Group buy- Delrin bush for shift rod

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve fitted mine now. I took to the end of the rod with a flap wheel on a grinder and using trial and error measurement I took it back until the bush fitted. I can’t see any issue with this as it isn’t changing anything important and won’t weaken it significantly.

They don’t just ‘fit’ an og part though.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The crisp looking shiftrod shown in Washburns image looks much more like the WW one in Mikes pictures, than his previous worn part. Referring to the look of the two raised ribs at the top edge of the slot.
So I think Washburns must have inadvertently made their bushes to suit a WW or other repro shiftrod. The WW item having a shorter internal bore than others.

This is good news. Taking a look at mine tomorrow 🌈👍

I’ve fitted mine now. I took to the end of the rod with a flap wheel on a grinder and using trial and error measurement I took it back until the bush fitted. I can’t see any issue with this as it isn’t changing anything important and won’t weaken it significantly.

They don’t just ‘fit’ an og part though.
Well done Mike !

Think I’ll evaluate what to do to make it fit once the front rod is sat in a vice in my workshop 👍
Maybe rather than machine off the front end of the OG rod thus shortening it & its fit onto the locating pin, I am thinking if I can use a dremel & grind away the rear / inner face of the bore, by trying to pull the grinding cylinder out of the rod, and using circular motions. It’ll take a bit to remove 2-3mm but I’ll be happier if I can do that.

Either that or ask our work toolmaker to make me a replica bush 3mm longer.

Well done Mike !
Thanks to you again Mike. I thought I’d caused too much fuss initially so I’m glad there are now straightforward solutions to fitting it.

There’s a part of me that should be vexed at the hassle to fit a £40+ stupid part, but life’s too short :D

Thanks to you again Mike. I thought I’d caused too much fuss initially so I’m glad there are now straightforward solutions to fitting it.

There’s a part of me that should be vexed at the hassle to fit a £40+ stupid part, but life’s too short :D
I thought that maybe there would be possibly one or two parts going on the deluxe build that I don't have to modify, but no.
Such is life.

Latest email from bush suppliers

Hi Steve,

I have spoken to Brian a few times since your email and confirmed that the parts were made for the stock original shift rod. I have one in my own bus, I installed myself on the original shift rod and while tight, it does fit and snap in. I have a local customer with a 70 bus that installed one this weekend without issue as well. Brian has asked that you email him directly at his email so he can ask you for photos etc to see the issue you are running into. I have added him to this email as well. His email is: [email protected].

Once you two speak we can go from there.

Jason Reich
Aircooled Vintage Works

Don’t know why it’s got Sparkywig on it .. sorry
I will email manufacturers again tomorrow.

Copy of email sent to Washburn Metals (Bush Manufacturers)…

Hi Brian - I believe Jason Reich has already contacted you regarding our VW forum ordering 20 of the Delrin Shift Rod Bushes you manufacture.

Unfortunately we are struggling to get them to fit. They appear to be too short. If fitted they do not clear the internal 'step' and will not fully open up to allow the 10mm pin to slide inside (it binds about half way along)

We are all on original VW parts and would appreciate any help or advice as to what we can do to get them to fit.

Hope the pictures attached help show the problem.

IMG_5480 (2).jpg Shift rod internal measures 12.5mm

IMG_5516 (1).jpgDelrin bush (Washburn) measures 9mm

IMG_5515.jpgNylon bush (alternative supplier) measures 12.5mm

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are all looking forward to getting these fitted and enjoying the advantages they will bring.

I look forward to your response.

regards

Steve (Early Bay Forum)

Steve, can I just check one of these measurements with you? The first one of the shift rod section with the yellow marking. W1K1 measured it as 0.410 inch. That equates to 10.4mm. That would also agree with my own estimate of around 10mm.

Steve, can I just check one of these measurements with you? The first one of the shift rod section with the yellow marking. W1K1 measured it as 0.410 inch. That equates to 10.4mm. That would also agree with my own estimate of around 10mm.
Yep so i’ve tried to measure mine and came out at 10-11mm.
What I did was blow up picture until his vernier in picture measured 20mm across his 10mm then measured the shift rod and divided in half. Did it 3 times.
🌈👍

Yep so i’ve tried to measure mine and came out at 10-11mm.
What I did was blow up picture until his vernier in picture measured 20mm across his 10mm then measured the shift rod and divided in half. Did it 3 times.
🌈👍
With my vernier.

It seems odd that Jason hasn’t had any feedback about the bushes not fitting. It will be interesting to hear what the manufacturers say in reply to your email. There is only a mm or two difference between the OG shift rod and the Wolfsburg west one, and I wonder if there are other shift rods made which have a shorter fitting for the bush.
Has anyone else managed to fit the delrin bush yet?

my OE shift rod definitely measured the 10 mm or .410" so if they are only 9mm , then they are made Wrong.
You could put a 10 mm rod through the bushing in a drill, spin it and trim that notched edge of the bushing back a MM or so with a file.
BUT you shouldn't have to modify a tiny bushing that cost that much! If I ordered one ( I was considering it) it would cost me $155 Canadian for that little thing, and to not have it fit, never mind 20 of them not fitting would be a real piss off.
They should be crediting back at least 25% of the cost if you have to modify it to fit on the stock bus rod. The fact that some of them fit, could be that those had aftermarket shift rods, or manufacturing differences over the years. the OEM bushing being 12.5mm in that space would be that way for a reason.

7938-b12a83ea4269c90048ee949460897f68.data

Great news guys and gals. Jason at Aircooledvw has agreed to refund the cost of the bushes and the postage. He agreed that they may not fit ALL push rods due to variation in the castings. He does not want them returning.
I will post the full email he has just sent me. Please if you can take the time to read it as I think his effort, explanation and solution offered is admirable.
Steve 🌈👍

Hi Steve,

I wanted to reach back out and give you some info on the bushings that I have found in the last few days. As I said before, I have one on my own 69 bay which I installed when the parts first came out a few months back. As I said, I was able to get the bushing to lock in, although it was a tight fit. I had to use some channel locks to lock it into position. I also have a local customer with a 70 Bay who installed his without much trouble and it's working well. Yesterday I spoke with another customer of mine from out of state who ran into the issue you are talking about and the bushing came up short. He remedied the issue by smoothing the casting of the shift rod where the bushing locks in, and then the bushing locked in just fine.

Following that conversation I rounded up a few original shift rods I have here and noticed that there are variances in the crown where the busing sits. Some were smooth and I was able to get the bushing into place and others were more rough castings and it would not snap in. On those a quick pass with a smoothing disc on a grinder would give it enough room to snap in. The bummer is that as we all know, the original bushings are junk, the aftermarket ones like the one you sent which I believe is from Custom and Commercial is also not great, and the same is true for the Wolfsburg West one we have here in the states. They just fit sloppy and I believe they were made "longer" to accommodate the variances in the original shift rods. A sort of 1 size fits all approach. I know not everyone is happy to have to modify the stock shift rods to run this delrin Bushing but I can tell you, from my experience it is worth it. Again, I did not have to modify my shift rod to run it but as the fix is a simple one, I would definitely do it to run the bushing on my own bus in a heartbeat. You really can't beat the improvement in feel and directness of the shifter it provides.

That being said, I have decided that in this case the best course of action is to issue a refund to Mike Gardner who was the original purchaser of the bushings. I can only refund what was spent which was 684 Pounds for parts and shipping. I am not able to refund any additional funds for taxes etc, sorry. You guys can keep the bushings and install them if you like by smoothing the shift rod crown, ( I have included a photo of one that has had this done and bushing installed for reference) No need to send me back anything, we can chalk this up to a learning experience all around. I'm not sure if you have heard from Brian Washnburn yet or not but from the research I have done myself over the last few days I believe this is the best way forward. I will credit Mike this afternoon and you guys can disburse the funds out from there.

Thanks,

Jason Reich
Aircooled Vintage Works

Latest posts