5 speed box ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife7

Reaction score
Hi obvious question for some but can I get a 5 speed box for my early bay crossover that will fit without a saga and without it being a dog leg box ? Thanks

Berg 5 speed but you won’t get any change out of 4.5k. If you have a stock engine then you only need a stock box, if you’ve got a bigger engine and want better cruising speed but don’t drag race it then a freeway flyer Is perfect.

What's wrong with a dogleg box?

Plenty of cars have them, and when you're on the move it makes sense, as you only go into first when you're stopped. It doesn't take much to get used to it.

I fitted a Porsche 901 5-speed gearbox to my bus several years ago and it works great - including taking it around Spain. Has been fine with both my 1600 and 1955cc engines.

K@rlos said:
Why do you want a 5 speed box?

It's a world better than a 4 speed. You just are always more likely to have a more suitable gear for the speed you're doing. Especially useful if you only have modest horsepower - my 1955cc is only around 100bhp.

The 901 gearbox I have has a taller first, second and third gears so they all follow on nicely from each other rather than having big gaps. 4th gear is roughly the same as a 3-rib gearbox, and then 5th drops the cruising rpm significantly :)

Tofufi said:

Plenty of cars have them, and when you're on the move it makes sense, as you only go into first when you're stopped. It doesn't take much to get used to it.

I fitted a Porsche 901 5-speed gearbox to my bus several years ago and it works great - including taking it around Spain. Has been fine with both my 1600 and 1955cc engines.

Whats involved in this conversion? The box looks visually similar to our VW boxes, does it just bolt on?

nobayinhell said:
Tofufi said:

Whats involved in this conversion? The box looks visually similar to our VW boxes, does it just bolt on?

I posted a how to guide here: https://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=60286

:)

Happy to help if you've any questions! It's not too bad, the fabrication is fairly straightforward so long as you have a welder for the shift linkage, and basic tools to make the gearbox brackets.

Tofufi said:

And yes, the gearbox-engine mounting uses the same 4 bolt pattern. You need to exchange the lower studs on the engine for longer ones, as the Porsche bellhousing is deeper where they go through.

Tofufi said:
K@rlos said:

It's a world better than a 4 speed. You just are always more likely to have a more suitable gear for the speed you're doing. Especially useful if you only have modest horsepower - my 1955cc is only around 100bhp.

The 901 gearbox I have has a taller first, second and third gears so they all follow on nicely from each other rather than having big gaps. 4th gear is roughly the same as a 3-rib gearbox, and then 5th drops the cruising rpm significantly :)

I’m well aware of all that... I was asking the OP to see what engine he has etc. It’s a waste of time and money putting a tall box with a gutless engine which won’t pull the longer gears, gear ratios should always be matched to the engine power band. I have a built 091 box coupled to my 2110 IDA motor, the ratios were matched to my engine, still only a 4 speed and I never not got a suitable gear.

K@rlos said:
Tofufi said:
K@rlos said:

I’m well aware of all that... I was asking the OP to see what engine he has etc. It’s a waste of time and money putting a tall box with a gutless engine which won’t pull the longer gears, gear ratios should always be matched to the engine power band. I have a built 091 box coupled to my 2110 IDA motor, the ratios were matched to my engine, still only a 4 speed and I never not got a suitable gear.

Actually the 5-speed box worked well with my twin carb 1600. As 4th gear is the same as a standard bus, it had the advantage you could drop down to 4th on motorway hills and maintain 55-60mph as you would do normally.

The only issue with the 1600 and 5 speed box is first gear is a bit tall, but I found that ok even living in hilly Bristol.

It's not a case that the 4 speed doesn't have a suitable gear, but the 5 speed gives you more choice. I'd bet your bus would be faster over a hilly mountain road with a 5 speed. :)

Tofufi said:
K@rlos said:
Tofufi said:

Actually the 5-speed box worked well with my twin carb 1600. As 4th gear is the same as a standard bus, it had the advantage you could drop down to 4th on motorway hills and maintain 55-60mph as you would do normally.

The only issue with the 1600 and 5 speed box is first gear is a bit tall, but I found that ok even living in hilly Bristol.

It's not a case that the 4 speed doesn't have a suitable gear, but the 5 speed gives you more choice. I'd bet your bus would be faster over a hilly mountain road with a 5 speed. :)

If I was rich I’d have a berg 5 speed but I’m not paying 4.5k for an extra gear. Box i have is spot on, full weddle internals, super diff and a longer 3rd & 4th. Leaves the lights like shot out of a gun and cruises at 75mph at 3400Rpm. Perfect for me

Latest posts