71 Dormobile Spruce Up........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stunning van dude, nice shots too, glad you got the garage sorted those doors are as nice as the van!, sorry i didnt see your post otherwise i would of taken some pics for you.

would be good to see your fuel filter mounting btw as i'm not entirely happy with mine.

Al

Tiki-Al said:
stunning van dude, nice shots too, glad you got the garage sorted those doors are as nice as the van!, sorry i didnt see your post otherwise i would of taken some pics for you.

would be good to see your fuel filter mounting btw as i'm not entirely happy with mine.

Al

Cheers fella bob the fuel filter in above the gearbox and out of the engine bay thats where my new fuel lines going, also get rid of the rubber fuel line and fit metal less likely to split etc!

hey mate,
just wondering whether you will be around at all this weekend? i'm going to be back home and was thinking that if you werent too busy then I could pop over and check out all the hard work you have done on your bus sice the last time i saw it. Also, Loxy may pop up as well.

i really need to start thinking about who and where to get my bus sprayed.

NaFe

Haveacamper said:
hey mate,
just wondering whether you will be around at all this weekend? i'm going to be back home and was thinking that if you werent too busy then I could pop over and check out all the hard work you have done on your bus sice the last time i saw it. Also, Loxy may pop up as well.

i really need to start thinking about who and where to get my bus sprayed.

NaFe

Up in Oxford Saturday then will be around Aber on Sun or Mon going to the Steam Fair to get hold of some tools and look over the classic cars could meet down the show for a beer and catch up.

Ordered my seat covers last week after alot of deilberation have gone for RED & WHITE and have commisioned J&S to make them. Have bought the covers and will fit em myself having covered beetles with TMI covers feel I could do these justice. The qualtiy looks far superior to TMI from what I've seen on the web page and from talking it through etc. hope I can fit em as good as J&S......

this van is really nice.well done mate.i dont think you can beat how a dormobile roof sits on an earlybay! :) i need some new canvas...where do you get it from?

71dormy said:
this van is really nice.well done mate.i dont think you can beat how a dormobile roof sits on an earlybay! :) i need some new canvas...where do you get it from?

Thanks 71dormy, you can get all the parts from Dormobile as advertised in VW mags... Check current how to keep your bus allive it shows Dormobile fitting my pop top canvass in a step by step guide.
They do all the parts for refurbing, you can buy them and do it yourself or have them fit it etc..

Did a bit of work over the weekend and started putting the heat exchangers and back box on the bus.... Most has gone well execept for the connectors that link the back box to the heat exchngers with the wire gasket type thingy. These are an absolute bitch to fit am I missing something!!!! Lost light now will give it another go later in the week when I've got a cool head but any tips between now and then would be gratefully received.

71Dormobile said:
Did a bit of work over the weekend and started putting the heat exchangers and back box on the bus.... Most has gone well execept for the connectors that link the back box to the heat exchngers with the wire gasket type thingy. These are an absolute bitch to fit am I missing something!!!! Lost light now will give it another go later in the week when I've got a cool head but any tips between now and then would be gratefully received.

Got the bloody thing on and it's damaged so will now add a new exhaust on to the list of bits n bobs to get the van on the road for the summer, time is a little tight now as no.3 kid is due today!! Want to get the van running so we can use it this summer for at least a couple of weekends away but ££ may dictate as want the van right after all the time effort etc.

Got me seat covers back yesterday from J&S they have done a very good job fabric is real thick and alot better quality than the TMI effort I had prev. fitted to my 66 beetle. Will prep the seats and fit these over the coming weeks.

Oh have been tidying the wiring up as well borrowed a crimping tool which makes life easier and also stripped out a load of old wiring from the leisure battery. Decided to strip it back as much as poss and then refit a new system as and when required, freshens it up!

Still looking at alloys and lowering options as well a little down the road as initially at least I can run her stock. Fancy W 5 rather than narrow 5 alloys always think they look better on an early bay. Don't fancy flaring or messing with the arches though sop what ever I get will need to go straight on with adapters and no messing, anyone done this then let me know... Fancy SA's or Flat 4 BRMs at the mo....

Been sorting wiring in the engine bay more recenlty tidying and refreshing...

IMG_4960.jpg

Purchased some vohringer ply by the sheet and have been trying my hand at woodwork!
Here are the fruits of my labours thus far fairly happy with the first attempt but still a way to go.

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

Very impressive bit of woodworking dude 8)

Looking forward to see it in the van ;)

Was supposed to rain today / this w/e anyway pushed her out to crack on with various bits and bobs including the J&S covers :mrgreen:

Also gotta fit some insulation behind where the dormy cupboard goes, have kept the cupboards idenitical to the orig set up but the cooker / innerds will be diff as said b4 will get some smev stuff eventually all this I fear is gonna take me months.....

IMG_5180.jpg

Me and the little fella can't wait to get back behind the wheel

IMG_5177.jpg

Getting stuck in to finnishing the van more recently refiiting the seats etc busy times want to use it for the summer, which is rapidly going....

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

Cracked on and MOT Friday may be OK but otherwise hopfully minor stuff to get it on the Road in time for VF 09.....

Well theres nowt much more I can do now other than cross my fingers, MOT booked at 8:30am tomorrow!

May as well throw up a few progress pictures of the more recent effort fitting seats, headliner (!!!), insulating and hopefully to an extent sound deadening getting the lumps of furniture which i've made out of the vohringer inside the van.

Quite chuffed and can see the finnish line....

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

Failed :cry:

Need to sort a sticking brake cylinder tommorow and some minor wiring troubles on the rear nearside think it's an earthing problem so all in all could of been worse. Still hopefull of making it to Vanfest.

Interior looks very smart inded - well done sir.

Sorry for the MOT failure mate, but sounds like it should be easy enough to sort out ;)

Cheers good to get some feedback, I will take more pics soon for now here's one of the squeeze into the garage and also one showing the new wheel cylinder. Cylinder isthe older 1968 - 1971 type so I'm wondering if I can modify and change back to wide 5 anyone advise please?

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

Oh fret not the WD40 was used to free a nut not clean the shoes etc

Passed MOT in time for van fest :mrgreen: chuffed to bits as she has been off the road for the best part of 2.5 yrs!!! Yikes

OK there is still work to do door card trimming, parts of the roof lining new wheels slight lowering but s*d it I'm gonna get her to the show and enjoy a Friday and Saturday night with the wife, kids and mates weather looks like being good, few new parts lined up can't wait :mrgreen:

IMG_5608.jpg

Made up for you - good result and enjoy yourself :mrgreen:

Only 2.5 years - such a light weight.................... (been over 4years for mine but the light in the tunnel is getting brighter - I hope :( )

Latest posts