1969 Arctic Explorer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crack me up mate - love the extremes! must admit i do keep seeing standard height westy's recently and find myself liking the look :? given that we bought our bus to use I am tempted to go back to std and just slam the bug to get my low down fix!

snow_pikey said:
Thats Crazy COOL!!! :D

I always wondered how many holiday snaps I would be in, I was working in the ski shop which is independent of the hotel and the head of hotel security would always be on my case for parking out the front, of (as you know) a very swanky hotel.

How funny..... I must admit that it was the last thing I expected to see parked out front... but so glad it was! I went in that ski shop, so who knows we may have actually spoke without you knowing I'd just been stalking your bus!

Dan

Ps. Can't seem to view the pictures you've posted today... Might just be me though?

Love the pictures from the 80's 8)

Looks like the aircooled VW is in your blood then ;)

Dan we probably did chat I would have been in the shop,

Glad you liked the pictures :D

I have not made much new progress with the bus, still just filling and flatting, flatting and filling.
But I thought I might share a few pictures and a quick condensed story on how I came to be in Canada and how I ended up with Missy..........

It all started with a broken arm over looking the L&D Hospital....... (now skip a couple of winters in the Alps and a couple of buses and road trips) ........I spent best part of a year living in or out of my much loved T25 van...

e736ebb1.jpg

6caf1df4.jpg

..... when I came up with a 4 part plan: 1-fly to Canada, 2-buy a bus, 3-do another winter season, 4-drive to the Arctic.
It was suposed to be a 8month trip which turned into 3years :D

So I flew to Canada and hung out in Vancouver searching for a bus.....

97c40857.jpg

1c038be3.jpg

e220ba89.jpg

It took nearly 2weeks, after a lot of wasted bus rides and nearly loosing my foot when a sliding door fell off one rotten bus, I found Missy on http://www.kijiji.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (a great website if you want to window shop for projects) I was pretty fed up and not really feeling it. I am not big on cities and they are even less fun on your own with loads of rain.

But I knew as soon as I saw this bus it was the one, so I waited for the guy selling the bus to turn up at the address. There were some sweet cars to keep me busy :D .....

beee337d.jpg

......the guy who turns up to sell his sisters bus is Geoff Peterson, kinda crazy as I had a poster of his Heb-Rod on my wall when I left the UK...

58eb7947.jpg

So omens good (small world), he was super sound and helped me get insurance and gave me an address to register the bus as I had no clue at all, so we part ways and I head off to CIP (californian import parts) which is just outside Vancouver :?
I brought a few tools on the way there and a new carb, dizzy and inlet manifold boots from CIP to stop the air leak.

I only had the car park to service and fix up Missy (thanks CIP sorry about the oil), I finally get her running sweet and head off to find a Motel for the night and I am thinking 'sweet! phase two' plans going well.

Enroute after a couple of miles (or Kms) I hear a nasty noise :shock: then banging, loss of power :( limping to the nearest motel I get a room and sleep on it. Next day I am looking at my bus and I get chatting to an old guy who is walking his dog (as you do) about busses etc.... and my problem he tells me about a garage round the corner so I check out and check it out and right enough I find Duane's German Autohaus.

8ec4b7cc.jpg

I just turned up with a knackered bus I know no one there or in Canada for that matter and they are proper nice and let me borrow a jack to pull out my engine in the yard then strip it in the workshop.

ef79e22e.jpg

4f24312a.jpg

(It turned out to be a tinware screw fallen into the head and jammed a valve open)

I ended up living in Duane's yard for nearly a week whilst I rebuilt my engine and sorted out the rest of my bus. It was great!! in the evening we drove about and collected old Bugs and buses even a split screen Binz (didn't have my camera :roll: )

b641af80.jpg

95dba9b6.jpg

0c14550d.jpg

I got Missy all ship shape and the engine built up with a bit of help from a Dutch guy who served his apprenticship with vw in in the late 50s/60s

466120a6.jpg

2584cd3c.jpg

532cd0b5.jpg

All the people at the garage helped me out, I was even lent a car to collect parts. It's good to know we are all part of a VW community and there are still people who will help a stranger out.

I headed east towards Fernie, missed the turning and ended up in Banff for 3years, I spent a summer in the Western Arctic and Missy never let me down again :D

Awesome story! there are really some cool people around thats for sure 8)

Yet another great story 8)

Sure makes my life sound dull and boring though so thanks for that ;)

Andy I am sure your life isn't boring, coming home every night and rubbing down filler thats boring :lol:

I have borrowed a new air-tool to help :D ......

9d5e6907.jpg

a4e4ec31.jpg

f925b387.jpg

I am not finnished yet but it's getting better :)

The replacement lower front panel turned up from Just Campers. I am really happy they exchanged the last one but this is still not very good and I wouldn't recommend it :|

There must be better one's what are other people using :?:

349add3d.jpg

b44ad98a.jpg

a18d093a.jpg

561087b3.jpg

f391b71b.jpg

keep up the good work mate.....loving the stories and photos....brilliant gallery thread

Thanks everyone :)

Man those indicators were a real pain but another bit done (tick!) I spent today on the Bus and have turned a corner, all the welding is done... hip hop hooray!!!! and the lower half is straight to a point where I can start with the filler primer and fine paper.

I made a start on the front doors as well.......

ca5cf8c1.jpg

f7c4c259.jpg

Forgot I had a dent in my roof :(
94a87932.jpg

5de1ff94.jpg

ea795070.jpg

6e313a02.jpg

Tomorrow night I will give the lower half a shoot over with primer and carry on with the cab doors.

To do list for the week:

*Finnish cab doors
*Clear out the back and remove the interior
*Get inside ready for paint
*Sort out dent and prep roof for paint....

Might be a bit optimistic but aim high, if I get the first two done I will be happy

Cheers :)

Here are a few more pictures from Missy's travels round and about in Canada.........

85fa5d03.jpg

3550f6e2.jpg

95297222.jpg

2ca3bf2f.jpg

f899f23a.jpg

7ef212ed.jpg

5deee83a.jpg

9cb38c52.jpg

11b68532.jpg

6e26cc25.jpg

1c0c56e7.jpg

2fa9e2cd.jpg

71c53cd4.jpg

Oh!...... and this one

This here is Porcupine protection in action, if you dont do it they have a taste for rubber and will chew on you tires as well as your brake hoses :shock: could be fun when you head home back down the mountain :lol:

a719357b.jpg

:shock:
amazing stories and amazing work,nice one mate keep it up :mrgreen:
keep the travelling pics coming 8)

Love the last picture - looks like your thinking of keeping hens :D

This is me actually keeping hens :lol:

These were taken at my club show and shine about ten years ago now. I put up chicken wire and lined the back with a tarp, me and my two hens Betty and Claudette won best in show :D working with a barn find theme, I have seen pictures in volksworld a few years after this of live chickens in a bus/bug but I am sure I was the first :)

c802d1ec.jpg

112995c8.jpg

This was my first driving bus a 1967 RHD devon walk through with original paint, interior, a 1200 beetle swing axle and a cut and turned front beam :shock: the rear spring plates weren't offset they were early bay I think but just bent in to match the shorter axles.
I drove bumpy old Mindy from 1998-2004 she cost me 1800quid with a years MOT (that makes me sound old)

As a side note it was so bumpy with such little suspension travel if you hit a couple of good bumps in the road it would bang the chassis and bounce passengers out of the seat and into the walk through :lol: and another time because of the poor ride quality the cap on the brake fluid came loose bounced off. All the brake fluid shook out and me and my mates nearly had a very bad but very lucky escape/experience on the way from the Detling Vw show in Kent to Minis Vs Beetles at York Raceway (never made it got recovered :( )

Anyway moral of the story, adjustable beam, dropped spindles and a notched chassis it where its at. FACT

Latest posts