Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to know that I’m not the only person who’s done it Mike 🧐, now when someone flashes or waves, the first thing we do is glance back and check the roof 🤣. I doubt we’ll make that mistake again.
We were laughing about one time years ago when a campsite put us on the wrong pitch and asked us to move, so we lowered the roof to move about 30yds, blimey we could’ve driven to the next campsite with the roof up 😂

Back home safe and sound after a brilliant trip that took in 10 beaches in all. Had to divert to Barmouth on our penultimate day to steer clear of the weather, before getting to a great site close to the Cross Foxes just up the hill from Dolgellau.

Had a great journey on the way home the next day taking the B4407 through Snowdonia

602b97f9-d474-4818-9a4f-5ec5bab40600.jpeg

217fd3f2-f859-43d9-a3af-b70f98e8d7e5.jpeg

8eacc3d5-5e0e-4af5-9edd-3f6736c1ea67.jpeg

It’s fair to say the pictures speak for themselves.

Worked out that Winnie covered 640 miles on approx 100 litres of fuel. More than happy with that 👍

c88d4da7-387a-4b5a-9273-4b2fbafb2819.jpeg

Speaking of Happy 🐶 Frankie’s already asking when our next trip is … very very soon 👍

Another comedy moment while away happened on our penultimate day, the only day it rained … one of the lugs snapped off the bottom of the accelerator pedal 🙈 that certainly made the drive to the campsite interesting 🤨 Sod’s Law having replaced everything else but the accelerator pedal 🤣. I managed to create a Heath Robinson solution to get us home on the last day and then fitted a new pedal today 👍 Oh and the horn stopped working, so having replaced the steering box pre trip I suspected the doughnut connection to be the issue, but after a lot of fannying around it was the 12v connection from the master cylinder that had come loose. All good now with the toot toot 👍

IMG_6544.jpeg

Last edited:
Well done !! Sounds like an amazing trip. The kind of thing I’d love to do. Love the photos 😎🌈👍

Thought I’d better check the new pedal as the wife’s away for a few days late next week and Winnie will be my daily. New linkage needed a bit of adjustment to get the travel right for full and return throttle. Took her for a spin and wow, why’ve I not done all these mods sooner 👍 Also treated the other pedals to new rubbers so they didn’t feel left out 👍

IMG_6625.jpeg

Wow looks great

Upgraded to an AGM Leisure battery,

Previous one had served us well but started showing signs of failure on our last outing.
Also tidied up the wiring behind the hook up plate and removed any now redundant gadgets.

IMG_6640.jpeg

IMG_6642.png

Having read the other thread about the Durite split charge relay, it occurred to me that I may have a problem with mine so exchanged it for this one.

IMG_6667.jpeg
Engine Running

IMG_6670.jpeg

Starter Battery after engine off

IMG_6671.jpeg

Relay de-energised at 12.8v 👍

Attachments

• IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Winnie’s floor was looking tired and faded after 7 years, so fitted some new adhesive planks. Great match with the interior trim.

9558e33b-c02e-4005-ac58-de0b1e2e3636.jpeg
64d15a44-3979-4f15-8f52-5eba6275b80e.jpeg
c3eba2c3-324f-4697-8b70-b082ef4c88cc.jpeg
IMG_6686.jpeg
IMG_6685.jpeg
Portaloo Buddy seat / diesel heater tank and table leg stand are now back in 👍

Attachments

• 1a3319b3-08b8-4f34-80f2-2d83882382cd.jpeg
    1a3319b3-08b8-4f34-80f2-2d83882382cd.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We went down Ffrith beach after tea the other night and brakes felt a bit naff on the way down the hill from Llanasa. As we’re down Aberdovey next week this needed looking at.

I remembered (not easy these days) I had some new bleeders for the front and by jolly were they needed. I replaced both rear drum cylinders a while back and plan to renew all lines over the winter but this obviously couldn’t wait.

Adjusted rear shoes, flushed new fluid right through (the Sealey 1 man bleeder is a great bit of kit) and then set handbrake for 6 clicks 👍

Had to get the old bleeders out with dogs they were that rounded off 🙈

IMG_6693.jpeg

Seeing the bracket that holds your LB in place reminded me that mine lost its nuts whilst in Cornwall last week. I only refitted it the night before we left as it had lost the previous bolts too! I even double-nut'd it! Its so fiddly to fit as my oil filter sits underneath, this time ill use threadlock!

Good work with the flooring

Seeing the bracket that holds your LB in place reminded me that mine lost its nuts whilst in Cornwall last week. I only refitted it the night before we left as it had lost the previous bolts too! I even double-nut'd it! Its so fiddly to fit as my oil filter sits underneath, this time ill use threadlock!

Good work with the flooring
There’s no chance of mine coming off, there’s about 4” exposed thread above those nuts. Took a while to spin them down tight 🤣

After a torrential drive down from Llanasa yesterday, best comedy moment being the drivers windscreen wiper coming loose on the spindle, as a result cleaning the front panel, which didn’t really help 🤣. Luckily I was able to dive into a lay-by and nip up the spindle nut to get us going again. We managed about 5 mins on Aberdovey beach (blowing a gale) and then managed to get set up on site in the dry so happy days 👍.

Today ventured to the other side of the Dovey estuary, namely Ynyslas beach, what a gorgeous place, dog friendly and the weather was considerably better.

Winnie driving superb, brake work prior to leaving has made a massive improvement, especially handbrake 👍. Also tweaked 123 curve slightly and reduced Malpassi pressure 1/2 turn as I’m still familiarising myself with the best running set up with the new ICT’s 👍

Close to 100 miles on 15 litres is more than acceptable though 👍

IMG_6717.jpeg

IMG_6718.jpeg

IMG_6720.jpeg

Attachments

• c70e5163-077a-4403-81e9-a9ded53a9957.jpeg
    c70e5163-077a-4403-81e9-a9ded53a9957.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great pics
Had same issue with drivers windscreen wiper coming out of St Malo in torrential rain en route to Île de Ré 2 weeks ago but luckily a quick fix as you say

Back safely from our short break, weather was very kind after the journey down. We visited Aberdovey, Ynsalas Borth, Aberystwyth, Machenllyth and had a lovely afternoon on Tywyn beach yesterday.
Saw 3 Early Bays on our travels, was in a convoy with a lotus white crossover on our way back from Aberystwyth, before we lost him after flooring Winnie to get past a doddering noddy car. Then there were 2 driving onto the beach car park at Tywyn as we rocked up yesterday, had a chat with the young owner in a matching Savannah Beige van.

Winnie covered 280 miles in total on about 45 litres of fuel and was brilliant on the twistys and up and down anything in front of her. Loving the Twin Webers and 123 combo, dizzy temp never went above 80 deg all week and oil temp dipstick didn’t flicker once 👍

Can’t wait for our next trip 👍

Clutch cable needs a nip up, too much free play in pedal 👍

39ce3619-ecfa-4628-950d-0dfc0e65c3b2.jpeg

741d01cc-4064-4382-861c-e1d7fd2952fd.jpeg

f40e86da-b519-486f-8f9f-e814f5b58af9.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts