70 deluxe from cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) thanks!

It's pretty easy actually. On the front, cut, turn & weld the tubes on the beam. I know that white westy had some raised spindles made, much easier but maybe less tough for what i did with that bus :) back is 1 spline up but i guess you could fit boomerangs the other way around. Could kill the CV joints rapidly though..

The problem comes from the tyres. I had 235/75/15 with a very agressive pattern and these are pretty big. So i had to clear the front and back of the front dogleg and also cut the back wheelarch, jersey looker! ;)

It is a pretty rotten bus so i was just cutting into already missing steel but i think there would be no cutting with tyre a bit smaller, like 215/75/15 in all-terrain pattern...

I've had lots of fun with that bus! If i ever get a camper again, i'd look for an orange late westy, raise it and go travel all around the back country...

So, some work on the rear disc brakes

Post 72 have a shorter stub than pre 72, but I wanted an even shorter one to be able to fit my wheel without a spacer.

So the original on the left and the shorter on the right. Shortened by 11mm..

539346.jpg

So the CE rotor had to be modified a lot. First it was shortened to match the shorter stub, then we reduced the diameter to fit in the 944 disc. Finally a hole in the rotor to be able to tune the parking brake shoes..

539347.jpg

539348.jpg

Oldspeed bracket and parking brakes shoes "installed"

539349.jpg

With the CE rotor on.

539352.jpg

Closer look at the Oldspeed bracket, it's really a great piece of kit!

539353.jpg

All together with adj spring plate in the back..

539354.jpg

Since it's going forward, I've had tyres mounted on my sporty german wheels

539351.jpg

Final choice are the gasburners for now, with 175/55/15 for the front and 185/65/15 for the back.

And yes, I can fit the wheel straight on the brake and the hubcap fits!

539350.jpg

Little test on the bus to see how the wheels look..

539356.jpg

I think it's going to be nice! can't wait to put it on the ground :)

And because the 185/65/15 are smaller than original tyres, i scored a 091 CP gearbox that i'll fit at some point..

539355.jpg

Still waiting on my front hubs that are blocked at the belgian Customs :evil: then i'll need to have them modified to fit the bay grease seal and then i can fit them on the bus!

thats really rather clever stuff there :D

how did you shorten the stub? cut and weld?

Thanks! No welds on the stubs, the excess was cut, the threads were made on a lathe, and then a small hole for the security pin. Sounds easy right :D Thing is the steel of the stub is tempered, so it had to be de-tempered (if that makes any sence in english), modified and then re-tempered...

Do you have any photos of the front brake setup? I'm just about to put 944 brakes on the front, and would love to see some pictures!
Cheers.

leon said:
Do you have any photos of the front brake setup? I'm just about to put 944 brakes on the front, and would love to see some pictures!
Cheers.
The 1971 model has diskbrakes from the factory. They are only different from the late bays. I put on a set from JustKampers. With adoptors to fit late bay calipers to early bay disks. Some photo's:

rem1.jpg

Remschijf.jpg

rem7.jpg

Hope to be of some help!

well mine's a 70 so drum on front ;)

I'm still waiting on the right wheel hubs for the front discs, they are blocked at customs, great :roll:

Anyway, as soon as I get them and everything is fitted, i'll post pics...

Any photos of the front brake install? Looking really nice :mrgreen:

Thanks dude! I'll take a pic for you next time wheel is off, but it's just a regular early 944 setup with the disc bolted to the back of the hub...

There you go for the front brakes pic..

Also pictures of the final stance, had to raise the front for about an inch, I had no suspension travel and that's not cool..

547549.jpg

547550.jpg

547551.jpg

Hi Roland,

your bus rocks.
But why raise it? Your are running dropped spindles and an adjustable beam, you should be able to go really low. Maybe your shocks are just way to long.
Love to see it in the flesh, but we'll have a bus-chat on EBI. C u there.

Thanks Guys!

Wim, no dropped spindles at the moment on my bus...

I was thinking about those:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=679110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, it all looks very clean behind them wheels. 8)
Now got everything i need to install my brakes, will be a busy bee next weekend.

Latest posts