71 Dormobile Spruce Up........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toastiemaker said:
great bus.
Got to say the interior is super nice. Excellent job.

Thanks for the positives, much appreciated, going to get the material for the door cards this week, been putting it off a while as not sure on red or off white or a two tone like the front seats, time will tell.

Also wondering still whether to finnish the wardrobe or try and make a sturdy rear facing seat that'll fit behind the passenger seat for one of the kids to travel on. never seen anything in this postion before though , anyone else??

Hi loving your van - a quality job and insperaton.
Can you tell me on your interior - where did you get the trim for doing all your edging?
Doing up a Dormy myself at the mo, my interior is ok but all the trims are discoloured or broken.
Do you know if what you have used would fit the original units

Cheers Matt

rotten bus said:
Can you tell me on your interior - where did you get the trim for doing all your edging?
Doing up a Dormy myself at the mo, my interior is ok but all the trims are discoloured or broken.

Cheers Matt

You can get the trim from ...

http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I found a local chap who makes his own interiors and fits out Mazda Bongos. He was a great source of info and parts and basically talked me through doing the job as I'd never attempted anything like it before. I bought the vohringer ply and trim and then set about making the units you see....

The trim unfortunately only came in greys or a brown I think, didn't notice a white. Also if you pull out the old it may prove tricky fitting new and you will pull some of the old ply out so the fit of the new strip will not be as snug.

If your looking to freshen up the old try using a little bit of wire wool and elbow grease, some white spirit may help but go easy and test a small area first, hopethis helps and goodluck...

I'm in the exact same situation - looking for replacement trim for my '72 Dormobile.
Leela

I've just e-malled Rainbow and also looked at the Vohringer trim through 'Grassroutes' site but is the trim flexible enough to wrap around the drawer and door corners ok? (suppose it could be warmed up before fitting).
Your help appreciated!
Cheers & Happy Dubbin'
Gary

71Dormobile said:
rotten bus said:

Cheers Matt

You can get the trim from ...

http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I found a local chap who makes his own interiors and fits out Mazda Bongos. He was a great source of info and parts and basically talked me through doing the job as I'd never attempted anything like it before. I bought the vohringer ply and trim and then set about making the units you see....

The trim unfortunately only came in greys or a brown I think, didn't notice a white. Also if you pull out the old it may prove tricky fitting new and you will pull some of the old ply out so the fit of the new strip will not be as snug.

If your looking to freshen up the old try using a little bit of wire wool and elbow grease, some white spirit may help but go easy and test a small area first, hopethis helps and goodluck...

Sure as you say heat it up etc. and it wraps around most corners, have just finnished making the wardrobe now, fairly happy with the results. Some areas with tighter curves your shave the back of the trim remove the T section to get around if you see what I mean.. Will post soem pics when finished.

Good luck with your interior, rainbow are a very good source of parts.

Thanks 71Dorm, have already been on their 'sites and as long as their trim sits and fits well (as it is metric width not yer 'old' Imperial as Dormie ply is).
I reckon I'll be contacting Rainbow...
Cheers & Happy Dubbin'

Good luck with the trim it's all the same stuff these days where ever you get it.

Been busy making the wardrobe, haven't a decent pic at the mo but will post one soon... Had a good couple of weeks in Cornwall we saw 20 vans one day! Got to get out and use PBP a bit more this year before the nights draw in...

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8022.jpg

Just found these pics from the day I bought it (2005 I think?)....

DSC02539.JPG

DSC02544.JPG

DSC02574.JPG

DSC02538.JPG

...really glad it ended up with somebody who could do it justice. :D

Enjoyed flicking through your thread, looks good mate you should be proud of it! Got to try and get my dorm to that level now!

Any tips you can offer from when you did the inner lower front panel?? going to do mine soon as it's a dodgy home made one :roll:

Rich Oakley said:
Just found these pics from the day I bought it (2005 I think?)....

DSC02539.JPG

DSC02544.JPG

DSC02574.JPG

DSC02538.JPG

...really glad it ended up with somebody who could do it justice. :D

Cheers for the positives and posting those pic's up Rich, it's been a long process, deliberated for a long time on original colour or to go with Chianti etc. Went for a bit of colour and I'm not regretting it.. The interior was looking a little tired especially the trim on the panels so opted to make new, have kept the old just in case I ever get the urge next time around to send it back to stock!!!

Still got the roof rack not sure if that's a Dormobile one? Will have to get that sorted next....

Haveacamper said:
i remember when you were thinking of selling this mike and i came to see it with Loxy. boy that was probably more than 3yrs ago now - as my project is coming up to three years :(

looks amazing now!

Reckon that would have been in about 2006 remeber you chaps coming over from Aber, your dad as well, cheers for the feedback and goodluck with your resto, will keeo a look out for it on the roads..

Haveacamper said:
Saw your bus parked at the front of the day visitors car park at Vanfest on the saturday. I must say that your bus looks amazing. the spray job is awesome - very striaght panels

Nice work

Cheers dude very happy with the Bus now still bits to do but at a more leisurely pace these days...

Realised I didn't put any pictures up of the wardrobe so here are a few to show the finnished article. Still need to do some door cards etc. Should be done over the winter, interior tidying up which hopefully will progress over the winter....

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_9308.jpg

Rear bumper brackets made and bumper fitted at last although still some fettling to do.
Next job door cards and new bunk covers to sort....

Latest posts