1970 tin top westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be out and about soon hopefully mate, I'll keep you posted - I think your's is going to be a real cracker when its done - your welding is top quality Dan - keep it going :)

Quick update...

The woodwork for the panels and headlining has been varnished. It took 5 coats before it stopped soaking in..

04062008003.jpg

04062008.jpg

04062008004.jpg

The flooring is on the way down...tks for your advise Carole :wink:

04062008001.jpg

The overhead lockers been made and the under seat cupboard varnished...
04062008005.jpg

04062008007.jpg

I just desperate to get it on the road now. :roll: Hopefully the interior will be complete within the next week or so, then we won't be too far away :)

gonna be blinking ace when its done, nice one 8)

Looking real nice Will , Gutted tho as i could have done the floor for you being as i am a floor layer , ho hum - see you Sunday 8)

Grazy,

:oops: What a f&*king plumb I am ! I just didn't connect the two - I would have loved you to have done it as well :(

dog.jpg

Hopefully see you Sunday (if I get back from my mates Stag weekend...)

tintin

Quick question....

I've gotta sort my head liner out and wanted to know what width wood you used and what type? Is it just ply?

What fanish did you use?

It looks the mutts!!

Quick question....

I've gotta sort my head liner out and wanted to know what width wood you used and what type? Is it just ply?

What fanish did you use?

It looks the mutts!!

Cheers mate - Its 3 ply Baltic Birch, about the closest you can get to the original. It needs to be thin enough so it can bend. Make sure the grain on the two outer ply's run front to back this will reduce the chance of them snapping under strain.

Use a clear polyurethane varnish it draws the grain out best - Don't ever touch the water based ones they are bland and SH*ite!

Not sure about the sizes - I think 3mm rings a bell, but I can get them if you need - PM me your number if you need them.

Cheers :wink:

Well it's been a while, but shes back... :D I'm stoked with the finish :D :D :D, It's not easy remaking a Westy interior out of Oak ply 'coz you can't get the same thickness wood as the original. We had to glue all the ply boards to birch ply to make up the right depth (or none of the hinges, doors, handles, bed etc.. will work :roll: )

P6260368-1.jpg

P6260371.jpg

And the interior is complete all bar the sink unit (next week), buddy cushion and snagging at the front...

P6260395.jpg

P6260375.jpg

P6260378.jpg

P6260386.jpg

P6260389.jpg

I promised I'd thank Dom for the rubber removable table leg stopper (ex Subaru)
Cheers Dom - It's mine now :wink:

P6260392.jpg

P6260399.jpg

P6260401.jpg

P6260402.jpg

P6260403.jpg

P6260407.jpg

P6260411.jpg

P6260415.jpg

P6260417.jpg

P6260418.jpg

P6260388.jpg

P6260419.jpg

Got to add Shocks, Badge, Rack, Curtains, bla bla bla... MOT, And off to BUG Jam with US plates or UK plates - depending on if the DVLA pull their finger out....

And Me, Dave & Joe are going to get well Oiled :p

i dont like using expletives, but ive just come from a Billy Connelly Gig, he said its OK to say 'fuck', and i have to say thats fucking gorgeous!!!!!
nicon_drool.gif

No doubt it wont be long till this is in the pages of Camper and Bus!!! (are you reading Ivan? :p )

it has to be said that this is a standard of bus that everyone should be aiming to achieve if going through a resto like myself. i'm sure efforts will be awarded when you come to taking out for your first new weekend :) unless its now too nice to use :?

i just hope that mine doesnt end up being too nice for me to use :?

i think thats a dilema alot of people with restos find after putting so much effort in. With a professional paint job it looks so good that you might freak if/when it gets scratched.

I guess its alot like when you get a new car: It takes a while before you forget to wash it, and then theres the feeling of dread when leaving it in a carpark..... it goes away eventually :? .

My project will hopefully look good but im not worried about a scrape here and there because if its used it will get character. I can say that now but i know itll be different.

Absolutly stunning!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see some original vw wheels, it seems like it's a unique look at the moment!

Cheers guy's,

Johnny - you are right, it'll just take a bit of time to get used to using it proper - For me it won't take long - two young children and a dog are great levelers.

Mind you, if the dog chews the woodwork I know what I'll be using for my Tiki gear knob.. :evil:

TIKI.jpg

Stunning 8) - what a fantastic job, I love all the attention to detail and using a tried and tested style with a modern twist.

On another note: When I bought my first and only new car the dealer stopped me before I left and asked where I wanted the scratch. When I smiled back he said that once I have the first scratch I will be able to enjoy the car!

Very true, and a week later when fitting a new set of mids the magnet caught the door panel and put a nice 2" long scratch in it!!!!! :oops:

will here is the link to that site..

http://www.volkswarenhaus.de

and his name is

Axel Stauber

he trades at vanfest too many nos parts

Jon

ps have u sold the daughter yet??? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts