1969 Devon

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveGTU said:
Came back from the bodyshop last Friday, just need to fit out interior now. Will post more pics of resto soon.

Looks the business ... can't wait to see more pics [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your encouraging comments, it's not all plain sailing is it !!
Got my camper ten years ago from a chap that I still kep in touch with and send constant updates ! He always replies so I guess he still misses the old girl ??
I also made contact with the original owner, who got her in November 1968 ! ( although 69 model year)
He sent me a couple of pics which are included from when he toured France in 69. His wife used the van as a mobile classroom around Liverpool in the early seventies. He had the van for eighteen years then drove her to a scrap yard as it was too expensive to restore at the time. I then received a letter from the chap who bought her from the scrap yard and done a cheeky resto , he kept her for ten years then sold her on ... that's all the history I managed to get.
I bought Gerty off eBay for a buy it now of £4000.00 ten years ago ! I had no idea what I was buying, just always wanted one much to my wife's horror!!
On my way to view I brought a book about " how to buy a Vw camper " and promptly read it while driving from Southampton to Evesham!!
Waste of time really as when I got there I got on so well with the Fella , I just said I'd have it !!
Best money I've ever spent I'd say, as a family we've had so much fun in her. My kids have grown up attending Vw shows and I've made some great friends.
Had a few moments when I thought stuff this !! she's got to go , but we've carried on and saved for the resto.
Spent ages looking for the right bodyshop to do all the welding and paint , put a deposit down then got let down a few months before the start date !!
Stumbled across a local company and they really came up trumps.
Reckon I should let the pics do the rest !!

That's some great history, and a lovely looking bus. The floor rocks!

Bloody Brilliant ... How chuffed must the original owner be that it's so so original ... Well done to the pair of you !!

Awesome bus and awesome history! How on earth did you find them? I'd love to see the history of ours.

Great thread (and excellent colour choice ;) )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks I'm so pleased with how she's turned out.
I traced the history by getting in touch with the dvla , they there's a form you fill out to get all previous owners. I then sent a standard letter to each one in the hope they would still be at the same address!! Heard back from the first and second owners

Latest posts