1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the good thing is that without the roof, we can clean all these rust.....

Imagem(664).jpg

Imagem(665).jpg

Imagem(666).jpg

Imagem(667).jpg

Imagem(668).jpg

Hi João,

What a splendid thread. I have only today come upon it and have spent several hours reading it right through from the start. (The many pictures take time to see properly).

I really feel for you, your thread tells the story so well. You start with "doing it up" and gradually raise your standards as it progresses. I admire you for sticking with it and re-doing those parts you later decided were not good enough.

Its a great pity that there was not somebody with whom you could have discussed this and could have given you advice right at the start - it would have saved you a great deal of time, money and work.

Full marks for posting up everything as it happened - it will be a very useful guide for others starting a restoration. I bet you wish there had been a thread like this for you to have looked at when you were starting.

Hugo looks to be doing some fine work for you and I look forward to seeing the further progress you and he make on your camper. It will be a beauty when its done.

(Just dont make the same mistake I made with my E Type some years ago, where I over restored to concourse standard and ended up with a museum piece - ended selling it since I could not enjoy driving it :lol: )

ps. your English is excellent - I just wish my portugese was 5% as good :)

Trikky2, thanks for your words.... ;)

"Its a great pity that there was not somebody with whom you could have discussed this and could have given you advice right at the start - it would have saved you a great deal of time, money and work."

I did in fact had someone giving me some advices...however, they were not the right ones :mrgreen: ... and yes, I tried to find some informations over the internet but I didn't find any (in 2004/2005 before I began this saga).
well, now I just want this to end.. but we keep finding rust to repair and I'm not sure when will this be finished.

dont dispair,you will get there,its that "why did I ever start"period that gets us all on big jobs(and small ones :shock: )when its painted it will refuel your enthusiasim and you wont be abale to wait to be out on the road,cracking job,done all the bits your doing,but not on the same bus :roll: so know what its like.

:shock:

Must be because of sleeping in the bus then during family trips that it became so rusty?

Hugo is really talented, not many people would take on a job like that and still be taking pictures :roll:

How you gonna paint it when it's finished?

-Keep it up man looking forward to the next installments!

Thanks 67panel.... I will get it back on the road...eventually :mrgreen:

T2-nate: I'm not sure... but that's probably one of the reasons as the rust hole on the back corner is another one...
I'm still not sure about the colors scheme. I like the previous one (white with L380 Pacific Blue) but now I'm not really sure about it. I love the color on davebug bus with the deluxe trim... I still have a lot of time before getting it to a paint shop to decide :mrgreen:
And yes... Hugo is very skilled and talented...and also, very honest. No fiberglass and fillers in his job ;) .
The pictures show it all :mrgreen:

Hugo job is excellent. My new jack points and outriggers are in place.
Since they're zinc coated, they will last a couple of decades :mrgreen:

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

and both rear corners are also done!

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

you can't see in Hugo pictures but everything is in place...

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

It's an old Mozambique car, left hand drive (I supose it's a '69 bus). No papers and no license plates....
Under a blazing sun (18 pm and almost 35º Celsius :shock: ) we managed to remove it from the place it had been since 1988 (at least, that's the year of the last legal authorization for getting on the road).

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

And a couple of hours later, we had it parked in an clearing where the tow truck could pick her with ease:

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

this "ferrari" revealed to be a major help:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1958b.jpg

half an hour later, the same tow truck from an year ago, came to get her to Hugo's bodyshop. The driver still remembered the last "piece of crap" he took there :mrgreen:

IMG_1959.jpg

it was funny to see a lot of mices dropping from the bus into the tow truck. The driver still ran with the intention of hiting them with a wooden stick but they were faster escaping him:
Tow truck driver, 0 - mices, 1
:mrgreen:

a couple of minutes later, the bus was getting dropped into Hugo's bodyshop:

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

a lot of work to be done in it.. and a lot of cleaning too :mrgreen: :

IMG_1965.jpg

Great update as usual 8)

The other bus isn't just going to be used for its roof is it :?:

joaonar said:
andy,
that's the major plan, so far :oops:

OK - take it that it is passed its prime then :msn4:

Really like the work that Hugo is doing - will be a top van when he's finished :mrgreen:

(did your son like the lego??)

Andy: sorry for this late reply. I've been away for a couple of weeks and although I took my computer to keep working while travelling, my internet access was very limited :oops:
About the lego and since it took a few more weeks to get here, I kept it away and I will give it to him next christmas... afterall he ended receiving a lot of other presents to fill his bedroom even more :roll:

Nate: there's a lot more to show you :lol:

so, next day under a blazing sun, I was able to see the bus properly:

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

and the last year she was street legal:

IMG_1982.jpg

I borrowed again the high pressure water jet cleaning machine from a neighbor but when I arrived to Hugo's bodyshop I realized he had bought one that same day...although not as powerfull it works great as well:

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

The plan was to seize the hellish heat that was that day for a quick evaporation of all water used.
Inside hugo's workshop and with the front gate/door completely open, this clock/thermometer that is positioned next to that gate and in the shade, was showing us the modest temperature of 30.7 at 4 pm.
8)

IMG_1980.jpg

.... and using both machines and some manual labor, the bus was being cleaned

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Latest posts