1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Johnny 8)

Everyday I hope you have uploaded more info as the pics speak a thousand words :mrgreen:

thanks Johnny.... 8)

gninnam, so here're some more :mrgreen:

but first let me say that I did in fact use that vacuum cleaner I showed in some previous pictures... but that was not the best choice because the sand was sucked so hard it cuted up the bag and some got inside the engine ...
The best is to use a vacuum cleaner with water as a filter...

after assembling both suspensions I went back to the first garage, where my father was to ask for his help to remove the bus from the "bunker" :mrgreen:

When I got there I realized he was making the second cast for the other water tank:

foto_viseu_199.jpg

... and with his help I managed to take the bus out....

foto_viseu_203.jpg

... but it was not easy to get over this rebound...

foto_viseu_204.jpg

... not even with a ramp made of sand....

foto_viseu_205.jpg

... so, some more help...

foto_viseu_207.jpg

foto_viseu_208.jpg

... until finally....

foto_viseu_209.jpg

the plastics I used to cover the bus were full of dust and sand....

foto_viseu_210.jpg

foto_viseu_211.jpg

... and inside, a lot more everywhere...

foto_viseu_212.jpg

foto_viseu_213.jpg

foto_viseu_221.jpg

... so I spent some more hours cleaning it. I also had to remove some more parts, so I could clean it better...

foto_viseu_214.jpg

foto_viseu_216.jpg

foto_viseu_217.jpg

... and finally I used the water pressure machine...

foto_viseu_218.jpg

... and already washed and drying in the sun....

foto_viseu_219.jpg

... in the meantime we went to borrow a tool I needed....

foto_viseu_222.jpg

so, with the tool I needed, we managed to remove the large nut from the rear brake drums....

foto_viseu_224.jpg

foto_viseu_225.jpg

foto_viseu_226.jpg

... really big :mrgreen: ...

foto_viseu_227.jpg

foto_viseu_228.jpg

foto_viseu_229.jpg

foto_viseu_230.jpg

Next day morning we went back to the return the tool....

foto_viseu_231.jpg

In here, you've everything you need for your VW :mrgreen: ...

foto_viseu_232.jpg

foto_viseu_233.jpg

If anyone visiting this region of Portugal brakes down, this is the man to call for help :mrgreen: .

Next day morning, the bus was a litle more cleaned....

foto_viseu_234.jpg

foto_viseu_235.jpg

and next, I went to clean my new dolly...

foto_viseu_236.jpg

foto_viseu_237.jpg

foto_viseu_238.jpg

... once more I needed to borrow another tool :mrgreen: . This time a really big hydraulic jack...

foto_viseu_239.jpg

...and with it, I lifted the bus ....

foto_viseu_240.jpg

foto_viseu_241.jpg

foto_viseu_242.jpg

In the meantime it was necessary to cut some pieces of wood....

foto_viseu_243.jpg

... and with the dolly in place....

foto_viseu_246.jpg

foto_viseu_247.jpg

(last minute modifications :mrgreen: )

foto_viseu_249.jpg

and already siting on it....

foto_viseu_250.jpg

foto_viseu_251.jpg

and once more :mrgreen:

foto_viseu_252.jpg

foto_viseu_253.jpg

foto_viseu_254.jpg

foto_viseu_255.jpg

and with the help of a good tools box (this time not borrowed :mrgreen: ) ....

foto_viseu_256.jpg

... the bus became lighter...

foto_viseu_257.jpg

foto_viseu_258.jpg

foto_viseu_261.jpg

... and some more rust problems that appeared while I was sandblasting underneath it :| ...

foto_viseu_259.jpg

With the tools from my tool box, I managed to remove all the screws from the front suspension... Not as hard as removing the screws from the westy's front suspension:

foto_viseu_263.jpg

foto_viseu_264.jpg

foto_viseu_271.jpg

foto_viseu_272.jpg

foto_viseu_273.jpg

foto_viseu_274.jpg

foto_viseu_275.jpg

foto_viseu_276.jpg

foto_viseu_277.jpg

foto_viseu_278.jpg

foto_viseu_279.jpg

next day morning... some more parts to remove from the front suspension:

foto_viseu_280.jpg

foto_viseu_281.jpg

foto_viseu_282.jpg

foto_viseu_283.jpg

foto_viseu_284.jpg

foto_viseu_285.jpg

... and it was time to remove the spindles...

foto_viseu_286.jpg

... but I had to return to Lisbon that same day, so I choosed a faster method for removing them:

foto_viseu_287.jpg

foto_viseu_288.jpg

foto_viseu_289.jpg

foto_viseu_290.jpg

foto_viseu_291.jpg

foto_viseu_292.jpg

foto_viseu_294.jpg

foto_viseu_295.jpg

... not the best, I know....
:mrgreen:

It was time to return to Lisbon so I left the front axle under my parts warehouse....

foto_viseu_296.jpg

... and left the sandblaster rest for a couple of weeks....

foto_viseu_297.jpg

... and the bus on top of the new dolly ....

foto_viseu_299.jpg

gninnam... a lot more still to come :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
You are spoiling me :oops:
Like the dolly you made 8)
:mrgreen: ....
thanks.... ;)

Johnny: thanks... but the funniest part is still to come :mrgreen:

mychatype3: thanks... I just hope to feel the same you do when you look to the underside of your bus ;)

dubscum: Thanks a lot... I really love your bus... There're so many wonderful threads in here. I will need a couple of months just to read them all :mrgreen:

a few weeks later I got back to the city of Viseu. There was still a lot more to do....

First we tried to remove the only screw left on the westy's front axle...

PB100171.jpg

PB100173.jpg

PB100174.jpg

... but we didn't manage to remove. I will try to remove it later....
So, I prepared myself to start sandblasting these parts:

PB100176.jpg

PB100177.jpg

Well, I guess the guys from POR-15 should be paying you for this free advertising they're getting here :mrgreen:

Did you buy the sandblaster from Holland/Belgium, the writing on the nozzles bag is in dutch?

Very anxious to see all those POR-products in action, curious about some of the products as I've only used POR-15 and the Tie-Coat primer before.

Obrigado para os etratos!

T2-Nate said:
Well, I guess the guys from POR-15 should be paying you for this free advertising they're getting here :mrgreen:

I wish :mrgreen: ....Thet were really expensive :| .
I just hope they work as well as I'm thinking they will :roll:
I've been copying this thread from a portuguese forum.... and in that forum there's no one that has already tried these products. I guess I'll be the first one.... a guinea pig for the rest :mrgreen:

The sandblaster was bought in Portugal :mrgreen: ....

T2-Nate said:
Very anxious to see all those POR-products in action, curious about some of the products as I've only used POR-15 and the Tie-Coat primer before.

Do you have a good feedback from them?

T2-Nate said:
Obrigado para os retratos!
.... I've got a lot, lot more (so I guess I'll be bothering you for a while) :mrgreen:

I've found the POR-15 -when applied strictly by the book- to be very good and solid paint.
I especially like the tip they gave me to lightly dust the still tacky POR-15 coat with spraycan-primer, this way it really adheres well together and you won't have to sand into the POR-15 itself. Just don't fully coat the POR-15 as you will get cracks in the primer!
I use it whenever I don't see the need to replace structural or body panels just because they've corroded a bit, just thoroughly clean them from paint and other foreign materials and use the Marine clean liberally (preferably mixed 1:2 with hot water), apply with a scotchbrite or something, use the high pressure cleaner to rinse well, then spray on the metal ready and use a brush to make it really penetrate all cavities as it leaves a zinc-phospate residue that the paint really likes to adhere to.
Make sure you get small bubbles when brushing. Without proper metal ready prep the paint won't last. Been there done that!
Just be sure to rinse again after the metal ready but leave it for a while (30 min) and make sure to spray some water mist on the metal ready'd panels to amplify the effect.
Don't paint unless you're sure the surface is bone-dry! Will be pretty fast in your climate but compressed air (moisture trap!) will speed things up.
It dries in about 2 hours so spray the dust coat of primer on fast if you want to topcoat.
Have faith in the paint, it works pretty good.
The Tie-coat primer goes on without abrading the POR-surface because of its' special compound however but I feel it's best sprayed on as it doesn't cover very well.

Best of luck to you!

Latest posts