1970 Dormobile resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice kit you have - so looking forward to seeing the build pics for all of them.... ;)

Had a couple of days to play so thought id give you an update.

Managed to get the old beam out without too much grief, i'll let the photos do the talking

I need to get some of these inches off

f62e50f3.jpg

cc0dabb7.jpg

3d7b8d77.jpg

GET OUT !!!

3e768249.jpg

out she comes

f9487e13.jpg

Time for a cuppa splosh

0f03e71a.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new

2b298244.jpg

Shame it wont get seen that much, had to jack out the end plates as they were a little too close together and wouldnt fit, sorted now though :)

4ae3933a.jpg

It dont get much closer than that, have to get thinking about shock mountings

25649d15.jpg

Also had a mad panic that my torsion leaves would not fit the new beam, they do, just need to cut them down and re drill the dimples.

Beam back out for that job then i can start fitting up the king and link spindles :D

really enjoyed looking through this thread thanks!! Im new to the forum (today) and im about to start my own resto also on a 1970 dormobile. Mine is in a very sorry state unfortunately and i have a new front chassis to fit along with a complete roof chop. My plan is to do all the work myself, although im a mechanic not a panel beater i can weld etc so sure ill manage it. well done on the work youve done so far im sure its going to look amazing :)

Rob
Welcome to Earlybay and thanks for your comments.

You have picked the right van to restore IMO, pop in to the introduce your self thread.

There is a few of us Dormy owners on here so there will be loads of advice if you need it mate

Lets see your van then !!!

Had a little tinker in the garage yesterday

Leaf springs fitted

e4f455c1.jpg

8e8c8620.jpg

Link pins not lined up properly

f77f95dc.jpg

sorted with a little twist of the king pin

24fc0fa0.jpg

Couldn't help a little trial fit of the brakes

caliper bracket

c10aa3c5.jpg

back plate

c0f84257.jpg

Disc and calliper

d1075349.jpg

Need to send the swivel arm to Slamwerks to have the drag link ball joint taper reamed out a little deeper to stop the bal joint hitting the top tube as i'm using the early bay one instead of the split one.

Then its time to get the cutting disc out to lop off all that extra leaf spring then drill out the dimples.

More parts ordered from Heritage :-
Opening quarter seals
Front hub nuts
Draglink

see ya soon

Fitted some new seals to my opening quarters today and gave them a polish up, just need some new rivets to finish the job but considering some tiny bolts instead

221fa51f.jpg

Here is my new window winders, how cool are these puppies?

bc012526.jpg

Having a nightmare shimming up my link pins as the ones that were supplied are worn and dont fit in the recess on the flipped spindles, will sort this another day......

Got pissed off poncing about with the front beam so decided to start bolting stuff on........

Back lights in, cant believe how tricky it is to get them sitting in the rubbers right....

93dcbaa1.jpg

Engine lid fitted, again, the rubbers round the hinges are a pain in the ass

0509773b.jpg

08b3fb7a.jpg

Im on a roll, first window fitted..

3c1561e0.jpg

Polished up my genuine VW jail bars and fitted the mofo's

0e366bbd.jpg

f041bb23.jpg

Also been going round replacing bolts with new shiny stainless bad boys :)

Managed to get round my mates shed to use his bench drill to re dimple the torsion leaves on the beam.

The first one took ages but worked out that if you go slow you heat up the metal and it instantly goes hard, was more brutal with the drill on the next 3 and they took all of 10 seconds each to drill.

Not much by way of photos but you can see how narrow this badboy is going to be :)

88d8fa82.jpg

Also i treated myself to a set of brand new stainless bumpers from harrington, after working how much it would cost to get mine sorted and painted i thought it was a good option, the missus took some convincing though.
Will post up some snaps when they arrive in the next few weeks.

Still having problems fitting the beam up but im sure Slamwerks will sort me when they get back to work on monday ;)

Chopped all the extra torsion leaf metal off today

e4aaa48d.jpg

4f98d278.jpg

0a3ee681.jpg

This should make the van a little lighter haha

6169aaa3.jpg

Beam pretty much ready to go in the van now, just the shock mounts and drop arm to sort out.

d76e0045.jpg

Til then.......

Oh, look what just arrived BLING BLING

a6b41fb5.jpg

af616e3b.jpg

3d0aad94.jpg

little bit ropey round the join

9d8ca069.jpg

With the rubber strip (not supplied) much better but think the bolts are a little too close to the edge. I don't care !!!

609aa03a.jpg

These came from HARRINTON and do not come pre drilled for the bumper irons so fingers crossed i don't screw it up when i drill them ;)

Next up i think i will buy that lovely looking steering wheel from fiftysisdelux !!!!

Had a go at fitting the front lights and indicators, not very happy with the end result

b7b42b80.jpg

The head lights sit a little off to one side so the gap round the inside of the rim is not even, also the tabs inside the headlight bowls are absolutely crap, the screws just turn and i didnt hardly tighten them, will have to use slightly bigger screws now.

With the rims fitted they also sit off to one side and when you tighten the screw the near side one pops off, the little tab/hook is crap.

This is a schofield panel, wish i had used my original headlight bowls now as i think they have to be welded in so would ruin the paint

So not sure what to do with them now, at least the front end looks a little more together now

Todays efforts

Fitted this mesh behind the grill to keep the bee's out

15a8b32d.jpg

Broke every single brake pipe getting this off

25dd903b.jpg

No problem as i have new ones

29fb54f1.jpg

New master cylinder, im told its the right one but the old one had some spring loaded ball valve things in them, they do not fit in the new one so i guess i will find out if the van doesnt stop..........

512b1022.jpg

Then i dragged this out the shed and bolted it on....

d512a37d.jpg

8e92440e.jpg

Had some major problems with the track rods hitting the chassis, put adjusters on their highest setting and there still wasn't much clearance, will ring slamwerks on monday as it looks like i may need to notch the front of the chassis after all :(

Doris said:
Would spire clips work on the headlight bowl tabs? I know what you mean, the repo bowls are atrocious !

Na, dont think there is enough meat on the tabs mate, was thinking of nut-serts.

I gave them a pinch with the pliers and they seem to be holding for now. The rims dont like the crappy headlight bowls though !!!

Rexer said:
New master cylinder, im told its the right one but the old one had some spring loaded ball valve things in them, they do not fit in the new one so i guess i will find out if the van doesnt stop..........

Looking good, you won't need the residual pressure valves on the MC as you've changed from drums up front. Should be fine.

tomedwar72 said:
Rexer said:

Looking good, you won't need the residual pressure valves on the MC as you've changed from drums up front. Should be fine.

Yeah thats what I thought they were, so even though I have drums on the rear will I still be good without them? The master cylinder is late bay for non servo

Rexer said:
tomedwar72 said:
Rexer said:

Yeah thats what I thought they were, so even though I have drums on the rear will I still be good without them? The master cylinder is late bay for non servo

Not sure about the rear, the 1968-69 master had a residual pressure valve on the rear as well by the looks of things:

1890322.jpg

The later disc brake bays had a brake pressure regulator (211 612 501) on the rear drum circuit which won't be on the early 68-69 circuit so, I'm a bit in the dark myself about this.

Not sure about the rear, the 1968-69 master had a residual pressure valve on the rear as well by the looks of things:

1890322.jpg

The later disc brake bays had a brake pressure regulator (211 612 501) on the rear drum circuit which won't be on the early 68-69 circuit so, I'm a bit in the dark myself about this.[/quote]

That's not quite the same as the one i took off, looks like it has 3 regulators in it, one for the back and two for the front., Machine7 recommended fitting the 73-79 master cylinder (no regulators) and they said this would work fine so time will tell, i have much bigger fish to fry at the moment so the brakes can wait until its back on its wheels.

Got rubber :)

ef5aed52.jpg

Rear - 185/65/16
Front - 165/50/15

Plan is now to take the van up to Slamwerks on a trailer so they can work their notching magic on it so watch this space for what the stance will be like when it comes home

You may even see it at the open day ;)

Latest posts