Wiper Motor wiring? help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g16stu

Reaction score
1st of all appologies if this looks farmiliar, ioriginally posted this in an old thread but realised the problem im having wasnt so related to the original thread so im reposting it her for clarity and in the hope that someone can help out a little.

I have a '72 bus and recently its been constantly blowing fuses when i turn the wipers on, i assumed the motor was worn and drawing too much current and blowing the fuse. so i decided to remove the motor and replace it.
i bought a new motor supposedly for all busses from 67 to 74. this motor had a mounting hole in a different position to the original and there is a black / red wire as opposed to the black / violet on the original, since the annual test was due i fitted it to the spindles only and the blk /r where the original blk /v ran to.
Originally the wiper switch (knob mounted on the dash, not on the steering column) went from off to 1 click = slow to 2nd clock = fast. with the new motor the switch went from slow to 1 click = off to 2 clicks = slightly less slow. this got me through the test but i dont want to leave it like this so i got hold of another working motor that looks more similar to the original thats also supposed to be for a 72 although the wires are again a different colour.

can anyone tell me what terminal from the wiper switch should go to what wire on this "new" old motor before i fit it.
hopefully the picture below will help to explain

WIPER MOTOR SWITCH
has terminals 53 blk wiper motor +, 53a blk/v self park +, 53b blk/y wiper shunt winding , 31 br ground, 31b br ground via switch
924273.jpg

ORGINAL MOTOR TAKEN FROM BUS
924272.jpg

"NEW" ORIGINAL MOTOR
additiona green wire, from wiring diagram goes to 53e wiper brake winding / stop field, i dont have a 53e terminal on the switch, this seems to have been introduced late '72
924275.jpg

NEW MOTOR SUPPOSEDLY FOR ALL 67 TO 74 BUSSES
this seems to have random wire in random places and i cant find anything similar in any year wiring diagram but by deduction i have 2 options
if i look at the red and green wires coming from the actual motor then 53= blk/y, 53a=blk, 53b=blk/r.
if i forget the green and red and just look at the colours on the other two motors then 53=blk as per the other 2, 53b=blk/y as per the other 2 and 53a=blk/r as its the only one left
924274.jpg

ALL THREE MOTORS
924276.jpg

i hope to be able to fit the "new" old motor as it has the same mounting bracket, but i dont know what to connect the green to other than buying a new switch

if i cant figure out how to fit the new old motor i plan to test varous scenarios with the new new motor and mount it on the spindles only when i get the time but if i can someone has come accross this and can advise id really appreciate it as im short on time\

also if someone could give beter descriptions of the terminal designations it may help me figure something out.

(temminal codes are from din 72553 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the wiring diagrams used for the two old motors are from the samba - original motor http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_8_71.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and for the old motor with the green wire http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_8_72_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as i said for new new new motor i cant find any wiring diagram similar

Have you had any luck with this??

It's a difficult one to explain I should think and has had me a bit baffled.

Have you checked the terminals at the switch are isolated from each other and not shorting across? Insulated crimps would be better.

Seems to me that you wish to swap the existing motor with the new old replacement motor. As I see it the connections are the same only the replacement has a terminal on the backing plate for the red cable to the motor and the original was just connected straight through using spade connections. If you keep the switch connected as it was and trace the four cables you can connect the motor to the traced wires as it was. The other two cables, they can only be one way round or reversed.

The only thing different then is the small black box, does it have any markings in it? Could it be a resistor? I would install this as well or even try a new one! This may be the only item that is faulty!

Matt

The small black box is probably a supressor condensor fitted to reduce radio interference. Chuck it - they are really only needed when the motor is on the way out.

Have a good look at the various wiring diags then work out where the motor wires go from the switch. The new old motor is very similar to the original.

First of all thanks for the help so far, i got the wiring figured out, the "new" old motor was for a bus with a stalk wiper switch on the steering column, this used the green wire as a type of impulse function so if the stalk is pulled (like flashing the headlights) the wipers cycle once and return to the parking position. no real way around this but to disconnect the wiire and just not use this function, only problem is that this is also linked to the park function of the wipers so the wipers will simply stop where they are and not return to their intended original position. luckily i managed to swap this motor for a new old motor as was originally in the bus, great i think so fit it and viola everythings good, 2 speeds and the spindles carry on trotating to the end of the cycle even after i turn the switch of untill they get to the park position. so i fit the wiper arms and test again when i realise this motor is taken from a Right hand drive bus, mines a leftie so this motor is parking half way through its stroke, ie vertical. or to put it in another way as im sitting in the drivers seat, when i turn the switch the wipers initial movement, as i ook at it, is clockwise towards the floor, whaersas it should be anticlockwise to the sky.

anyone got any ideas how to revers this direction
?
a good general reference for wiper styles and functions can be found here

http://www.luftvolks.com/tech/5 - Windshield Wipers.pdf

if anyone else needs it, maybe my answers in there somewhere i just havent had chance to look yet

Thinking about it. if i detatch and rotate the arm on the wiper motor connecting to the push rods by 180 degrees it should reverse the direction the wipers turn and solve my problem, if anyone thinks otherwise pleased let me know before i try it. otherwise ill let you know how i get on.

ok that worked, problem solved, hope this thread helps someone out in the future. anyon ein holland want to buy the new motor?

Latest posts