1970 westy pop top resto has started

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its all done totally finished got the last bits done today
Got the roof rack bars and hold down clips on took ages as i should have fitted them before i fitted the rack.Had to make a special spanner :roll:
035.jpg

Fully restored stool
058.jpg

My favorite part of the whole resto Dont see many of these
064-1.jpg

A few pics of the van over the last few months done loads of miles and slept in it alot being used as a proper camper
Rendalsham forest near woodbridge suffolk
summer2009001.jpg

Great yarmouth with family
summer2009017.jpg

Nice campsite in ashford before peppercorn
summer2009022.jpg

At peppercorn
summer2009040.jpg

Waxham sands in north norfolk for our club camp
summer2009060.jpg

Helmingham hall classic car show with my 1963 beetle
summer2009064.jpg

Very nice campsite in shotisham in suffolk
summer2009098.jpg

Early morning at a hot rod show with my 1966 variant
summer2009129.jpg

A couple of pics from this weekend .Vanfest was great lovely weather and loads to see stayed of site as normal turns out other people had the same idea.Carnt wait till next year
vanfest2009002.jpg

vanfest2009001.jpg

vanfest2009007.jpg

Van ran great nearly all over for another summer :(

[/quote]My favorite part of the whole resto Dont see many of these
064-1.jpg
[/quote]

What kind of handle is that? Mine looks different. Very nice bus by the way. Your detailing is top notch!

The handle is a item that westfalia fit as opening the sliding door from the inside is difficult as the sink unit gets in the way.So they made these handles to overcome the problem.They are easy to damage so not many westys still have them
Cheers for the nice comments

Hi.

I can't believe I missed this one, it is such a good resto thread, so right! (a bit high for me but then I'm a bit shorter than you in real life :mrgreen: )

Grazy's bus is in safe hands ;)

Honestly, when I first seen this thread, I thought you had too much money to waste, as all it needed was a polish.

Then I seen the results, and I gotta say, you now have a 'cherry' VW! You just raised the bar!

Congratulations. I also love how you kept it stock looking whilst updating it to more modern accouterments. I'm also glad you didn't join the ever popular 'slam to the ground' brigade.

I used one of your pics as a wallpaper for my computer in a bid of inspiration for my project! Quick question. Did Westys come with the chrome around the front grill or was that an adaptation from a Deluxe bus?

Having seen the van in the flesh I have to say it truely is awesome and gives you an insite into what a brand new van would have been like. Simply stunning!

Great to catch up with this thread again Chris. Total result is stunning. Westy handle looks good (recently got one from westy Frank myself to fit) and as you said, all the wood panels in place even the small piece by the sliding door which I remember you saying is often missed.

Hope to see in the flesh somewhere during 2010
David

Thanks alot for the kind words means alot after the struggle of the resto
Front grill trim is from a delux added it so it stood out from the croud
Cheers