1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once he ended this task, he protected them with a primer....

Imagem(220).jpg

and my rear corners....

Imagem(221).jpg

Imagem(222).jpg

Imagem(223).jpg

Imagem(224).jpg

Imagem(225).jpg

Imagem(226).jpg

... still a lot to be done in here!

this piece was also needing some welding:

Imagem(256).jpg

Imagem(257).jpg

Imagem(258).jpg

Imagem(259).jpg

Imagem(260).jpg

Imagem(261).jpg

Imagem(262).jpg

... still waiting for a good interior cleaning before being weld:

IMG_1529.jpg

and these are the areas that Hugo is still fixing:

(rear corners)

Imagem(223).jpg

and also this one.
Pictures from 2006

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

... and after using a rust inhibitor...

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

.... and a lot of Dinitrol cavity wax .....

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

.... with 0 results :roll:
You just can't see any of the Dinitrol wax and none of the rust inhibitor.... and there's still a lot of rust.

So, this area needs a lot of work hours....

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1528GP.jpg

These are the last pictures I have.
This is her actual look and condition....
:mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm shocked - how can it be that none of the dinitrol or rust inhibitor had any effect????
Very very unusual - but I'm sure that Hugo will deal with it accordingly 8)

So how's the weather now in portugal?

Greetz

joaonar said:
That's the kind of discs I'm talking about... and what Hugo used on the bus.

a disc like that was being used in this picture:

IM003515.jpg

I guess Hugo decided to use a paint remover because there was a lot of putty everywhere on the bus beneath the paint... It was going to make a mess... and we were working inside the bodyshop.
He used it later, when the bus was almost in bare metal....

i was picking red dust out of every orrifice for weeks :lol: , it does go everywhere so i can see why hes using paint stripper. I did one panel and stopped becasue the stripper was so messy an left a pretty nasty residue.

Johnny said:
joaonar said:
That's the kind of discs I'm talking about... and what Hugo used on the bus.

a disc like that was being used in this picture:

I guess Hugo decided to use a paint remover because there was a lot of putty everywhere on the bus beneath the paint... It was going to make a mess... and we were working inside the bodyshop.
He used it later, when the bus was almost in bare metal....

i was picking red dust out of every orrifice for weeks :lol: , it does go everywhere so i can see why hes using paint stripper. I did one panel and stopped becasue the stripper was so messy an left a pretty nasty residue.

I used paint stripper on my whole bus, left it on for a while so it would also make the filler (putty) soft, and used one of those razors they use to clean paint from glass for removing the paint.
After that I just used plenty of celly thinners and finally a scotchbrite disc to clean it all up. No residue left at all.
I guess because I let it dry out for days it came off without leaving residue.
Anyway just wanted to share my experience.

Great work and I am surprised about the wax and rust inhibitor :shock:

Those water tanks look great - how are they filled or emptied?

Keep it coming ;)

id love to see what the fiberglass part of the tank is like?, probably too late as you have them all in place.

Johnny said:
id love to see what the fiberglass part of the tank is like?, probably too late as you have them all in place.

There is some pics of them being made in the thread that shows the shape 8)

T2-Nate said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm shocked - how can it be that none of the dinitrol or rust inhibitor had any effect????
Very very unusual - but I'm sure that Hugo will deal with it accordingly 8)

So how's the weather now in portugal?

Greetz

Nate... 0 effect!
and I used a lot of both as you can see in some pictures on the first pages... I can tell you that I used almost all the botle of Dinitrol and now you just can't find it in this picture :shock:
I really don't know where it went :roll:
And yes... now I know the bus is in the correct hands :mrgreen:

The weather? Excellent: sun all day, 21º Celsius in Lisbon and some wind (it get's stronger at the end of the day).
You're welcome to make me a visit ;)

gninnam said:
Great work and I am surprised about the wax and rust inhibitor :shock:

Those water tanks look great - how are they filled or emptied?

Keep it coming ;)

gninnam... they still don't have any holes. I just left them in Hugo's bodyshop, so he could make me the brackets and the necessary holes on the bus to get them in place under it.
We will take them out again, to finish them (exterior paint and other acessories to make them fully functional).

johnny: as easy wrote, there are some pictures in some previous post's.... and as above, they are in place just for now. There is still a lot to be done in them ;)

IMG_0857.jpg

Nate, so sorry for this late reply :oops:
I've been away from all foruns due to a huge amount of work... :oops:

The bus is still in the same stage that you can see in these last pictures.
I've been looking for decent replacement panels but ended up getting a pair of rear corners from Hoffmann Speedster :roll: .... again I realized these parts from Hoffmann are a huge crap so we decided not to use them.
A stupid waste of money and time :evil:

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I then decided to get new ones from Justkampers through a very friendly english dude living in Portugal (Tavira - Algarve) but the ash cloud delayed the delivery and on arrival we realized there were some parts missing (I asked for the rear corners and some jack points and bits).
So, now I have everything Hugo needs to finish the task (at least, I hope so :roll: ).
The new replacement panels are being "metalized" (zinc coating) while I'm writing these lines... at least, they will not rust for a couple of decades :mrgreen:
Once they're ready, I'll send them to Hugo so he can start working on the bus again.....
:|

Did those parts actually arrive in that state :shock:

Very poor :evil:

Thank god the ash cloud has gone - means you should get the van on the way again ;)

:shock:

how bad are they? damn bad.... ive seen smaller waves of the west coast of donegal in a 3m swell!

gninnam said:
Did those parts actually arrive in that state :shock:
Very poor :evil:
yes they did... and yes they are! :evil:
gninnam said:
Thank god the ash cloud has gone - means you should get the van on the way again ;)
I hope so... but the rear corner of the roof is scearing us both :roll: ....
Johnny said:
how bad are they? damn bad.... ive seen smaller waves of the west coast of donegal in a 3m swell!
T2-Nate said:
Hey João, did you do anything more on the bus?
Nate, BTW :D .... how do you know my name has a "~"?... That's really unusual for an non-native portuguese speaker :mrgreen:

Nice to see some progress, and those corner panels are an outrage!

Well about your name, I had a very good friend in high school and he was a portugese exchange student. His name was also João. And I also have huge interest in foreign languages & cultures so I remember those things :)

Latest posts