1970 westy pop top resto has started

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there.congrats on your incredible resto...
i would like to now more details on your braking system. what have you used that is stock and off stock. im thinking of putting brake disc on mine, but still use the original wheels.
thanks

Hi
The braking system is made up from a 14 inch csp front disc kit so i can still use the original wheels and a 1971 master cylinder as this year came with discs but no servo .Have been told my original drum brake master clinder would have worked but i was replacing it any way .As for the rear its just all new stock stuff and new copper brake lines and good quality flexi hose .The brakes are very good now (not as good as my 1976 panelvan as it had a servo) but well worth the upgrade.
Cheers

Got a better steering box for the van as mine is a little worn so i cleaned it and now its ready for fitting
006-15.jpg

Still tinkering :lol:

Well that killed an hour! 8)

Great thread inspirational fella! Wish i had the time/skill/imagination to carry out a quality resto,

Just

Scored 4 nos hub caps today to replace the less than perfect ones on the van.They are mint just dusty and covered in storage grease.
003-18.jpg

Just need a good clean and maybe i will detail with a black vw logo

all i can say is wow! top notch job, just read all 9 pages, your hard work, and dedication to the project really shows, and you've got a sweet looking 63 bug, and a 66 t3........... living the dream. good work mate.

love it mate. i love my slammed buses but yours looks just so right. clean as a whiste. its only gunne get better as you go on and find the bits yuo want for it or better versions of the bits you already have. your awning looks like new.

great to see you using it and continuing with the improvements

Hi
Had a couple of show and shine wins over the last few weeks and am well pleased.Its been nice to talk to people about the van.I won best stock at elemental and on sunday won best bay window at big bang which was a suprise as there was alot of very nice bays there
A borrowed a pic of sunday
IMG_8903bb10dj.jpg

Cheers guys