71 Dormobile Spruce Up........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71Dormobile said:
Passed MOT in time for van fest :mrgreen: chuffed to bits as she has been off the road for the best part of 2.5 yrs!!! Yikes

OK there is still work to do door card trimming, parts of the roof lining new wheels slight lowering but s*d it I'm gonna get her to the show and enjoy a Friday and Saturday night with the wife, kids and mates weather looks like being good, few new parts lined up can't wait :mrgreen:

That is amazing, congrats!!!

What a beautiful Van!
I will definitely follow this thread, while I've just started to restore a 1969 Dormobile myself....

Where did you get the seat covering?

Kind Regards,

Thomas

71Dormobile said:
Passed MOT in time for van fest :mrgreen: chuffed to bits as she has been off the road for the best part of 2.5 yrs!!! Yikes

OK there is still work to do door card trimming, parts of the roof lining new wheels slight lowering but s*d it I'm gonna get her to the show and enjoy a Friday and Saturday night with the wife, kids and mates weather looks like being good, few new parts lined up can't wait :mrgreen:

Good to hear! Have a good Vanfest!! :mrgreen:

Cheers for your comments all, really chuffed, made it up to van fest, was still tinkering on the friday afternoon to get the interior functional, bed working etc. Ran up there like a dream had a cracking time and spent out loads of wonga on various bits and bobs which I'm gonna be fitting over the coming weeks...

Biggest purchase was some alloys from SSP thanks to my wife for buying these :mrgreen: was unsure whether top opt for these or a cheaper effort, was steered this way and am relieved that I was following a read around on Sunday evening.

Also got a bluebird rear exhaust tail pipe, some orig windscreen wiper arms to do up as the repro ones are rubbish, some ambulance fans (thanks to Juan) a sliding door handle thats about it.....

Need to get some pictures up of recnet works etc. putting interior in redoing bunk frames etc. but here are a couple of images for now of our van up at the show

IMG_5722.jpg

Gutteed that the rear bumper wouldn't go on the holes are in the wrong place, apparetly a crossover bumper :oops: so will need to redrill, weld up and respray the bumper its a one rear o

The wheels arrived today.........

IMG_5782.jpg

Hopefully get the tyres this week although v confused about sizes ratings whetehr I need commercial for insurance purposes etc. so some reading up to be done...Thinking of 185 65 15 all around for now although may go 175 at the front hopefully these will go on with no clearance issues etc. Thereafter it's fitting out the remainder of the interior, trimming door cards etc then on to lowering..

TJMElsenRusty said:
71Dormobile said:

That is amazing, congrats!!!

What a beautiful Van!
I will definitely follow this thread, while I've just started to restore a 1969 Dormobile myself....

Where did you get the seat covering?

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Cheers seat covers were supplied by J&S and fitted by muggings search on ere, very well made.....

Still no closer to fitting the wheels spent the bread on getting some decent lights for the mountain bike!!!!

Hopefully get some tyres within the next couple of months and work out a lowering plan for next year.
Few small jobs to sort through the winter finnishing off the interior sorting out some door cards, for now though got her tucked up in a nice dry garage only to see daylight on a dry sunny day :D

71Dormobile said:
Still no closer to fitting the wheels spent the bread on getting some decent lights for the mountain bike!!!!

Hopefully get some tyres within the next couple of months and work out a lowering plan for next year.
Few small jobs to sort through the winter finnishing off the interior sorting out some door cards, for now though got her tucked up in a nice dry garage only to see daylight on a dry sunny day :D

Bump, kick up the arse required got to crack on and do the door cards at least...

Finally got the new rubbers and alloys sorted, went with Heritage Porsche Fuchs, ventured out down to the garage and it rained, still gave her a wash and now gonna start thinking of which option to take in lowering......

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

Cheers both seems a bit quiet on ere at the mo, I've not done a lot on mine for most of the winter but am gonna get inspired and crack on with her now, plan some trips for the summer etc.

Struck me from looking back over the forum that I hadn't posted any pics of the interior in so ere are a few, I started building the dormy wardobe also but haven't finished it as yet, toying up the idea of fitting another seat in ?! Anyone done or seen owt that would be robust enough for strapping another person to etc.

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6931.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

IMG_6933.jpg

Very nice interior 8)
How long did it take to make and what wood (marine ply?) did you use - looks like it belongs :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Very nice interior 8)
How long did it take to make and what wood (marine ply?) did you use - looks like it belongs :mrgreen:

Cheers quite pleased with the results, I bought a sheet of Vohringer ply and a router and set to work using the old cupboards as a guide to build the new. Wanted to keep it Dormobile but have it fresh looking, was going to commission someone but ££££ ruled so had a bash myself. Plan in the longer term will be to get some SMEV units cooker / sink combo or separate units. Also building the wardrobe unit although may need another seat so looking at options.

The units and all the other under seat bits and rear panels took a good few days although I'm a complete novice to wood working last time I had a go at something remotely similar was DCT back at school :lol:

Look professional though ;)

What depth of ply did you use - is it about 18mm?

Another question I'm afraid, how come you are not using the original Dormobile sink and cooker as it would finish of the units nicely :?:

Cheers :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Look professional though ;)

What depth of ply did you use - is it about 18mm?

Another question I'm afraid, how come you are not using the original Dormobile sink and cooker as it would finish of the units nicely :?:

Cheers :mrgreen:

Vohringer stuff is about 16mm, it's as close as you can get to the original stuff used and is use in all modern motorhomes etc.
May well try the sink and also refit the cooker behind the front seat, last time I used the cooker it was kicking back a few flames :shock: so probably would need a rebuild if I was to hook it up again.

Quite like the idea of some SMEV kit, you got me thinking though....

Little progress to date, gotta crack on and buy some vinyl and sort out the door cards...
Also part way through having a crack at fitting a new shower room ripping out is the easy bit!! Works having a conflict of interest with camper progress!!

Progress, we took her out for the first proper spin of the year....

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

IMG_7555.jpg

Hopefully get some dropped spindles soonish....

gninnam said:
Love the stance as is :D

How did she drive then ;)

Cheers, it's OK think it looks a bit odd on the front with the alloys now on so gonna go lower and drop the back just a tad...

Think I'll try dropped spindles as hopefully will mean I don't need to do anything else just yet.

Ride is nice at the mo though :D

Latest posts