1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the new back plates weren't working with the new pistons from NK:

(the old ones)

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

and the new ones:

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6499.jpg

so I had to change them....

when I realized that the first pistons had been stucked in the wrong position, I decided to remove them. So I used high pressure air but I didn't use any wood betweem them (my third mistake :oops: ). They poped violently and hited one on the other breaking the edge a litle more....

IMG_6507.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6509.jpg

... and after, I stucked them again this time in the right position:

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

and a litle more done:

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

and once more, not having a piece of wood between them, resulted in this....

IMG_6518.jpg

Nothing too serious....

and almost finished.
First some new parts:

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

(this old piston will be used untill I don't receive a new one)

IMG_6903.jpg

... and the new one....

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

Final assembly:

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

before:

IMG_6107.jpg

after:

IMG_6912.jpg

before:

IMG_6105.jpg

after:

IMG_6913.jpg

... and they're ready to live again in my 68 bus :mrgreen:

Nice work on the calipers 8)

How long from start to finish did that take then?

gninnam, thanks...
It took me about 2 weeks... a couple hours each day and not working in them everyday.
8)

in July 2008 I decided to get a new machine to clean the underside of the bus. But before geting that machine I first bought a 100L air compressor. It wasn't a big air compressor but it was enough for what I had to do.
The person who sold me the compressor told me that I could carry on its side .... bad advice :evil: !
During the journey of 300 km's between Lisbon and Viseu, much of the lubrication came out and spread throughout my car.

IMG_7028.jpg

.. but after reading the instructions I found wich kind of lubrification was needed and so, I filled it up again:

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

.... and once at work, it has come fairly quickly to its limit:

IMG_7033.jpg

... and a small sand blaster that a friend lent me:

IMG_7036.jpg

After some minor air leaks solved, I was ready to try it... but it was too late so I waited for the next day.

IMG_7035.jpg

.... but I was afraid that the sand used could scratch my paint job so I decided to cover the bus completely:

IMG_7037.jpg

next day, early in the morning, I brought outside all I needed to start cleaning the bus:

IMG_7038.jpg

but first some protection:

IMG_7046.jpg

and...

IMG_7045.jpg

Sand ricochets and bounces everywhere.... and the glasses I was using weren't the best choice

IMG_7052.jpg

I used some cardboards to try and reuse some sand

IMG_7039.jpg

but even with this very small sandblaster, I realized it could work...

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

so a couple weeks later I bought this machine:

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

IMG_7126.jpg

and inside the box, there was this mask... although very simple, also proved very practical

IMG_7123.jpg

finally this suport was ready to be used.... but I would only use it inside the garage:

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

Before I started using the new sandblaster I decided to laydown a large piece of canvas so I can reuse the sand a few times before it turns only dust:

IMG_7166.jpg

and after I pushed the bus over it:

IMG_7167.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

... I then put the new compressor outside and conected it to the sandblaster.... I was ready to start cleaning it :mrgreen:

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

this time I decided to sift the sand before using it and every time I reused it again:

IMG_7174.jpg

some security equipment... :mrgreen:

IMG_7173.jpg

... and nothing happened 8) . I lost a few hours before getting all the taps in their right positions

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

but when the sandblaster started working properly, the plastic visor that came with the machine quickly became scratched...

IMG_7191.jpg

... and so, I had to make a new one, this time using glass:

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

cuting the corners to prevent some accident...

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

... but this kind of job was working and the bus was being cleaned :mrgreen:

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

the job was made while lying underneath the bus. Not the best position because all the sand used was falling over me...

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

... and to prevent being cuted if the glass broke while using it, I add some more protection. Security first 8)
-"Hello! I came in peace!" :mrgreen:

IMG_7198.jpg

... and so, every time the sand from the tank finished, I had to pull the bus from the canvas to reuse it...

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_7200.jpg

untill by the 4/5 time of reusing the same sand, it was only dust:

IMG_7201.jpg

... so time to get new sand:

IMG_7213.jpg

The sand rebound was so violent that quickly the glass got scratched, so I had to cut a lot more:

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

but it was working :mrgreen:

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

IMG_7248.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

I love your persistance Joaonar, and you have a lot of good ideas too - bit of an engineer maybe?
Nice job on the sandblasting too.
Now marine clean, metal ready & POR15 the sh** out of it :mrgreen:

Im really enjoying this thread 8) , your pictures of every detail is refreshing and brilliant.

Great job on the calipers, and i was going to buy a blaster for home use but wanted to see what others ideas were on them. No need now after seeing your results ;)

Agree with all the comments above ;)

The sandblaster looks to be well worth the money too me.

stuif said:
Wow, seems to be working great :shock:
yes, stuif! It's a very good machine and the result is excellent ;)

T2-Nate said:
I love your persistance Joaonar, and you have a lot of good ideas too - bit of an engineer maybe?
Nice job on the sandblasting too.
Now marine clean, metal ready & POR15 the sh** out of it :mrgreen:
Thanks T2-Nate. Engineer? no... Graphic Designer :mrgreen:
Is there any feedback on POR15 products? I got some and I intend to use them... just hope they are as good as I think they are (and as good as they were expensive) :roll:

johnny said:
Im really enjoying this thread 8) , your pictures of every detail is refreshing and brilliant.
Great job on the calipers, and i was going to buy a blaster for home use but wanted to see what others ideas were on them. No need now after seeing your results.
Thanks, johnny. I've got a lot more pictures to show and experiences to tell about this machine :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Agree with all the comments above . The sandblaster looks to be well worth the money too me.
Thanks again, gninnam.
Yes, it does....

easy said:
Top work and a great thread 8)
Thanks easy!

Johnny said:
how long did it take to do underneath?

johnny, it took me about 15 days.... maybe a few more. But there was some mishap along the way ....
I really believe that with a larger air compressor (about 200L or 300L) or 2 air compressor with 100L each but with a larger and more powerfull engine (instead of 2 HP, at least 3 ou 4HP each one), I could make it in half that time...
The sandblaster needs pressure of 8 to 6 BAR for an optimal performance.. and of course, new ceramic ferrules, because when they are too used, the performance drops a litle.
And don't forget that I had already spent some days scraping the anti-stoneship (anti-gravel) because if you try to remove it with the sand blaster, then you'll need 8 BAR, a completely new ceramic ferrule and proper sand for the job (with a lot of silica)...
and, if you use one of these machines: Body Roller the job will become much more easier because you will always see where the sand is hiting...
Doing this kind of work lying under the bus, is not the best choice, because the dust and sand will fall over your mask and will not let you see easily where you're cleaning and besides, there isn't much light either even if you use a lamp like I did (pictures to come :mrgreen: ).....

I hope I have made myself understood with my rusty English :oops:

Latest posts