71 Westy tintop Update 29th October Going to Auction

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool original '71 8) Nice work already

Just

edit: saw the date stamp 11/70 should have noticed the narrow 5's :roll:

how did you sleep the night before you had to go and collect it from the dock? must have been dead exciting!! good bus there though mate,can see why you went for a US bus = a lot less rust!
:mrgreen:

Allrighty then i love to see the buses i sent over to actually getting restored and loved. Man sorry about that engine being bad, was hoping for the best. bummer
I imagine he was not sleeping to good due to excitement but, bye the time the bus was shipped he knew well what he was getting, due to loads of pics, and a few phone calls from me to describe it.
I am certain that he will make a great bus out of it, and I was glad to help him find a good one to do up..Keep in touch and thanks for the referals since then i owe you ,and will take care of you I promise.. and you know my promises are good..
cya
john aka theovalguy
your friend
finding your dream cars in texas usa

Doris said:
how did you sleep the night before you had to go and collect it from the dock? must have been dead exciting!! good bus there though mate,can see why you went for a US bus = a lot less rust!
:mrgreen:

Was really nervous to be honest, even though i had spoke to John on the phone a few times and searched for him and found him everywhere on the internet and used kingstown shipping i still wasnt sure it was going to be there at the docks

Painted the inside of the petrol tank area, flatted it all off then some etch primer, high build filler primer, stonechip paint then a final coat of L90D !

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

Started to prep the other wheelarch and underneath

Traces of scorching from the fire

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

cleaned the Gearbox mount and a coat of etch primer ready for some satin black eventually

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Cleaned the tank sender up ready for refitting to the newly powder coated tank (forgot to take a pic of the tank :msn4: )

IMAG0138.jpg

Found this bugger when i took the tank out :shock:

DSC_1064.jpg

Decided to get another tailgate rather than repair the original

DSC_1049.jpg

DSC_1050.jpg

DSC_1051.jpg

Got one from Volksheaven, Had it blasted then i etched primed it

DSC_1076.jpg

DSC_1077.jpg

DSC_1078.jpg

Your not hanging around on this one...!!! As fast as i read the thread your adding more at the bottom...!!! :lol:
Keep up the good work..!! 8)

Wow Dale, just read through this again and your worse than me!

I'm painting the engine bay but not bothering with where the tank fits.

A few questions, I'm assuming you hired your trailer? how much did you pay for it? Only my mates off down to Felixstowe in a few weeks and the trailer I hired was a little precarious to say the least.

And secondly what powder coater do you use? are you happy with the results and where are they based.

Sorry for all the questions, your practically doing everything I am at the moment.. I might as well let you do the leg work ;) :lol:

Top work btw, we'll have to come down and have a nose someday 8)

hi, looking fab, is all that paint work under arch's etc from a can? looks good if so, just what im after. :D

I thought that about the tank area :mrgreen:
Think ive got a bit of OCD

I borrowed the trailer off a guy who i do some work for

The powder coaters are on Long Lane in Warrington off Winwick Rd, back of the collage, dont go to reception, just go round the back to a big roller shutter and ask for Jay, Cash is the order of the day :msn4: Its called Flare

I've had loads of stuff coated now, theres was only 1 thing that was a little bad but maybe it because i want it perfect :oops:

They do blasting aswell , just picked my engine lid, rear valance and slider rail covers up

69billy said:
hi, looking fab, is all that paint work under arch's etc from a can? looks good if so, just what im after. :D

Yep , well happy with the finish too :D

Tetrosyl Stonechip White, you can get it in Grey and Black as well

Bought it off Ebay from GSF £6 a can delivered, cheapest anywhere

Here you go....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280787684257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rallye dale said:
I thought that about the tank area :mrgreen:
The powder coaters are on Long Lane in Warrington off Winwick Rd, back of the collage, dont go to reception, just go round the back to a big roller shutter and ask for Jay, Cash is the order of the day :msn4: Its called Flare

I've had loads of stuff coated now, theres was only 1 thing that was a little bad but maybe it because i want it perfect :oops:

They do blasting aswell , just picked my engine lid, rear valance and slider rail covers up

Very handy to know, cheers.

If I get a minute tomorrow I'm off to Machine Mart in Warrington so might find them and have a butchers.

Painted the gearbox mount

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

Got home early friday so decided to clean the gearbox up a bit and paint the clutch cable and mount brackets

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

80 % of the rear is now stonechipped and some has a light coat of L90D

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

Got to extend this little lot when its all painted

IMAG0172.jpg

The OCD's kicked in again :oops:

After masking them all up, decided to remove all the suspension arms and hubs, spring plates off tomorrow (now ive read how to get them off :lol: )

Will now be painting them all and the drum back guards, all new wheel bearings and suspension rubbers

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

:lol: Dale you really are as bad as me with the ocd thing. you restore/repaint one thing and it just makes eveything else look shabby.

My other half doesnt get it at all, she stil doesnt believe my vans a light resto :shock: but just like you I want to do it right the first time of asking and wont cut corners.

Latest posts