1955cc engine spec

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
Hi Jim

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60286&p=593563&hilit=Porsche#p593563

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,I hope this is it :mrgreen:

Hi Ozziedog, great thanks very much mate :D

Going to have to pass on the Porsche gearbox. Just done a search for a 901 box and they are going for @£2k on fleabay.

JimVeeW said:
Going to have to pass on the Porsche gearbox. Just done a search for a 901 box and they are going for @£2k on fleabay.

For an untested 50 year old gearbox, f*ck that. Buying an 091 6r rib and having it rebuilt to a full race spec box me cost just over 2k :lol: You’d be more than happy with a free-way flyer box and it will bolt straight in.

K@rlos said:
JimVeeW said:

For an untested 50 year old gearbox, f*ck that. Buying an 091 6r rib and having it rebuilt to a full race spec box me cost just over 2k :lol: You’d be more than happy with a free-way flyer box and it will bolt straight in.

Thanks K@rlos, just picked up an 091 6 Rib and lets hope it doesn't come near the £2k mark lol although I am not after a race spec jobbie

JimVeeW said:
K@rlos said:
JimVeeW said:

Thanks K@rlos, just picked up an 091 6 Rib and lets hope it doesn't come near the £2k mark lol although I am not after a race spec jobbie

It shouldn’t do if your having just a stock spec rebuild. Mine has heavy duty Weddle gears, shift forks and a super diff so a lot of the money was the bits. Make sure your get a type 1 input shaft fitted as the type 4 shaft it’s fitted with is longer. Also you’ll need longer engine mounting studs and the 091 bell housing is deeper

JimVeeW said:
Hi tofufi, can I just ask what Porsche 5 speed gearbox you had fitted? Cheers Jim
Hi Jim,

Ozzie is right, you can find the details here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60286

It's a 901 gearbox from a 1965ish Porsche 911. I did the work myself and did the whole thing in under a week - relatively straightforward and makes a huge difference to how refined it is at speed! 8)

Not sure if the images on my thread are working any more - if not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
Jim.

Tofufi said:
JimVeeW said:
Hi tofufi, can I just ask what Porsche 5 speed gearbox you had fitted? Cheers Jim
Hi Jim,

Ozzie is right, you can find the details here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60286

It's a 901 gearbox from a 1965ish Porsche 911. I did the work myself and did the whole thing in under a week - relatively straightforward and makes a huge difference to how refined it is at speed! 8)

Not sure if the images on my thread are working any more - if not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I had a look and to be honest the Porsche box is a tad our of my price range. I ended up buying a 6 rib gearbox and John Walklett is doing a refurb job on it. Hopefully not as expensive as the one K@rlos had built.

JimVeeW said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks, I had a look and to be honest the Porsche box is a tad our of my price range. I ended up buying a 6 rib gearbox and John Walklett is doing a refurb job on it. Hopefully not as expensive as the one K@rlos had built.

Sounds like a plan :) The Porsche box I bought a few years ago was £700 untested - I think they don't come up very often but I was surprised to see £2k being quoted!

Good luck with the 6 rib. I think the top gear ratio is about the same as the Porsche box, and mine now happily and quietly sits at 65mph all day long 8)

Tofufi said:
JimVeeW said:
Hi Jim,

Sounds like a plan :) The Porsche box I bought a few years ago was £700 untested - I think they don't come up very often but I was surprised to see £2k being quoted!

Good luck with the 6 rib. I think the top gear ratio is about the same as the Porsche box, and mine now happily and quietly sits at 65mph all day long 8)

Cheers mate, dropping it off at John Walklett’s place tomorrow

First stage done. Now for the dismantling process!
4e9d05313fecb5a11dc39a6f51208089.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@atafonso / anyone - any ideas on where I can get a 43404 76mm crank from?

CoolAir have a good price on one at the moment at https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Crankcase_and_Internal_Parts~Crankshafts-C-_Conrods-C-_Flywheels_-P-_Pulleys~Crankshafts~76mm/AC1058180/ON_SALE_76mm_Counterweighted_Crankshaft_-_Forged_4340.html but it's an 8-10 week lead time! :shock:

VeeDubMan said:
K@rlos said:
RJ Volksperformance, they stock cranks from 69 to 90mm.
Thanks...sadly not the 76mm though

Any other thoughts?

VWheritage have a 4340 moly 76mm crank for £295

VeeDubMan said:
K@rlos said:
VWheritage have a 4340 moly 76mm crank for £295

That's a 4140. Guess that's OK for my purposes?

So it is, my mistake. I'm sure it would be strong enough for your requirements but 4140 is easier to scratch

VeeDubMan said:

CoolAir have a good price on one at the moment at https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Crankcase_and_Internal_Parts~Crankshafts-C-_Conrods-C-_Flywheels_-P-_Pulleys~Crankshafts~76mm/AC1058180/ON_SALE_76mm_Counterweighted_Crankshaft_-_Forged_4340.html but it's an 8-10 week lead time! :shock:
Hi Steve😃
Sorry for the late reply, haven’t seen this🤭

I normally get mine from Cool Air, 4340. I have seen a few 4140 cranks break in half. Last one i saw was a CB one😱

Abel🤓

atafonso said:
VeeDubMan said:

Hi Steve[emoji2]
Sorry for the late reply, haven’t seen this[emoji2960]

I normally get mine from Cool Air, 4340. I have seen a few 4140 cranks break in half. Last one i saw was a CB one[emoji33]

Abel[emoji851]
WTF! How does that happen?! Worried now [emoji45]

atafonso said:
VeeDubMan said:

Hi Steve😃

I normally get mine from Cool Air, 4340. I have seen a few 4140 cranks break in half. Last one i saw was a CB one😱

Abel🤓

Really?! I take back all I said then lol. I know DPR are having a lot of problems with cranks snapping but didn't realize CB were having issues.

K@rlos said:
atafonso said:
VeeDubMan said:

Hi Steve😃

Abel🤓

Really?! I take back all I said then lol. I know DPR are having a lot of problems with cranks snapping but didn't realize CB were having issues.
There was a post on FB not long ago, the guy posted pics of the broken crank and all. I personally asked him what brand it was and he showed a pic with the CB logo, said was a 4140. I could see by the darker colour. That’s why i was shocked too, i used a couple of those in some builds, but stopped and only used 4340 since😱
I am pretty sure i saved the post/pics somewhere, i will find and post here😃

Abel

Latest posts