'71 rolling resto Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handy with a jigsaw then 8)

Looks very nice - can't wait to see them finished. ;)

Cheers guys, the hardest bit is remembering which way the grain of the wood is running and where the piece you're cutting is going to be fixed. That, and the bloody radiused corners. I think that piece is the 3rd one I cut out, and that wood aint cheap. If I have any left after doing the other cabinets then I'll probably give it another go.

I have bought a new exhaust from Turbo Thomas to fit to the bus. The only problem I hit was wrapping the header in heat wrap. I ordered 10m of inch wide from ebay. Then had to get another cos that only did one side! So over 20m of inch wide heat wrap covers a 4-1 header system and man does it itch!!
So here is a picture of it fitted and it sounds awesome. It has given me a little more ground clearance so this should help when the bus goes lower.
P1010191.jpg

I have been busy over the past couple of months trying to sort out this damned interior. But before I did the interior I had to get the new sender units for my oil pressure and temperature fitted so that when I laid the new floor all the wires ran underneath the boards.
The dials I got from Early VW on here, they're from across the pond which is a reason I had a little hitch. I bought a T piece from VWHeritage so that the new pressure sender could be fitted, y'know M10 std size...... :roll: Then when it came through and compared with the sender unit realised cos it's from one of the colonies it wasn't bloody metric :x So then I had to search around to find a piece that had the correct thread to go into the block, take the oil warning light (which are metric)and 1/8" NPT. Finally found one fitted it up and then wired it all in.
So this past week I have been laying the flooring, and then have fitted my units. Now just need to fit the fridge and hob back in and then fabricate the unit that will house the sink unit.

P1010208.jpg

P1010211.jpg

P1010213.jpg

P1010214.jpg

Nice work 8)

Did you decide not to treat the surface rust before fitting the new floor??

Time for a quick update. Just been over to the engine builders (RNJ Motorsport) to drop off the tinware and the Turbo Thomas so that Rob can finish the build of my new 2110cc stroker with twin Weber 40s.

2110ccengine.jpg

Nice work that man! Liking the material on your kick panels...........oh and the engine :lol:

Just

Picked up the engine this morning from RNJ Motorsport.
b0493e17.jpg

Just got to add a few bits and bobs and should be ready to roll

Got the engine in on Friday, but as per my post in technical, can't fit the brace bar, so mocked it up. Everything else is now fitted including the heat exchanger pipes. Can't wait to fire it up!
57d3f973.jpg

I also have recently bought from VWH some new heat exchanger pipes since the controls are all now in working order, so now the engine is in tried fitting them today. The problem is that they are the same diameter as the pipes I'm trying to fit them to :x
686f3ec6.jpg

So I've removed the innards of the old ones and replaced with the ones from the new.
This is the state of the insides of the old ones.
9c421c19.jpg

Had a problem with the fuel pump relay not firing, and finally traced it to a bad earth. Clutch is a bit stiff, but I've adjusted it so all should be good tomorrow. The video is above

Took it out for a run today, popped to the shop quickly for some cash. Stood there getting my money looked over to the van, cos it was sounding awesome and saw oil absolutely pissing out of it :(
Quickly turned off the engine and found that the pipe from the external filter was sat on one of the exhaust tubes. Note to self, rubber and hot metal do not mix. I was quite literally 200 yes from home so bit the bullet and ran it home with what was left in the deep sump.
So then spent the next hour getting to my local motorfactors to get more tubing and fitting.
Finally sorted it and went for the engines first 17 miles :D
Engine seems a bit hot, running along duel carriageway at a steady 55mph, but also a bit tappety in the last mile. Something to have a look at tomorrow I guess.

Corr that motor sounds awesome dude! I saw you on the parkway on the way back from Stanford Hall. Your smile said it all Paul :D
Have you got an oil cooler on there cos the extra bhp will generate a good helping of heat? Are you around tomorrow evening?
I'd like to pop round for a nosey!

Chris.

Accelerator was a bit sticky yesterday when i took it for its first run so got back under the bus earlier to discover that the spring that attaches to the linkage at the front was broken, for how long I have no idea!!
So did a bit of fettling and reattached, hey presto new springy pedal, just like new.

Marv that engine is fookin cool, your wheels are my favourite too but i'm limited to wide five choices.

Can you pm me what that engine owes you all in, I keep thinking (mainly dreaming) about building one.

Mike.

Latest posts