Yet another US Westy....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobalero

Reaction score
Hi,

After a long time lurking and occasionally posting, our van should hopefully soon be ready so I thought I would get her introduced to you all. A '69 Westy from California. It seems like a long time coming as she has been in the UK since October but hopefully we will get to use her this summer.
In the USA...
image001.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

image006.jpg

In the UK at last
photo.jpg

Being painted
11146378_10205193966383076_330713348500504469_o.jpg

10427243_10205176683751021_4705814882168035763_n.jpg

Windows back in
11165832_838003579607365_1804508391_n.jpg

New Pop Top
11208839_841592679248455_132774516_n.jpg

Back Seat:
10422444_851608991575391_376833612205018657_n.jpg

We originally hoped to just polish off the graffiti but it was taking the paint off as well, so a re-spray from the swage line down was done.

All new seat pads and upholstery and just a general spruce up to make her a good family friendly bus as we have 2 young kids and now a puppy as well!

Watch this space. :)

Looks a great bus!

Bet you can't wait to get out with the family!

I've got a US import I'm cracking on with - dying to get it finished and on the road to take my other half and little girl away!

Well the MOT has been passed and we took a short 3 hour detour on our way home from our holidays to visit the van and see what progress had been made....

WP_20150717_11_31_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20150717_11_31_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20150717_11_30_49_Pro.jpg

Bus arrived on Thursday...

Reg Paperwork arrived on Saturday, so took it for a quick spin around the village I live in and it cut out completely due to a loose battery terminal.

Quick trip to Halfords and some new battery terminals to replace the rusty old ones and back running.

Realised 1st and 2nd gear are tricky at best to find. 2nd more likely results in reverse, so looking at upgrading to a CSP shifter as it is very fraught at junctions. Especially as the engine needs a bit of work and keeps cutting out at idle. I think I know what the issue is with that though (Here)

Some work to do but we are getting there!

nice bus, lovely interior. I know what you mean about the gear change, it can be a bit like stirring paint, but you get used to it, they're all in there somewhere. :lol:

That looks beautiful mate. Definitely recommend getting a new shifter. I couldn't drive mine when it arrived as the gears were so bad (and I'm used to old air-cooled vw's), but stuck a cheapo empi one on and it changed the bus totally. Still need the bushes sorting I reckon (and a CSP shifter would be nice) but makes a world of difference and I just drove to spain on it so can't be too bad!

No pictures yet but I fitted new battery terminals that actually grip on to the battery, new front seatbelts as the old ones where pretty cruddy and horrible, EMPI quick shift kit to sort the gear change out and started work on the engine.

Pictures soon.

:)

Quiet weekend on the camper van front.
Fitted the SCAT air filter I got my hands on (should have been their to start with so didn't cost me anything) which helped the engine run a lot nicer, although it did chuck a load of black stuff out the exhaust when it fired up.

Then took apart Offside Indicator to see why it wasn't working. Once all water drained out I discovered it is because one of the lugs on here has snapped off (The cover is cracked so that explains the water), if you push the bulb in fully it works. I did find a very old AA battery sat behind here which had long ago burst but has now been safely disposed of.

Other than that a quick trip to the shops with the youngest sat up front, just to get it out and driving around a bit. I cannot believe the gear change now. Precise and lovely. Plus I still have all the bushes to replace at some point as well.

Some photos of the inside that I took for the insurance valuation.

And one of the front.

Looking really good. I like the blue touch inside, it sparks up the interior.

Have you sorted shifting gears? Mine had the same problem, but replacing the old bushes underneath fixed this completely. It shifts lovely now and it's a cheap fix.

Resto-raider said:
Looking really good. I like the blue touch inside, it sparks up the interior.

Have you sorted shifting gears? Mine had the same problem, but replacing the old bushes underneath fixed this completely. It shifts lovely now and it's a cheap fix.

Put on the EMPI quick shift kit (under £6) and that sorted it right out. I have a set of bushes which I will replace as well but that was enough to be honest.

Latest posts