71 Dormobile " The Beginning "

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing what a bit of paint does (or in the case of the roof, no paint).
Looking good :)

On to the drivers side,
Sill,
[

Replace new wheel tub and floor pan

Less rust more metal, moving in the right direction.

More work on the nether regions
Before

After

Starting to look shiny more than rusty!

Looking great. When she’s (or maybe he’s) up and running....it’ll be ace. Something to really look forward to and provide positive vibes. Must say, after mine was back on the road having been out of my life for a couple of years, my smile was a constant presence. Still is. All the best.

A bit of go forward,

Will be getting to a point soon where we can cover the bottom with epoxy 121
Onwards and backwards

Some 71's had welded pans from the factory (like mine). Not sure which ones had them, whether it was an option or because it was 'destined for a camper conversion'. Would be interested to know.

Yeah, had belly pans I guess from original welded. This kept the floor in good condition but buggered the chassis rails!
New belly pans held with captive nuts to allow for inspections and cleaning/rust protection.

Gjb4212 said:
Yeah, had belly pans I guess from original welded. This kept the floor in good condition but buggered the chassis rails!
New belly pans held with captive nuts to allow for inspections and cleaning/rust protection.
That's my plan too. As soon as I can get underneath with a grinder that pan's coming off. I shoved a borescope down there a couple weeks ago but it was quite difficult to see anything.

Coda said:
Gjb4212 said:
That's my plan too. As soon as I can get underneath with a grinder that pan's coming off. I shoved a borescope down there a couple weeks ago but it was quite difficult to see anything.

Check out my pics on the first page to see what it can look like!!

Some more bits coming along.
Getting prepped underneath for painting

Weld the seat runners onto new tub and check it fits

Roof about done and awaiting paint. Majority of welding done. Soon to start fitting the new beam and suspension to get it rolling on wheels(thinking Cosmic’s?)

Started to think about colour of paint now!!
12 years and counting. :shock:

Nice work, wish I had a unit and a rotisserie when I was doing mine. Keep up the good work...

Had a number of items blasted years ago including the doors. Unfortunately the skins stretched so off they come.

The rest of the door is solid as due to being imports from dry states.

New skin

Back in place

After a lot of chopping and welding the rear panel needed some work to get straight

Onwards and backwards!

Gjb4212 said:
Some more bits coming along.
Getting prepped underneath for painting

Weld the seat runners onto new tub and check it fits

Roof about done and awaiting paint. Majority of welding done. Soon to start fitting the new beam and suspension to get it rolling on wheels(thinking Cosmic’s?)

Started to think about colour of paint now!!
12 years and counting. :shock:

In this second picture,I had to look more than twice as the crap in the ribs of the floor and the colour made it really look like floor boards,I’m thinking why would you have put floor boards in??? Then I’m thinking, wow you must be some welder if you can weld wood :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, once seen,I can’t un see :mrgreen:

Latest posts