im glad i didn t i think it sits just right :D

DSC00349.jpg

Ours was lowered when we bought it. I prefer the look though and it means it fits in the garage (just). When we move and get a bigger garage I will probably raise it up a little, but not too much, as there is occasional rubbing.

Loxy said:
I guess it's a bit like asking why you fitted alloy wheels ;)
true, they came at the right money and time, my original wheels look shabby and i quite liked these, as i said i wasn't judging i too like mild lowered but slammed and narrowed doesn't do it for me, the same way paying road tax and the roof on backwards don't exite you :lol:

Clem said:
Its mostly aesthetic for me, but, being lowered has never stopped me from using it and camping in it far and wide ... its a myth that if you cant possibly camp in it if its been lowered. :)

This is true, infact this year Ive been over some stupidly bumpy fields and not got stuck or ripped anything off the bottom of mine which supprised me! I lover mine for looks alone, also I like the fact that its not a simple 'bolt on lower springs' job, so makes it all the more of a challenge 8)

Just

Clem said:

I agree with Clem, It's never stopped me camping anywhere. Although I've lost a couple of exhausts on speed bumps....
That reminds me, anyone want half an awning skirt? I've had to trim 6" off mine. :lol:

As others - practical reasons, so I could fit the bus in my garage!

Also helps that it looks cool, and seems to have made it less wallowy (is that a word?) - aware that I won't be going off road anytime soon, but hasn't stopped/hindered me at all camping - though mines not slammed, but believe it's about halfway between the two extremes:

Stock late, mine and brothers lower early:

dubsinthepark9.jpg

lobie said:
mine standard ride height drives lovely on the motorway and corners well it is vw intended they were set up like this for a reason so stock wheels and tyres i would never lower mine, i had intended to lower it when i first bought it but im glad i didn t i think it sits just right :D

DSC00349.jpg

Hi Lobie, please tell me more about your wheels, I guess their stock 112 PCD but chromed? the baby moon is an early type is it not? - and those whitewalls - painted? I'm looking to go for a more stockish look on my wheels much like your own, I also like 356 style Porsche rims but that would mean changing the hubs or fitting adapters....

In order to appear that I have not blatantly hi-jacked this thread, here's mine mildly lowered and useable. I like low, the lower you go a better a bus looks - then I am from Essex so I would say that :msn4:

IMG_0433.jpg

creationblue said:
Hey Andyo is the bucket under the engine to catch the oil? :lol:
:lol: i park mine on one of them plastic cement mixing spots....

Latest posts